• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Koei Tecmo: Atelier Ryza 2 Game Will Not Be Censored in West

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:13 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
That's good to know. I may not like the direction some Atelier games have gone in, but if it helps the franchise, who am I to complain?

Though, I just thought of something funny...Sony's now starting to be like what Nintendo used to be back in the 90s in terms of censorship policies. Remember when Nintendo used to censor every game they got their hands on, from editing skimpy outfits, changing dialogue, and refusing to make anything but kid friendly games?.

When games on the Playstation 5 start having violent content or beer drinking edited out then they'll be like Nintendo.

MoonPhase1 wrote:

Fairy Tail had Panty Shots but is now just a dark void. Fairy Tail is censored on all systems it is available on.

So that's on the hands of the game's publisher and not Sony?

Greed1914 wrote:
We've gotten to a point where things like the remaster of Gal Gun 1 are skipping a Playstation release, despite being on the platform originally. Honestly, one of the reasons I got a Switch recently was so I would have the option to play games the way the creators intended.

Which is completely open to interpretation and sometimes doesn't happen.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:31 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
We'll see. It isn't unheard of for a game to release uncensored, only to have a patch that does so. I've also seen companies claim that they didn't censor a game, but only adjusted certain parts of it for the audience in a particular region.

That seems downright devious. No doubt a way to market a product as being uncensored but then immediately releasing a patch to censor out the objectionable content so the translators can have their cake and eat it too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if people are into Japanese video games, I highly encourage them to take up learning the language themselves and avoiding the middleman. I did it 20 years ago to play old Japan only PC Engine and Sega Saturn games and it's been a priceless skillset ever since. I only foresee these issues getting worse and worse in the west going forward, and unlike anime or manga, it's more difficult and involved to fan translate a video game so there's not nearly as many alternative options available for this medium.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonix wrote:
The trailer had some thigh and butt censored with a dust cloud that covered even the UI. Looked like a cheap edit that was just done by Sony.

Nothing really new. I remember SNK Heroines having a similar thing. Japanese trailer showed the girls off in their cow bikini costumes while the American trailer used the most modest outfits they could in those exact scenes. Game was uncensored in the west, but the trailer was toned down since I guess Nintendo of America didn't want bikinis in their direct like Nintendo of Japan does.

But after Fairy Tail, I'd take a wait and see approach with this myself Laughing
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
Don't be so quick to believe those words.

The Fairy Tail producer said the FT game (also by Gust) wouldn't be censored despite the game already having censored content in it like Lucy's Sagittarius Star Form from the TV anime rather than from the manga and Dragon Cry movie (appeared before the TV version) then they added oil to the fire with the day 1 patch making the game fully censored. Trust was lost. Now you gotta wait after the game is released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2