• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Lotus Viridis wrote:
I just have to say that I am loving the preview image changes. The tiny old squares were just a tad bit unappealing. This looks much nicer!

Glad you like it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Guilty Crown, aka one of the worst anime viewing experiences I've ever brought upon myself.

Gonna be honest, i'm not sure what was so bad about GC. Might be my memories as a 12 year old influencing me, but still...
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:
Guilty Crown, aka one of the worst anime viewing experiences I've ever brought upon myself.

Gonna be honest, i'm not sure what was so bad about GC. Might be my memories as a 12 year old influencing me, but still...
Speaking as someone who just watched GC a couple years ago... plot makes no sense, it's edgy to the point of hilarity, tries to be suuuuper serious with no understanding of what being serious actually means, the protagonist is repulsive, it's super sexist towards all its female characters, and there's that one subplot about spoiler[Shu's sister wanting to bone him so badly she triggers the apocalypse.]

So... yeah, it's pretty bad. First show I ever gave a 1/10.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Farewell, My Dear Cramer had really fun characters backed up with a solid potential sports story. And that's a good thing because the animation for the soccer action were just....okay. At the very least it's not a dumpster fire like Tamayomi was, but it REALLY shows the state of female sports anime in general especially in comparison to male sports anime. Yeah, there's Uma Musume which is quickly becoming another success for Cygames, but that relied on fantastical gimmicks with horse girls in for what's essentially a sprint sports show.

And really, for Farewell, My Dear Cramer being done by the same manga-ka who did the hit Your Lie in April, you'd think someone up in the production staff would gave Cramer more oomph. I will grant them though that the same staff actually do a prequel movie so there is some form of completeness and care they want out of this. And I get that everyone in the industry is stretch thin so it's a shame this got the short end of the stick.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:52 pm Reply with quote
7 Knight Revolution was just the way I like my anime sometimes; a nicely animated, decent middle of the road fantasy piece with some transformations in it. I still love My Otome, and this had a similar sort of feel to it. I guess My otome crossed with playing Fate Grand Order. Very Happy

Its nothing to write home about to be sure, but I found it quite fun.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:07 pm Reply with quote
If Seven Knights Revolution is based on a gatcha game, I’m surprised they went with Seven in the title rather than something more like 20,000 Knights Under the Sea.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:46 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:

Guilty crown wasn't so much as extraordinary bad (every season there's some worse show) but most bad shows are bad because they lacked resources or talented peoples. GC had both and still managed to make a terrible show. On top of that it had a big marketing budget so plenty of people watched it compared to most bad shows.

It did have a great OP song though.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:55 pm Reply with quote
i think I've seen Guilty Crown but have no strong memories of it, so I guess it didn't stick for me.

Those Snow White Notes; Im glad I tried it, the first episode was very good. And the hip-hop/pop Shamisan track at the end credits was awesome!
Mr Who Cares

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I'm going to be in the minority with this opinion but Vivy just isn't doing anything for me. While the world seems interesting and the story intriguing, the way Tappei Nagatsuki writes dialogue just isn't my cup of tea. I only started to notice it towards the end of Re:Zero's most recent season but a lot of that show's dialogue is too long, needlessly wordy and feels artificial. It all works to take me out of the moment, rather than immerse me in it.

With Vivy, in particular, it's primarily that damn bear! He's essentially the embodiment of everything I dislike about Re:Zero's writing. Run-on sentences, verbiage for days and even the voice actor speaks so rapidly that my eyes feel like they're about to combust just trying to keep up. That Red-Eyes Black Paddington made me want to stop watching the show as soon as he started talking and it only gets worse.

Admittedly, everything I've just said is entirely subjective. On top of that, I think the issue is exacerbated by the fact that I have to read the dialogue, rather than simply listen to it. If that were the case, my tolerance for the bear may very well change. Unfortunately, Nagatsuki's style of writing would still be a problem for me, even then. Hopefully, if Vivy gets dubbed, how it handles the bear may alleviate things, slightly. It has enough of a hook that I want to see where it goes but I'm not sure if I can stick with it, either.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:28 pm Reply with quote
The Anime Binge-Watcher wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:

Speaking as someone who just watched GC a couple years ago... plot makes no sense, it's edgy to the point of hilarity, tries to be suuuuper serious with no understanding of what being serious actually means, the protagonist is repulsive, it's super sexist towards all its female characters, and there's that one subplot about spoiler[Shu's sister wanting to bone him so badly she triggers the apocalypse.]

So... yeah, it's pretty bad. First show I ever gave a 1/10.

The thing in spoiler tags reminds me of spoiler[Shinji and Rei. Literally triggering the 3rd Impact cause of her lmao]
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:28 pm Reply with quote
This season has been really weak so far. I'm not impressed with any of the anime at all. Moriarty is a continuation so I don't really consider it as "new"

Among the other animes, I really enjoy the dragon one. It is light and good to pass time. It is not impressive but it is enjoyable.

I watched combatants will be dispatched! and sorry but it was terrible. This humor is not of my liking at all. The guy is annoying and stupid, the blonde girl is cliche, and the rest of the characters are boring af. A huge bye to this anime.

I haven't watched those snow white notes yet, but it is on my list. I hope it is good.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:17 pm Reply with quote
James Beckett wrote:
The story [...] begins with a violent revolt of AI machines that feels ripped straight out of the Second Renaissance short films that Mahiro Maeda produced for The Animatrix.

I was getting more Itchy & Scratchy Land vibes...
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Zzshcl wrote:
This season has been really weak so far. I'm not impressed with any of the anime at all. Moriarty is a continuation so I don't really consider it as "new"

I hear good things about To Your Eternity, coming soon.

If you haven’t seen Mars Red, I recommend checking it out at least. While likely not for everyone, a good number of people panning the first episode have actually missed the plot entirely.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Megalobox 2 was great. Dark as hell, but great!
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
In any event, this could be yet another perfectly serviceable fantasy anime based on a mobile game – and the only way to get your sword-and-sorcery fix.
I feel like the mobile game industry has been driving a resurgence of very old-fashioned anime stories. Hortensia Saga and King's Raid just wrapped up, which were both also pretty traditional sword-and-sorcery stories. Not that I'm complaining, the classics are classic for a reason. I'm not so sure about this one, with them heading over to a school next, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 25