• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Red Hood Manga Ends, Neru Manga Reaches Climax in Shonen Jump

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I liked Red hood, or at least I liked the first handful of chapters. But what 'positive reviews' are you talking about @BaronViolet? Actual reviews, or just some buzz on places like reddit or twitter? Genuinely curious to know.
Also i don't think yhe problem is that it had a generic start. It's start was interesting though if wasn't original, the problem was moving into the training/exam arc negated all the interesting things about the first chapters:
-focus moved a way from the main duo and introduced too many new characters.
-Interesting backgrounds and setting replaced with lifeless metal boot camp
- Despite mentioning the existence of different fantasy creatures we never got to see any.

The author expected readers to be patient and wait out this arc but the first chapters just did not buy enough good will to justify the wait. We should have gotten a few more hunts before going into a training/exam arc.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
BaronViolet wrote:
I cannot believe they cancelled times great series. Why is it rubbish like DB Super, Boruto and a stupid Generic Harem like We never learn get to continue but a promising datk fantasy like Hunters guild is cancelled after a few chapters?

Because it is not about originality. A product lives on sales. If the readers do not like huters guild, then it is useless. Jump uses weekly polls that rate each series. If it goes below, it ends up on the chopping block. Boruto, Super, and we never learn may be generic to you, but it sells way better and got an anime. Trust me, I have the same frustration with some things, but Jump loses money and space when an unpopular series runs and few people enjoy it.

Off topic, but I personally was uninpressed by hunter's guild. It felt very generic other than the fairy theme. Black clover, as much as some can give it, is way better deserving than hunter's guild. It's not like Jump only picks that stuff. Chainsaw man did great, and it is incredibly daring. Sorry, but that is how the cookie crumbles.

I think you would have said the same thing with Red Hunter to Black Clover since it didn't last than longer so I think red hunter needed more time build up just like how BC was.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Mashle
Witch Watch
Black Clover
Neru: Bugei Dougyou
Ayakashi Triangle

For the record, none of those series besides NERU are in any risk of cancellation. Black Clover has been established for years and has a movie coming in the next year or so. MASHLE is easily the most successful new series in Jump at the moment, with the latest volume selling over 100,000 copies in its first month of release. Witch Watch is also doing very well, with the current oricon rankings for its latest volume looking very promising. Ayakashi Triangle is selling just fine too, especially since it's an ecchi series.

People tend to put way too much importance on Jump's weekly table of contents order. The only significant sign is if a series is consistently at the back of the magazine, for weeks or months on end. That's what we saw with NERU and Red Hood, and why anyone playing attention expected both to end pretty soon.

Yeah they were in the back more than 6 times sadly and you said the TOC's the editor's choice not the readers as most people believe.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
BaronViolet wrote:

I liked Hunters Guild and I hate seeing potential wasted.

All I will say, is that you should do some research to how Jump picks manga. I reccomend watching or reading Bakuman, as it goes really into detail about why the polls and reviews affect things. I am sorry if that sounded condescending, but you made it sound like those series were bad purely because you do not care for them. Last, yes. I know companies like Jump and the like talk about creativity(which is why they give 8 weeks for a story to "flourish"), but as someone getting a degree and career in marketing, sales are absolutely the most important thing to every business. That's why they get stuff like One Piece, Chainsaw man, Jujutsu etc. That are both creative and lucrative.

I disagree that volume sales is the most important. I been follow WSJ for awhile now and i can tell you sale is just one of the factors at play here. Jump care for 3 main things: Sale, Growth and ranking. Remember Jump is an IP factory so they care about Growth a lot, more specifically how big the fanbase of a series can get since that drive merch and volume sale. For new series, ranking is the most important thing since it determines the readers interest in it. Once the new period ended (around chapter 30 or volume 2 release), WSJ start to look into sale and growth. that why there are series that have good sale and decent ranking but still got axed since they have no growth.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Todd_Harry08 wrote:

Yeah they were in the back more than 6 times sadly and you said the TOC's the editor's choice not the readers as most people believe.

I mean, I imagine the editor makes those choices based off the readers. They saw the low reviews and polls, and figured they were better off cancelling it. Also, I really don't agree with the black clover statement. This is all 100% personal opinion, but I really liked Black clover because after 5 chapters it really started doing things differently. Compared to Red going straight to an exam arc, something even Kishimoto regretted when he did it.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Sucks that Red Hood got canned.

Would have loved to see more of Debonair.

Maybe she should have been the main character.

I really don’t like how manga like that get axed so fast.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
I cannot believe they cancelled times great series. Why is it rubbish like DB Super, Boruto and a stupid Generic Harem like We never learn get to continue but a promising datk fantasy like Hunters guild is cancelled after a few chapters?

First of all, DB Super was never serialized in WSJ, Boruto was albeit in a monthly format.

Second of all, the thoughts of us Westerners really don't matter to WSJ's editors, it's the response of WSJ's readers and how many copies in circulation they can produce that matters. And this series failed at that.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Manga magazines are a cutthroat industry. If you can't perform and deliver, you won't be able to make it. There's not enough room for mediocrity.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:34 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Manga magazines are a cutthroat industry. If you can't perform and deliver, you won't be able to make it. There's not enough room for mediocrity.

It's something more American comics should do. Though manga is destroying the competition, a problem Marvel has had is keeping certain comics running that are well recieved critically but have extremely low sales.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Todd_Harry08 wrote:

Quoting SJ (then) editor-in-chief in "How Jump is done", the manga.
"I'd be lying if I say that readers' polls have nothing to do with TOC" (I am quoting from memory).

Then, according to Bakuman, ecchi series (like Ayakashi Triangle) usually perform bad in polls because readers are afraid their parents know they like that genre. Ayakashi Triangle is in the middle of a battle arc and there are no more pervy works in the magazine. Blue Box is sport & romance, Witch Watch, a romance comedy (or vice versa). And they are selling quite fine and I guess they'll have "physical" overseas releases sooner or later.

I'd say the next to fall could be a gag manga. Not Magu-chan because Shueisha announced their characters' poll for December. High School Family or Roboco? Maybe.

And then again, I liked Red Hood too, but I also agree that the plot failed to deliver all what promised. Long explanations on Hunters' tools, an even longer "examination arc" introducing dozens of new characters… It makes me wonder what Red Hood's editor was doing while Kawaguchi draw himself into that sinkhole. The failure of the series it's his failure, too.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
It's always sad when something could have been so much more than what it ended up being. I'll miss Red Hood, it was the first WSJ manga I followed from the beginning.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Would have loved to see more of Debonair.

This is just my opinion, but maybe that was the plan (and the reason there was no patience for RH, two buff females which were not villains was too much for the editors). Because I do not think WSJ would have a battle manga with a female character in a protagonist role, there is one similar manga called Death Deus: Hero of the Dead but that one is published in HobbyJapan.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:06 pm Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:

Boruto isn't in Weekly Shounen Jump, and We Never Learn occupied a completely different niche within the magazine.
WSJ always tries to have a diversity of series, which means a non-action harem comedy isn't actually truly competing with a battle shounen in the same magazine. They are competing for different niches within the ranking.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Kinda not surprised re Red Hood. I stopped reading when he left the village partially because I just wasn't interested enough but also I had a feeling. (Sounds like it was good I dropped it there...)
It's a shame, because the art is really nice, and though some of the action scenes were kinda confusing, it had a nice flow to it. The monster design and overall world concept were also pretty cool. I hope the mangaka gets another chance, maybe in a magazine that's not so tough.

I'm hoping PPPPP doesn't get cut because, despite my misgivings when I first started, I'm actually enjoying it.

kgw wrote:
I'd say the next to fall could be a gag manga. Not Magu-chan because Shueisha announced their characters' poll for December. High School Family or Roboco? Maybe.

I feel like both those titles are pretty established so they probably won't get cut, though I haven't seen the numbers to know. I'm a fan of both titles (though I'm massively behind on HSF), but I have to say I was surprised they've been going for this long, especially HSF which I expected to be axed yoinks ago (I guess that's the staying power of Isobee helping it out?).

I'm not sure what will be cut next as most of the other stuff has either just started or is getting pretty established and are over 19 chapters.
PPPPP could definitely be next (unfortunately), though it's only 8 chapters in so hopefully it gets at least 10 more.
But beyond that I don't know...
It'd sure be nice to have a run where nothing is cancelled.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Shame that Neru got axed next. When it was first appeared, I thought I was seeing a birth of a really promising mangaka in a while. I really like the classic martial arts touch to it. It did falter in later chapters seemingly due to the pressure of being constantly in the bottom, and so preparing for a potential axe.

I wish Jump would start selling these titles digitally overseas maybe via manga plus. And maybe then to a degree, more global readers would deserve their say on their favorite titles, polling would be open globally and so it won't only depend on the Japanese readers. I feel like these two titles could have more chance to survive with the global readers' support.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4