• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Region Lock Stock & Barrel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
on the topic of Blu-Ray and subtitles, Geneon recently released the Lain BD set with English dub but not subs. /rage
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
The problem with Japan releasing titles with English subtitles (and expecting to draw the overseas fans) is that it would need to be older titles that are out of print/were never released in America. There'd be some interest in that, because people who have been waiting for 20 years for something would be more willing to fork over cash than someone who's been waiting 2 months. Super-niche shows would work too: things that would never be released here in a blue moon.
And the money in Japan to make fancy releases of these things? Not a lot.

Series that are currently being released and are popular overseas, not so much: if there's a good chance it's going to be out here, priced more to American tastes, not that many people are going to bite. Take for example Tiger & Bunny: has a lot of super enthusiastic fans, has an English-subbed bluray release, but ask most of those fans and they'll say they're waiting for the American release so that they can save money (presumably to spend on Tiger & Bunny figures).

Quit thinking the USA is the whole English speaking world. You get the most big new titles released for almost any country outside Japan.
Europe is a big market, and most of us speak English. We don't get every show the US does, and barely any BDs (especialy not series). We're also used to paying twice as much as you lot for most of our media.

Rember even if it comes out in the USA that's no guarantee of a BD release, or that it will include the actual Japanese audio(K-on!, Zeta Gundam etc.) and almost certainly will lose the original extras.

Which shows get licenced in the USA is basicaly random, look at FUNimation's, NISA's and S23's recent licenses. Better to just do it for everything, especialy if it's got subs sitting around from a simulcast anyway. If you don't do it from the outset you can only do it on later remastered versions (boxsets, or cheap reissues), normaly years later long after any hype about the show is dead.
toyNN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
Actually, in the last year or so I see more and more Japanese BD releases that have English subtitles in Japan! These are still few and far between but they are steadily growing in number. I can't remember all I saw but here are examples of Japanese BDs with English subtitles I know of:

- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The Movie
- Black Rock Shooter
- Gundam Unicorn
- Read or Die
- Garden of Sinners
- Lucky Star

The fact that BD region includes Japan and US where as with DVD their in different regions is the main reason we're even seeing these now.

But I'd think its not such an easy call to say the Japanese BD releases should include the English subs. If a title has already been licensed in the US or potentially will be that license might not be as valuable if the title is already available with subs or it could be in the licensing contract that BD region 1 with English can only be produced by the US licensee.

The streaming region blocks always seems muddled but I think most are blocked because of licensors in the region. Hulu doesn't stream all to Canada because its the Canadian licensors who would be damaged if they did.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, I remember when I was a kid standing on line to see The Empire Strikes Back and some jerks coming out of the theater shouting "Darth Vader is Luke's father!" I was a kid and that totally screwed with me while I was watching the movie. This sort of situation happened again with some other movies as I was growing up and it made me pretty much not like spoilers. Its one thing if something is old and has reached iconic status or a high degree of cultural awareness (for example being parodied ad-nauseum), but things that are relatively new or hinge on a final WTH moment are definite no-nos on my list.

Minor spoilers don't bug me too much, but major ones do make me see red even if I've already seen the movie/show. I've seen that Amazon has used a reviewer for some of the anime titles that seems to put out spoilers in his reviews which never fails to annoy me. Mad
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
on the topic of Blu-Ray and subtitles, Geneon recently released the Lain BD set with English dub but not subs. /rage

wait how does that work?? geneon usa went out of business didn't.. even though I loved the lain dub and doing bluray is hard due in fact that America/japan are on the same region.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

wait how does that work?? geneon usa went out of business didn't.. even though I loved the lain dub and doing bluray is hard due in fact that America/japan are on the same region.

Geneon Universal still exists in Japan. Geneon USA is dead in the water never to come back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:

Series that are currently being released and are popular overseas, not so much: if there's a good chance it's going to be out here, priced more to American tastes, not that many people are going to bite. Take for example Tiger & Bunny: has a lot of super enthusiastic fans, has an English-subbed bluray release, but ask most of those fans and they'll say they're waiting for the American release so that they can save money (presumably to spend on Tiger & Bunny figures).

Personally I'm one of the super enthusiastic Tiger & Bunny fans that's buying the Japanese BDs. I normally don't import but the fact that the BDs had English subs was what tipped things to feeling it would be something I would feel was worth it. And since I managed to get the LE versions for everything so far I feel it's really worth it seeing how it would be impossible to get the LE versions at a decent price now with how small the print run was for the first volume. I also doubt that if it gets a NA release it will come with what the LEs do, as I'm assuming it'll be Viz releasing it and I can't ever remember them bringing over extras like drama CDs with their releases.

Of course I also don't have the room for figures, though I wouldn't mind getting a T-shirt at some point, so having the BDs just makes more sense for me, especially as it's one of the few series I will be rewatching for years to come.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
gerbilx wrote:
I do not comprehend The Answerman's reaction to English subtitles on Japanese anime releases. Most fansub groups can subtitle an episode in a matter of hours, with less typos than your typical Section23 release. So long as a bilingual writer and speaker was on hand for a Japanese company, it would not be difficult to subtitle a show or movie.

Except having a billingual writer and speaker is very rare, much less having multiple ones that can do translation work.

Quote:

While only a small amount of imports for the more obscure animes would probably happen if they did this, I certainly think that it would be enough to justify the week or so of work that it would take to subtitle a release in English.

Yeah, something tells me the amount of people willing to import is very, very small and is not worth what paying someone to translate a show costs.

varmintx wrote:
Obviously, we're not talking about large volume here, but then, the Japanese market itself is rather tiny compared to North America. As I stated above, it seems like the cost vs. benefit of putting the English subtitles on their releases would still seem quite a bit in their favor...of course, I could be completely wrong. Smile

Yeah, I would have to say that you are completely wrong. No offense, but the actual amount of people buying anime in Japan is much higher than those buying anime outside of it, at least only including North America. Otherwise we WOULD be seeing more anime directed specifically at North American audiences.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:22 am Reply with quote
My most under-appreciated show in the last two years would be Beast Player Erin. I know the art-style turned a lot of people away -- myself included for the longest time -- but they're missing out on solid fantasy title. It was a children's title that didn't insult it's audience or sugar-coat things, making it fairly palatable to adult sensibilities as well. Granted at 50 episodes it was a bit overly long and made a few missteps, however the experience was worth it in the end.

Runner-up would be parts of the Blue Literature series. Kokoro and Run Melos stood out as some of the best drama of 2009.

Edit: Surprised there wasn't a response with Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Forget the various forums and boards doing the deed, this series assumes you've read the novels. At times it felt like the it was going out of it's way to remind you about that big spoiler in the novels that, of course, you as an non-reader of the novels wouldn't know about. Didn't matter though, I enjoyed it fully from start to finish.

gerbilx wrote:
Most fansub groups can subtitle an episode in a matter of hours, with less typos than your typical Section23 release.

At what cost to translation accuracy and general readability though? Even if you had two professional translators of equal calibre, the one with more time to work is going to put out a better product more often than not. Not to mention fansubbers don't have access to production materials and creator input to assist with the translation. And most fansubbers are not professionals, just amateurs doing a(n) appreciated/vilified stop-gap job.

As to why Japan doesn't add subs to every DVD/BRD, it's probably not worth the effort to add them to the disc, even if the subs are already done for online streaming and/or the higher-ups just refuse to, for whatever reasons. But the DIY option isn't very complicated.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
One reason less shows are available on Crunchyroll in Australia is that there are local companies, Madman with their Screening Room and now Siren here on ANN, who also do streaming. Licensors probably get more money out of two licenses that cover two regions than a single one that covers both so they hold out in hope.

Quarkboy (SamuelP) has gone into reasons why few Japanese releases have subs, especially when subs already exist, and IIRC it largely boils down to English subs/dubs when they exist on Japanese discs are more as a bonus for the Japanese audience than anything else (like how there's a Japanese version of the first episode on one of my UK Red Dwarf discs), that even when subs exist from simulcasts they don't automatically have the rights to include them on the disc and that they're afraid of alienating overseas licensees (hopefully he'll pop along at some point and correct/amplify).

--edit--

A few relevant quotes that demonstrate the above points in order:
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1567214&postcount=19
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1664256&postcount=125
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1551907&postcount=178
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I cannot agree with the conclusion he came to as to why Japanese videos do not contain english subtitles
the main issue is not cost of production or lack of interest but more along the lines of DRM and negotiating profits from different regions similar to the AU problem that was discussed at the beginning of the article
kazume

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The endings of “Portal,” “Assassin's Creed” and “Kingdom Hearts” (curse you Wikipedia!)

Kingdom Hearts has an ending?!?! a Coherent one?

Christ sounds like squeenix is finally on the ball!!!

And yes,
Mawatteiru and Princess Jelly fish were awesome shows, and I gotta find time for Beast Player Erin, it REALLY doesn't look like my kinda shows but I wanna give it a shot, I might end up liking it as I do end up on around 40% of the shows I watch and don't expect much from to begin with Anime hyper
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:32 am Reply with quote
Being pissy about the subtitles, just because I can:

Subtitling costs about $6 / minute. That means, for a Japanese DVD of two episodes costing $50, to cover costs they'd have to sell - my god, 6 copies!

I put lack of subs down to good old fashioned Japanese business xenophobia and/or pig-headedness.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 am Reply with quote
I LOL'd about the OP spoilers. Schadenfraude. When I was getting into OP a few years back I avoided all forums, blogs, YT videos, fanfics, whatever, like the plague.
xD Seriously, avoid EVERYTHING or you'll spoil it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:16 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Being pissy about the subtitles, just because I can:

Subtitling costs about $6 / minute. That means, for a Japanese DVD of two episodes costing $50, to cover costs they'd have to sell - my god, 6 copies!

What's the profit margin, and how much do they divide the pie?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3