• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Muv-Luv Alternative

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:57 am Reply with quote
@babajones

Post removed. Please be reminded that posts should always be kind and respectful.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:15 pm Reply with quote
It may seem critical and harsh, but as someone with next to no familiarity with the original VN this is based on, I don't understand the point of this anime.

As an ad for the game (which is how old now?) I can't see enough people running out, even for a successful production, to make the devs/producers any money, so I can't see that as the motivation. Is there a remake? If so, this is a poor way of introducing a new potential audience to it.

If it's a love note to the series and/or its fans, it's a very poorly thought out one. The impetus and choice in how to rush things would seem to assume that most it not all of the viewers have enough information to piece together the missing details. But the level of familiarity for that would suggest much of the first several episodes themselves weren't really necessary at all, as it's just a bunch of half-covered info that doesn't help anyone.

I'm more confused than upset by this production, and it doesn't help that I don't personally find the MC as compelling as some others apparently do.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:51 am Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:

It may seem critical and harsh, but as someone with next to no familiarity with the original VN this is based on, I don't understand the point of this anime.

Trust me, the visual novel fans don't know who this anime is made for either.

That said, It's clear that they are trying to revive the franchise. The game received a commercial English translation and international release relatively recently, there are new spin-offs coming out, etc. The fact that Hajime Isayama said AoT was inspired by Muv Luv probably brought a lot of attention back to it too.

It feels like these 1 cour adaptations of enormous visual novels are wastes of money at best and actively hurt the reputation of the franchise at worst...... but they must be working well enough as commercials, or they wouldn't keep making them, right?

Maybe the writers are just giving up on trying to really represent the story, and just appeal to mech fans instead? Seems like a strange choice, because I personally think Muv Luv's greatest strengths are outside the mech battles (not to mention they don't even occur until pretty late in the second part, Unlimited), but if your screen time is that limited, I guess it's a better strategy than focusing on, say, the harem aspect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:22 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Maybe the writers are just giving up on trying to really represent the story, and just appeal to mech fans instead?

“Finally, a mech anime that’s not about the characters!”

(Sorry. I’m trying to stay out of the discourse, but it was too good a joke to pass up,)
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I guess this show's only hook is the "redo your life" aspect. Don't know anything about the muvluv franchise or whatever this is based on so I'm out of the loop. So as someone completely foreign to this universe, I'm not loving it, I'm not hating it. It's kind of just filler in between shows...
Kelohmello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I actually think the section where they explain Takeru's gameification plan was pretty decent. This alternate timeline has humanity so pressured by the BETA that they have tunnel vision with regards to what tech they need to advance. A fresh perspective, one that comes from outside of their timeline, where comparative luxury gave way to a revolution in entertainment, provides something they'd never thought of. It's an substantive way for Takeru to contribute that doesn't feel contrived, if you ask me.

Still very much down on this anime as a whole, but compared to the past two episodes, I think episode 4 was an improvement.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the Project Mikhail game has an actual English dub with English VA's for the cast. They even got back the English VA's for the Suzumiya sisters from the Rumbling Hearts dub (though no Colleen Clinkenbeard as Mitsuki).

Could this lead to an actual English dub for the anime?
Funchal99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know ANN was doing episode reviews for the series.

Reading this one, the reviewer is pointing out how the lack of context from Extra hurts the experience, and I absolutely agree. It is, unfortunately, a side-effect of them not wanting to risk adapting the whole thing and the entry-wall being unreasonably high.

I made a video last month explaining/summarizing Extra and Unlimited for those who wish to just jump into the anime or the VN from the get-go.

If anyone here is interested and wish to be less confused (especially the writer!), here's the link:
https://youtu.be/KiHoBKE4S9Q

[Removed self-advertising. Errinundra.]
Funchal99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:51 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:

I think it's an attempt to revive interest in the franchise, really, as it has been quite dead for the last few years. Plus, the rushing they are doing is mostly due to the start of Alternative being essentially a retread of Unlimited that's not particularly great or eye-catching for viewers who lack the context of the unadapted Unlimited. Now that they are finally in Alternative territory, I think they can take their time to show off why Alternative is so highly regarded. I trully think the people behind this are trying their hardest with the time and budget they were given, I can feel an active effort to do right by the source-material. It's just that the circumstances aren't ideal, and Muv-Luv by itself has an entry wall that is, IMO, unreasonably high.
You need to read through a 12 hour rom-com visual novel, then another 12 hour isekai subversion and detailed world-building that barely has any action (the BETA don't appear even once in Unlimited) to then get into the meat of things, Alternative, which has a pretty long retread of Unlimited as Takeru goes on testing how much of the future he can change before FINALLY kicking into an original arc that features all the mecha action the series promises. Plus, the BETA still don't appear until that arc is done.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's this structure that makes Alternative so powerful, but you need to do a lot of legwork to get there. I still have high hopes for the anime, as even its production values have become more acceptable. If they get at the very least two cours, this could trully blow some people away if they do it right.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Funchal99 wrote:
I didn't know ANN was doing episode reviews for the series.

Reading this one, the reviewer is pointing out how the lack of context from Extra hurts the experience, and I absolutely agree. It is, unfortunately, a side-effect of them not wanting to risk adapting the whole thing and the entry-wall being unreasonably high.

I made a video last month explaining/summarizing Extra and Unlimited for those who wish to just jump into the anime or the VN from the get-go.

If anyone here is interested and wish to be less confused (especially the writer!), here's the link:
https://youtu.be/KiHoBKE4S9Q

Thanks for the link. I wanted to watch this series but I admit I do fall in that confused camp, not being familiar with all of the franchise.
MCAL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I know that they've been recasting the entire thing, but since Wakamoto returned, I thought there was a possibility that they would get Takehito Koyasu back as Sagiri, but I guess not. lol
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:21 am Reply with quote
But what if English did not eat sh*t? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbgNQlE__QU
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:01 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
But what if English did not eat sh*t? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbgNQlE__QU

Heh, that was actually pretty funny. Thanks for that.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
invalidname wrote:

Heh, that was actually pretty funny. Thanks for that.

Just posted on Reddit, ""English can eat sh*t", but with visual novel's voices.": https://www.reddit.com/r/MuvLuv/comments/r9jwog/english_can_eat_shit_but_with_visual_novels_voices/

Notice that the English voices are the professional voice actors that were funded by the first of the Kickstarter's stretch goals, not the infamous Engrish from the original JP VN release.
Funchal99

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, just a quick heads up, not sure if it's a joke I'm not aware of or a legit typo, but in the latest episode review Takeru is called Takuya multiple times, so yeah.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3