• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fena: Pirate Princess

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:06 am Reply with quote
Arg! Such a frustrating show. Frustrating because it's almost a masterpiece, but the bland characters and tropey plot holds it back. I don't finish each episode hyped for the next one, I sit there in disappointment at all the big and tiny things holding it back. It is still technically "good," but it's so close to being "great" and that annoys the crap out of me. A heroine that isn't a helpless macguffin would be nice. A love interest that had a personality and didn't conclude every interaction with the heroine by violently knocking her unconscious would also be nice. The twins are nice but I liked them better in Ouran High School Host Club.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:18 am Reply with quote
Thanks, I hate it!
I good reminder to rewatch "Maria, the Virgin Witch" (that's also by Production IG).
Forum Thread
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
This episode was probably my favorite out of all of the episodes so far. I liked seeing Fena try - albeit with poor results - to take up a weapon in order to defend herself. Hopefully she does pick up some skills soon, so she could be more like the version of her from the initial promos. I also like how we're building up a bit more of the other character relationships with this episode, with the monologue from Shitan and his admiration for Yukimaru.

The Joan of Arc revelations are definitely interesting, and I'm curious where it may go from here. Fena (and Abel, most likely; agree that they have to be related somehow) could be a descendent of Joan, but I'm also wondering if there's not some sort of reincarnation element at play or something similar to Ceres, Celestial Legend. Likely thinking this because I got some pretty lustful vibes from Abel during the final scenes with the painting, and tying into the theory of relation, I'd rather there be some sort of "reason" behind it than thinking there might be some sort of incest vibe. Not that it's a good reason, by any means, but knowing that Aki was going after Aya because he was being controlled by a reincarnated spirit going after Aya's reincarnated spirit kinda helped to get through some of the creepier moments of the series.
Foranoda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:22 pm Reply with quote
What I personally really enjoyed about this episode is the attention to detail, specifically in the Ledger. The writing in there was actual, handwritten german, and not just some "Lorem Ipsum" stuff or random words strung together. No, it was actual descriptions of orders.

the ones fully or mostly legible say

"N2043 | Lapislazuli | tiefblau mir einer gleichmäßigen Marmorierung, ungewöhnlich groß für einen Kettenanhänger. Auftraggeber: Adel (mittler Stand)"
translation:
N2043 | Lapislazuli | deep blue with even marbling, unusually large for a chain-pendant. Client: Nobility (middle class)

"E854 | Saphir | mehrere Saphire in verschiedenen Größen. fünf kleinere, drei mittlere, zwei große (hellblau). für Ringe und Broschen. Auftraggeber: Handelshaus"
translation:
E854 | Sapphire | multiple Sapphires in varying sized. five smaller, three medium, 2 large (light blue). For Rings and Brooches. Client: Trading House

and, what I personally find the most interesting, aside from the order from La Pucelle:

"E1014 | Amethyst, Topas | für Krone. uneben, wirkt farblos. Auftraggeber: Königsfamilie"
translation:
E1014 | Amethyst, Topaz | for crown uneven, seems plain/colorless/pale. Client: Royal Family

the one for Fenas stone reads
"D3756 | | Verarbeitung eines vom Auftraggeber gebrachten Steins aus Fankreich. Auftraggeber: La Pucelle d'Orléans
translation:
D3756 | | Processing of stone brought in by the client from france. Client: La Pucelle d'Orléans

So yeah, they actually made a real effort to make the ledger look legitimate, and that is something I can appreciate deeply.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the translations, Foranoda! I thought it was pretty real-looking German, but my knowledge of the language is limited to what I can put together based on Yiddish, so I didn't want to mention it in the review.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I've been into Jeanne of Arc stories ever since the days of Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne so, yeah, this plot is cool with me.

I think the chemistry between Fena and Yukimaru is starting to feel more natural too...they are starting to make me smile a bit with how they both blush awkwardly around each other.

That portrait is most likely Fena's mother...and attached to the memory that she mentioned at the end of the episode.

@Foranoda

ORLY? That's pretty awesome. I also appreciate researched details like that. :O
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:

The Joan of Arc revelations are definitely interesting, and I'm curious where it may go from here. Fena (and Abel, most likely; agree that they have to be related somehow) could be a descendent of Joan, but I'm also wondering if there's not some sort of reincarnation element at play or something similar to Ceres, Celestial Legend.

I'm 99% sure is just an impostor, the most famous Jeanne pretender is exactly from 1436. I guess that in this story someone pretended to be her to have access to powerful people that would enable her to get that stone and send it to be worked.
edit: this Jehanne pretender also went on a tour as far as Germany

Last edited by Panino Manino on Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
HannoX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the idea that Fena is a many times great niece of Jeannie d'Arc, I believe she had at least two brothers (something I read somewhere). However, this being an anime I suppose she'll end up being a direct descendant or Jeannie reincarnated. I doubt the English would be too happy about the last considering the trouble she gave them the first time around. That may tie into the admiral's interest in her.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:30 am Reply with quote
When they said 1436, I knew there was a mistake. I've known about Joan of Arc's battles, and how she died in The Hundred Years War
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I think I enjoyed the most recent episode somewhat more than Rebecca did, because man I had an absolute blast with it. I am here for Indiana Jones globe-trotting tomb-raiding meets half-legendary historical figures and places. It was cool to see Fena finally get to act in a confident manner, even though I suspect it's possibly the result of some sort of "genetic memory" rather than her own past experiences. They're definitely setting up some sinister undertones as to just what the powers that be want with Fena; I sense some betrayal in the not-too-distant future.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I kinda saw the El Dorado thing coming because I noticed the official English version of the opening, which is excellent by the way and I have no clue why it's not used in the dub, has the lyric "Carry on, to unveil of the promised El Dorado". No clue if the jp version has an equivalent line, since all the lyric lists I can find seem to be of the English version.

Now how it's fitting into the plot alongside Joan of Arc I have no freaking clue lol. Guess I'll just have to wait until next week to see what they mean. This episode was mainly just pushing the story along though the teaser of the Goblin Knights being assassins was really interesting.

Edit: I've listened to the jp version more, and it seems like she does say "El Dorado" but mixed in with the Japanese it was harder for me to notice.

Last edited by MagicPolly on Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:36 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:

Now how it's fitting into the plot alongside Joan of Arc I have no freaking clue lol.

Didn't watched the last episode yet, but I guess that it goes like this.
Like others already pointed this Joan must be a pretender, a famous one existed in that specific year. Like I said she traveled (doing magic tricks lol) all the way to Germany. Because a lot of people believe her my bet is that this pretender used her name to place that order for the stone to hide the true customer's name.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm more surprised that people are surprised about the El Dorado thing. Allusions about freedom and adventure are all well and good, but the reality when it comes down to it is piracy, the age of exploration for Europe (and mostly all ages of explorations), were about the search for treasure, in particular gold. I actually give them some credit for getting to the point here and not making up some pointless deductive loop of some city named something else but is actually just El Dorado.

My suspicion from early on that the piece of glass is just a slightly supernatural sunstone is feeling more and more likely.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Watched the episode #5 and my displeasure continues.
It's "too much like anime", the "bad parts" of anime that didn't need to be that but are because it's the convention.
I'm not a fan of mixing history with mystical influences, reinterpreting history and historical characters in irksome (IMO) ways. Plus everything already mentioned about this series, like how half the time Fena is a damsel and others have to save her because she is dumb and do the things in her place, and now even thought last episode had shown her willing to be stronger and stand by herself, now this episode negatives all her efforts by those "bad parts" of anime. In the end in the other half off time Fena is just "the chosen" with a "special bloodline" that the japanese seems to give so much importance and because of this she acted on full auto without even noticing. And of course, lets not forget the villains that have plenty of opportunity to kill our heroes but refuse to do so hard to explain reasons (if it was risky to try to kill everyone in a fight, just shot before going and take one of two from that dangerous group).

So... El Dorado...
From a MacGuffin to another? Where is the piracy?
There isn't much left to comment.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

I'm not a fan of mixing history with mystical influences, reinterpreting history and historical characters in irksome (IMO) ways...
So... El Dorado...
From a MacGuffin to another? Where is the piracy?

I can certainly understand that; much as I love the references to the pirate women, I can't say I love their depiction. Especially Cheng I Sao and Mary Read - they really were so much more than just famous names to be used.

As far as El Dorado, the closest link I can think of that specifically involves pirates would be Henry Morgan's raids on Portobello and Puerto Principe in the 17th century. So not totally off the mark, but the name "El Dorado" is definitely more associated with conquistadors. But yeah, not much actual piracy in the "robbery on the high seas" sense in the show so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 15