• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Actor, Pom Poko Lead Voice Actor Makoto Nonomura Hospitalized With COVID-19

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:03 am Reply with quote
Damn, that's awful. I know ambulances can't just be called in for any little cough and that they'd be pretty busy but their inaction nearly caused the poor man to die....

Hope he recovers without lingering issues
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:59 am Reply with quote
The hospitals must be packed if they decided an o2 sat under 90% at any time isn’t worth a quick trip to ER. Poor man had to suffer because healthcare workers have to decide who needs an ICU bed and who just has to roll the dice and hope they live without any severe complications.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:28 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
The hospitals must be packed if they decided an o2 sat under 90% at any time isn’t worth a quick trip to ER. Poor man had to suffer because healthcare workers have to decide who needs an ICU bed and who just has to roll the dice and hope they live without any severe complications.

They are. We’re in a state of emergency in Tokyo, yet the numbers aren’t falling. We’re getting 3,000~5,000 infected a day just in Tokyo.
There’s a severe lack of vaccines.
XSp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:36 pm Reply with quote
It's just sad that Japan will have to learn the hard way how incredibly stupid it was to hold the Olympics at the time it did, but I guess this is just the way it goes.
And don't even come at me with the prepared stupid speech that it didn't come from the Olympics, and that the thing lived in a bubble, yadda yadda. I know how the bs goes.
I'm not saying the virus came with athletes or that holding events without public didn't prevent things from getting even worse, but the truth of the pandemic, particularly this type of pandemic at this moment in time, respects no presumptuous, often ill-informed, government or man made barriers and limits.
You can put all the barriers you want, if it has even just an effect on how the local population behaves, it ends up spreading anyway. Particularly a new variant that is fooling current test methodology, but even if it didn't.
I'm sorry to hijack a thread about Nomura, I do hope he recovers, but it just needs to be said. I'm watching how many more people working in our beloved industries are coming down with Covid, how hospitals in Tokyo are collapsing, and it just pisses me off that this probably has a lot more to do with the Olympics than people know about.
If you read or watched anywhere, be it coming from Tokyo or japanese government, large media conglomerates particularly the ones profiting from the Olympics, among others saying the current pandemic crisis in Tokyo has nothing to do with the event - just know that this is pure unadulterated bs, and they know it. It was exactly the disruption caused by the Olympics, be it directly or indirectly, that led to this situation.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:03 pm Reply with quote
XSp wrote:
It's just sad that Japan will have to learn the hard way how incredibly stupid it was to hold the Olympics at the time it did, but I guess this is just the way it goes.
And don't even come at me with the prepared stupid speech that it didn't come from the Olympics, and that the thing lived in a bubble, yadda yadda. I know how the bs goes.
I'm not saying the virus came with athletes or that holding events without public didn't prevent things from getting even worse, but the truth of the pandemic, particularly this type of pandemic at this moment in time, respects no presumptuous, often ill-informed, government or man made barriers and limits.
You can put all the barriers you want, if it has even just an effect on how the local population behaves, it ends up spreading anyway. Particularly a new variant that is fooling current test methodology, but even if it didn't.
I'm sorry to hijack a thread about Nomura, I do hope he recovers, but it just needs to be said. I'm watching how many more people working in our beloved industries are coming down with Covid, how hospitals in Tokyo are collapsing, and it just pisses me off that this probably has a lot more to do with the Olympics than people know about.
If you read or watched anywhere, be it coming from Tokyo or japanese government, large media conglomerates particularly the ones profiting from the Olympics, among others saying the current pandemic crisis in Tokyo has nothing to do with the event - just know that this is pure unadulterated bs, and they know it. It was exactly the disruption caused by the Olympics, be it directly or indirectly, that led to this situation.

This has far more to do with Japan being profoundly terrible at rolling out a vaccine to its citizens and its utterly laughable half-assed "lockdown" measures than the Olympics. It blows my mind reading about how a state of emergency entails "Well, let's make sure we close the bars before 8 at night! That'll do it!"

And this is the second article in the past few days about someone having ambulances refuse to offer them service and winding up in serious condition as a result. Is this something that's a common occurrence in Japan? Because it seems absolutely unconscionable.
XSp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

This has far more to do with Japan being profoundly terrible at rolling out a vaccine to its citizens and its utterly laughable half-assed "lockdown" measures than the Olympics. It blows my mind reading about how a state of emergency entails "Well, let's make sure we close the bars before 8 at night! That'll do it!"

And this is the second article in the past few days about someone having ambulances refuse to offer them service and winding up in serious condition as a result. Is this something that's a common occurrence in Japan? Because it seems absolutely unconscionable.

I do very much agree with that too. Half-assed lockdown measures and the terrible vaccine roll out, very much indeed.

To fit with what I said, it's about holding the Olympics in a situation that was already a ticking time bomb scenario. The Olympics triggered the explosion.
The other thing is that Japan didn't experience huge spikes in cases previously, and are still getting mixed messaging from the government and authorities.

The only stuff I read and heard from interviews with government, people in Tokyo and Japan just shows an entire misunderstanding and often belittlement of what the pandemic is. All through 2020 when the pandemic was exploding in my country I was watching foreigners living in Japan wonder around, do interviews and whatnot with japanese people just going around their daily lives - with masks, yes, but not much more in preventive terms - saying they trusted the government and whatnot to control the pandemic there. It wasn't just people going to work or do the essentials, it was people on weekends doing leisure trips, eating out, window shopping and whatnot.

And to be fair, it is a carbon copy of what several other countries did until they got hit hard by it... only Japan had over a year to prepare, which is just sad.

Afaik, the ambulances refusing people is because hospitals have no room anymore... so it ends up being a problem of putting someone in an ambulance to add to the ambulance wait line that has nowhere to put patients in. Which we've seen happening in multiple countries already. So the border between telling patients with light symptoms to quarantine at home or take them into hospitals, with overflowing Covid patients, overworked staff, and no room to put them, starts getting blurred.

And given how ill informed and optimistic people were there, there's likely no official strategy for it just yet, which is also something that happened in most countries. Those usually only show up when the first huge sustained spike in cases happen, then people start knowing how to deal with the situation quicker, specific protocols are made out of necessity, and the message spreads out.

Just another puzzle piece showing how unprepared government and hospitals were, despite all the warnings, all the examples of what happens worldwide.

Maybe I'm just looking for justifications for all the tragedy that happened in my own country... in a twisted way, it's comforting to see it's not only my 3rd world underdeveloped backwards nation that got the entire thing wrong, with developed rich nations going the exact same way. But I guess more importantly, it's the sadness to see much more could've been done in Japan, including NOT holding the Olympics, and preventable sickness, trauma, death and sorrow coming out of it.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope he's able to stay stable to some extent and recover.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote
XSp wrote:
The only stuff I read and heard from interviews with government, people in Tokyo and Japan just shows an entire misunderstanding and often belittlement of what the pandemic is.

A Japanese twitter user said Japan does well with very old and established rules/customs, but anything new seems to throw a wrench in the system. I like how she said it’s similar to her asking for a menu item without a listed topping and the employees had no idea how to handle it since the the system couldn’t change how it rang up even though the writer didn’t mind paying full price. I hope I’m not making broad/offensive statements about Japanese culture, but I feel I had similar issues when I visited.

Top Gun wrote:

To be fair this isn’t an issue only in Japan. It happened a lot here in the US last year when hospitals were packed. Even today nurses/doctor have to choose which patient has a better chance of survival and focus resources away from patients in poorer health.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1