• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kimagure Orange Road's Creator Izumi Matsumoto Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
At least he passed away peacefully. I can only imagine the pain he was in. While 61 is too young (especially for the Japanese) considering all those health problems he had I'm inclined to believe it was a miracle that he lived to 61. RIP.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:23 pm Reply with quote
As a massive fan of Kimagure Orange Road, this hits me hard.

RIP Matsumoto-sensei. Thank you for your wonderful art, your compelling characters and stories, and for Madoka Ayukawa.
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:02 am Reply with quote
Rest in peace friend.

Thanks for the KOR. I'll treasure my Orange Road blu-rays forever.

I remember discovering KOR from the magazine "Animerica" back in early 1997. After reading the review on it, I needed to find KOR. I was immediately hooked from the beginning. I bought every VHS tape, whatever CDs I could find. Bought the entire manga (untranslated) plus the 3 Shin KOR novels and other random colorized KOR manga.

In 2002, something awesome happened. AnimEigo ran a deadpool contest. Guess who won? Nearly fell off my chair that day. Robert Woodhead emailed me and told me choose SDF Macross DVD Box or the KOR Box set. I chose KOR of course. (Bought Macross in 2005 through a RightStuf sale).

It doesn't stop there. I got an email from Amazon JP (October 20, 2006) about a remastered KOR R2J DVD set coming out in 2007. You know I had to have it. Pre-ordered it. Arrived in March 2007.

Now, some of you may know me from Live-eviL fansubs. Me, Tofu and others fansubbed the first 17 episodes of KOR, plus the first episode in HD to honor Hiromi Tsuru. All taken down as soon Discotek Media announced the blu-rays.

As you can see, KOR has a special place in my heart.

- Mamo
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:37 am Reply with quote
Although I never read "Kimagure Orange Road,"it's still sad to hear that this guy passed away. He didn't deserve to be in such pain and he deserved to live a lot longer and continue to draw. It's a shame that didn't happen. It's sad that he didn't get to draw again but unfortunately,that's the hand he was dealt.

RIP Mr. Matsumoto. You deserved a lot better than this. Sad
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:32 am Reply with quote
RIP, Matsumoto-san!
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:22 am Reply with quote
Rest in peace.

I managed to see him in person in the Barcelona Manga Salon. To some extent, it was his Kimagure Orange Road what started this love for manga and anime of mine. Heck, our first fanzine was called "Kimagure" after the series*.

The world is a bit darker now.

* dunno in the US, but in Europe, KOR was huge.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:22 am Reply with quote
I am truly saddened by this news. He was a big inspiration for me during my early days as an anime fan. A close friend of mine was much more of a diehard Orange Road fan so he would get the manga and I'd tend to just get the episodes and we'd share each others videos and manga or read & watch them together. Him and I differed frequently in our manga interests but Orange Road was definitely one we had a shared interest.

I wasn't so aware of Matsumoto-sans ongoing heath issues. At least his passing was peaceful and comfortable as was reported. Condolences to loved ones and friends.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:20 am Reply with quote
Very, very sorry to hear this. I was aware he'd been ill for a long time, but had always hoped he would get better.

In the late 90s, KOR was one of the most talked-about shows on rec.arts.anime.misc. People were PASSIONATE about Madoka--I remember somebody even having a web server or something they'd named after her. At that time, AnimEigo had released only the OVAs and movie, although the TV series apparently got around pretty well via VHS fansubs. KOR's love triangle was one of the big anime relationships that people would talk and argue about endlessly--if you were on that board at that time, you knew what KOR was, even if you might not have easy access to it.

Fun times. I miss them. I hope Matsumoto knew how much people loved his creation and appreciated him for it. Thank you, Matsumoto-sensei, for that golden summer mirage.
Rednimue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:20 am Reply with quote
I'm filled with incredibile sadness by this news...

May he rest in peace, I love Kimagure Orange road Sad
-SP-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:38 pm Reply with quote
RIP, I finished Kimagure just last month and the printed manga was finally starting to be available in the US

I think dying in your sleep is one of the worst ways to go out, going to sleep expecting to wake up tomorrow, but instead never waking up again.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Rest in peace, Matsumoto-sensei, and thank you for Madoka.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:16 pm Reply with quote
A shame. We've lost far too many people, far too soon, this year.

It's been quite some time since I've read KOR, but I suppose now is a good time to give it a reread.
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:18 pm Reply with quote
What sad news :-(

I discovered Kimagure Orange Road on French TV in late 1992 and was immediately hooked. I discovered the original japanese title a few months later thanks to an add by AnimEigo in Animerica Magazine and I managed to get the OAVs on VHS soon after. In 1994 I started to buy the manga. Volume 17 was my very first manga in Japanese and I was lucky enough to find a collection of short stories by Matsumoto and his "Sesame Street" manga as well. My love for KOR didn't stop there though. I got most of the CDs, the TV series on japanese Laserdisc and DVDs, and the US releases on DVD and BluRay. And I even got three cels. That's how strong my love for this show was and still is.
I wish I had the chance to meet Matsumoto sensei at a con, but alas I never did.

May he rest in peace.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bronya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
RIP
Heibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Very sad to hear this. KOR was one of the first series of his I ever watched and was one of my favorites to this day. Rest in peace, Mr Matsumoto, and know that you will always have fans of your works all over this world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3