• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Wandering Witch - The Journey of Elaina

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seagloom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:13 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
I really wish the returning characters such as Saya and Flan were in more episodes.

The director has already gone out of his way to make that happen. I suspected as much midway through the cour and posted about it weeks ago, but it was apparently confirmed by him in a recent interview. He wanted to piece together a more consistent narrative by animating stories those characters appear in. To the point he leapfrogged over four volumes of content to achieve that.

While I wouldn't rate the LNs highly for various reasons, I really think this adaptation does a poor job of capturing what makes them entertaining, if not necessarily cleverly written reads. Which is a minority opinion I guess, since every source reader I see online seems to agree this is an excellent adaptation of a nigh masterpiece.

I can't even blame people for hating on this series when it spends half its run being a mediocre CGDCT then drops in one of the blander darker stories (worsening it, no less) while skipping over a much better earlier one. Or leaving out stories that are plain bizarre without being ridiculous or tragic. The gradient in tone shouldn't constantly flip between 100% silly and total edge. Even the better yuri stuff with more positively portrayed gay couples is cut out in favor of Saya's creepy crush.

I knew from the start this show would be polarizing given the LN's occasionally distasteful commentary and was looking forward to watching the fallout; but it feels like that is more a result of the director's poor choices than the material itself. It's a little frustrating and amusing watching the expected outcome unfold for completely unexpected reasons.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:08 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
It wasn't that he found the child being mentally broken and brutally killed funny. It was the show's overall tone-deaf, needlessly over-the-top handling of the subject matter he found to be unintentionally funny.

And as a result, he (and some fraction of the rest of you) now understand how I felt watching Promised Neverland. Except that show got much better towards the end, while this one apparently went the exact opposite direction.

On the plus side, I guess I don't need to consider buying a Funi subscription to watch it.
Insomniabulist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:49 am Reply with quote
I agree that it feels as though much of the reviewer's criticism of the show stems from it turning out to be a different show than they believed that they were getting into. For example, with Episode 4 they stated, "I absolutely would prefer a return to the inaugural focus on character and whimsy over the bleaker fare", yet four episodes straight of light-hearted episodes brought more complaints. I can understand that the reviewer didn't like the comedy, but their criticism seemed to boil down to "I personally don't care for this brand of comedy and therefore it's objectively bad." I personally did find it funny, and I found the criticism of it being anachronistic somewhat odd since Elaina's world has been shown to be anachronistic since the end of Episode 2, where she's reading the newspaper in an almost modern-looking city. Episode 8 in particular I found to be less a brand of "otaku in-jokes", since people have been weird perverts since the dawn of time.

In the case of this episode, I agree that there were some flaws, namely that the edge was laid on a bit thick, but I feel like the review was solely focused on "this is edgy therefore its bad" without going into any other aspects of the episode, since there was more to it than just edge. Elaina's attitude throughout, for one, while being forced to witness the entire thing unfold and being unable to distance herself from it, being forced to confront the limitations of considering herself just an ordinary traveler, really breaking down and showing emotional vulnerability for the first time since Episode 1, and what I feel is the implication that the warning signs were visible from the start and that Estelle was blinded by love. I feel like it did a good job of being a story about horror, if not fully succeeding as a horror story.
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:03 am Reply with quote
Another ridiculous episode, but this time to receive one about fetishes we got a weird time travel episode where they go back in time to save a sadistic serial killer in where you’re supposed to take some kid’s word that she was abused, so it’s a-ok to kill them, but if you edited out just ten seconds of the episode, all that justification would have been gone.
It’d be way more belieable if they made it so she was always a crazy murdering lunatic, without needing to be diddled.
As for the character of Elaina.... if there is something worse than a potato harem lead, that is an arrogant useless, she calls herself inexperienced and useless for not being able to help, but she's the one who didn’t try until it was too late also she ran out of the house while the other witch bleeds out, not even getting help for her.
I don't understand how the authors always use a main girl who is supposed to be a prodigy in situations where she is humiliated, while the MC boy who has a disadvantage shows in the first arc that he is the only useful character in the whole series, for example in mahouka or classroom elite.

ThrowMeOut wrote:
I may not be big on Talentless Nana but it is, at least, tonally consistent. We're not swinging from wacky lighthearted hijinks to literal child murder.

also talentless nana has a reason to delve in tone extremes between school comedy and the dark side due to the same premise. wandering witch add some dark stuff for no reason and no logic.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:19 am Reply with quote
Insomniabulist wrote:
I agree that it feels as though much of the reviewer's criticism of the show stems from it turning out to be a different show than they believed that they were getting into. For example, with Episode 4 they stated, "I absolutely would prefer a return to the inaugural focus on character and whimsy over the bleaker fare", yet four episodes straight of light-hearted episodes brought more complaints.

Well yeah, because when I said I wanted the show to go back to the general realm of the first 2 episodes, it was because its attempts at darker stories was too thinly written and aimless. What we got after that was just as thinly written, but instead of ending on a dour monologue from Elaina it ended on gags about foot fetishes. My issue isn't that WW isn't "the show I wanted" whatever that means, but that what I've seen has been an increasingly poorly written anthology series that rarely makes good use of the time it has and that came to a head in this episode that was so rote, clumsy, and inept at what it was trying to accomplish that I had the exact opposite reaction it intended.
Insomniabulist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:52 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Well yeah, because when I said I wanted the show to go back to the general realm of the first 2 episodes, it was because its attempts at darker stories was too thinly written and aimless. What we got after that was just as thinly written, but instead of ending on a dour monologue from Elaina it ended on gags about foot fetishes. My issue isn't that WW isn't "the show I wanted" whatever that means, but that what I've seen has been an increasingly poorly written anthology series that rarely makes good use of the time it has and that came to a head in this episode that was so rote, clumsy, and inept at what it was trying to accomplish that I had the exact opposite reaction it intended.

My issue is that the sole argument for why its poorly written seems to be "I personally didn't like it," as you haven't really gone into any other reason besides, for example, "I find a story with jokes about anime girl feet to be crude." And in this review in particular, while I understand not liking how heavily the edge was piled on, that's the only thing that the review goes into while ignoring the other aspects of the episode. It reads as if you were so eager to vent your personal dislike of the episode that you did not look at it as critically as a reviewer should.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
Insomniabulist wrote:
lossthief wrote:

My issue is that the sole argument for why its poorly written seems to be "I personally didn't like it," as you haven't really gone into any other reason besides, for example, "I find a story with jokes about anime girl feet to be crude." And in this review in particular, while I understand not liking how heavily the edge was piled on, that's the only thing that the review goes into while ignoring the other aspects of the episode. It reads as if you were so eager to vent your personal dislike of the episode that you did not look at it as critically as a reviewer should.

Reviews are inherently personal, and it's entirely reasonable to find something so bad that the details don't actually mean anything to you because they don't even come close to making up for how terrible the story is. If the narrative on display is so amazingly incompetent, then other aspects of the episode, whether it be the script, the production, whatever, need to be positively stellar. Otherwise, they aren't gonna do much to change your mind.
Insomniabulist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:02 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Reviews are inherently personal, and it's entirely reasonable to find something so bad that the details don't actually mean anything to you because they don't even come close to making up for how terrible the story is. If the narrative on display is so amazingly incompetent, then other aspects of the episode, whether it be the script, the production, whatever, need to be positively stellar. Otherwise, they aren't gonna do much to change your mind.

I agree that reviews are inherently personal, but that doesn't mean that they should be entirely so. A review should also contain critical analysis, which is used to justify the personal judgement ultimately given. Otherwise there isn't much to separate a review from a forum post.

And what does it mean for a narrative to be "amazingly incompetent" so as to be self-evident? I don't agree that the story was so bad that it doesn't require any other judgement besides "this sucks."
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:
Like, why the hell did the girl have so much blood in her mouth? Did she bit her victims to death? No, that can't be right, the show says she stabbed them. Did she drink their blood after killing them? Dammit, show, tell me how all that blood ended up in her mouth! You can't possibly tell me it's to make her look edgier!

I was wondering that too! I know it was meant to be horror aesthetic but I was just like... ???????? Question
Where did that blood come from? Does she lick her hands clean after each murder?
Even though I know the general reason I still found myself wondering...
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Seagloom wrote:
Random Name wrote:
I really wish the returning characters such as Saya and Flan were in more episodes.

The director has already gone out of his way to make that happen. I suspected as much midway through the cour and posted about it weeks ago, but it was apparently confirmed by him in a recent interview. He wanted to piece together a more consistent narrative by animating stories those characters appear in. To the point he leapfrogged over four volumes of content to achieve that.

While I wouldn't rate the LNs highly for various reasons, I really think this adaptation does a poor job of capturing what makes them entertaining, if not necessarily cleverly written reads. Which is a minority opinion I guess, since every source reader I see online seems to agree this is an excellent adaptation of a nigh masterpiece.

I can't even blame people for hating on this series when it spends half its run being a mediocre CGDCT then drops in one of the blander darker stories (worsening it, no less) while skipping over a much better earlier one. Or leaving out stories that are plain bizarre without being ridiculous or tragic. The gradient in tone shouldn't constantly flip between 100% silly and total edge. Even the better yuri stuff with more positively portrayed gay couples is cut out in favor of Saya's creepy crush.

I knew from the start this show would be polarizing given the LN's occasionally distasteful commentary and was looking forward to watching the fallout; but it feels like that is more a result of the director's poor choices than the material itself. It's a little frustrating and amusing watching the expected outcome unfold for completely unexpected reasons.

What you describe shows that it seems much better to me as anime-only viewer. The fourth episode, from what I've read in the review, had a story where Elaina has arrived after tragedy already happened, and most she did was learn even more of the horrible truth, which is how most darker episodes of passing travelers anime usually are, so we don't have to blame the MC. But no, they had to start dark stuff with two stories where I couldn't see why she couldn't or shouldn't try to make a difference. The ridiculous gore in the last episode is also apparently anime addition. I also was creeped out by Saya, so I had one-two punch of bad and worse episode to make me drop out, and didn't have a reason to look forward to lighter episodes with her. Pity, because Elaina could be interesting "shitty" character, somewhat like Aqua, if she wasn't so often put in scenarios where her attitude was part of the moral equation. Let the bratty witch go through weird towns where what she does can't matter much anyway, because the the weirdness of the town is the main draw of the story, and the morality is hazy like in some Kino episodes spoiler[like the one where wife of a murder victim murders reformed murderer], and it could be much better thing.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:
Anyhow, as for the episode, I'm gonna be honest, I was paying too much attention to weird little details to be shocked, or terrified or laughing.

Like, why the hell did the girl have so much blood in her mouth? Did she bit her victims to death? No, that can't be right, the show says she stabbed them. Did she drink their blood after killing them? Dammit, show, tell me how all that blood ended up in her mouth! You can't possibly tell me it's to make her look edgier!

I was analyzing those things too! Like, why or how the f*** did the girl cut off her father's arm and leg???
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:35 am Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:
Like, why the hell did the girl have so much blood in her mouth? Did she bit her victims to death? No, that can't be right, the show says she stabbed them. Did she drink their blood after killing them?

The answer is obvious. She's a villain, she had a bladed weapon, and so naturally she licked it.

Apparently she carelessly cuts her tongue when doing so, since it was still bleeding profusely even after she was locked up.

So does this town have like Hogwarts-style newspaper photos?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Insomniabulist wrote:
lossthief wrote:

The fact that you complain and say he hasn't given any real reasons for why it's poorly written in a post where you quote him saying exactly why is rather ironic. It seems like you simply don't like his reviews because his opinions don't mirror your own. I think you should stick to opinions about the show and not the reviewer. Especially if you're going o complain about things he has not said while quoting those very things he did in fact say.
Insomniabulist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
The fact that you complain and say he hasn't given any real reasons for why it's poorly written in a post where you quote him saying exactly why is rather ironic. It seems like you simply don't like his reviews because his opinions don't mirror your own. I think you should stick to opinions about the show and not the reviewer. Especially if you're going o complain about things he has not said while quoting those very things he did in fact say.

In the post you refer to I was not talking about what they had posted in the forum, I was talking about what they had posted in the review, which I can quote right here:

Quote:
What follows is easily one of the most embarrassing attempts at shock horror I've seen in quite some time, as the grade-schooler Selena, blood caked in her teeth, calmly explained how her parents abused her and that turned her into a maniacal killer who literally soaks in the ecstasy of murder. Then an enraged Estelle proceeded to magically brutalize a 4th grader while the kid cackled madly, in perhaps the most lovingly animated sequence of child murder I've ever seen. Sadly all that craft is wasted on a fundamentally busted narrative idea that's so poorly written I wondered if this show had been a parody all along. There was actually a content warning at the start of this episode, and in a vacuum, I can see why watching a kid get decapitated on-screen would warrant that, but for my money the entire sequence was so colossally dumb that no amount of gore could leave an impact. It's that bad.

The sequence is described as "embarrassing" and "shock horror", yet the rest of the first two sentences only describe the events of the sequence, with only the last part, "in perhaps the most lovingly animated sequence of child murder I've ever seen", offering a value judgement (one that's technically positive!).

In the next sentence, we hear that the craft is "wasted on a fundamentally busted narrative idea" that is "poorly written," yet there is nothing describing why the narrative idea is "fundamentally busted", what about it is "poorly written", or even what "narrative" idea is being referred to-- is it child murder, a frequent occurence in less critically-savaged shows such as Higurashi GOU and Talentless Nana? Although they are different types of shows reviewed by different reviewers, the "narrative idea" is similar.

The only value judgment in the rest of that quote is in the penultimate sentence, wherein the sequence is called "colossally dumb," but again, nothing explain why it's dumb.

So what we're left with is a lot of value judgments but nothing to actually support them, instead asking the reader to take the reviewer's word for it that it's bad. There's no elaboration on why its actually bad.

There is some actual criticism in the second paragraph, where the mechanics of the time travel plot are considered to be confusing, although I personally disagree with this in that I found it to be very easy to grasp and in line with the plot of the episode (Estelle wants to create an alternate timeline where Selena grows up happy, confirming her belief that Selena isn't inherently an evil person). But that's a matter my personal taste.

A critique isn't the same as a personal attack; I'm not trying to attack anyone. To be honest I am slightly upset by the review since I believe that the reviewer was too harsh, and just as the reviewer has the right to their opinion, I have the right to an opinion about the opinion so long as nobody is launching personal attacks.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I think the fundamentally busted narrative idea is the link between how her parents abused her and how that turned her into a killer who literally soaks in the ecstasy of murder. As for the poor writing, I think that would refer to how calmly she explains that to a time-traveler while standing on top of three bodies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 18