• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Babylon 2021 Studio GoHands Sues King Records for 450 Million Yen Over Canceled Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jefcat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:43 am Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
When GoHands stole stuff they broke whatever contract they had.

As others have said, it’s not that simple. King Records would need to first prove the plagiarism (that looks simple enough from what was released, but then they’d need to show why on an otherwise finished product, they didn’t allow GoHands to remedy the problem. KR didn’t cancel the show when they first received the first cour. They waited four months, until almost the date the show was set to debut. That’s going to need some justification. And the “plagiarism” consists, apparently, of character designs referencing outside designs. That isn’t altogether unusual. Artists take inspiration from original sources relatively often. Did the character designer copy outside fashion design? Yes. Did the QC fail to catch that? Seems so. Could those issues be settled? That’s where NONE of these stories has offered a clue. Remedy doesn’t just include redrawing the designs with new costumes. When the problem was revealed, was there any attempt to license the designs? If not, why? That ought to have been a simple. Enough matter. Money and/or credit ought to have satisfied the problem. It’s definitely not a cut and dried case. KR has some explaining to do.
SlamMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:26 am Reply with quote
CountZeroOR wrote:
Well, considering the first 13 episodes were done, I guess I understand why GoHands keeps getting work - like Rob Liefeld, they get things turned in on time. It looks like garbage (and in this case it's plagiarized), but it was done, which, had it aired, would have meant the network would not have had to worry about materials either cutting it close or arriving late.

I'd just like to go on a tangent and point out that Rob Liefeld doesn't get things done on time and his bad habits are considered part of the reason Valiant Comics went under (he was working on a crossover between Image and Valiant and his portion was very late). How Rob Liefeld has a job is beyond me.
Millhi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:21 am Reply with quote
Even if GoHands wins this case, there's still a chance they're gonna lose out pretty hard in the end, solely bcs King Records has been one of their main benefactors in getting all of their recent shows funded and with this, there will be a high chance KR will simply stop funding GH shows.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:
Even if GoHands wins this case, there's still a chance they're gonna lose out pretty hard in the end, solely bcs King Records has been one of their main benefactors in getting all of their recent shows funded and with this, there will be a high chance KR will simply stop funding GH shows.

But would that stop them from going to another company like Kodensha to get their shows aired? Or could King just outright bar GoHands from making any other deals with other publishers if they win out?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3