• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:22 pm Reply with quote
My favourite anime series of 2021 would be a toss-up between Non Non Biyori Non-Stop and The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated! but, upon reflection, I think I actually can give Jahy-sama the prize since it adapted almost the entire manga up to chapter 68 while Non Non Biyori Non-Stop skipped a lot of really great chapters from the second half of the manga to get to the finale, making me wish Non Non Biyori Non-Stop had gotten at least 20 episodes like Jahy-sama got.

Non Non Biyori Non-Stop was still great but they had over six years' worth of manga chapters published since Non Non Biyori Repeat and the chapters with the new characters Akane Shinoda and Shiori (surname unrevealed) obviously were the priority for adaptation so many standalone chapters with the already-established characters remain to be adapted.

Perhaps there will be a few more OVAs beyond the one that's shipping with the release of the Non Non Biyori Remember epilogue manga, so that some of the skipped-over chapters like, one of my favourites, the chapter with spoiler[Renge, the Daruma, and the bonfire], will get animated after all.

As for Jahy-sama, I don't think I can give a profound, drawn-out reason for liking it beyond that I already enjoyed the manga since I like that kind of supernatural slice-of-life comedy and the animated adaptation was really well done even if I still prefer Jahy's meme faces in the manga. Besides Jahy herself, my favourite characters are Salwa since she's a fun character who's only beginning to learn that things work out well for her when she's not trying so hard to humiliate Jahy and Landlady/Ryou since she is kind of a grown-up yankii girl who is actually sweet inside a tough-girl exterior (as long as you pay your rent on time).

Last edited by Tenchi on Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I completely forgot Promised Neverland season 2 was this year. Cripes.

Wonderegg Priority's demolition at the very end really was stunning, and made all the more painful by how it's still like...a 90% good show. Unlike Promised Neverland season 2, which I would say at this point is straight up not worth watching, Wonderegg's good parts (most of the show) are still so good that I don't think it should be swept under a rug or anything. I still think episode 7 is the best episode of any show this year. It's just, of course, you kind of have to hold your own interpretations close...that is to say, all the same, I can't blame anyone who wants to forget it after that awful last episode.

I'm actually sort of relieved Yashahime only shows up on here once. I frankly don't understand people's impatience with this show, which I think has been paced pretty well for a long form, semi-episodic series.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:10 am Reply with quote
As a personal rule, I don't include movies and incomplete cours in my annual top 5, so while definitely among my favorites, the Rebuild finale, Ousama Ranking and the continuation of Shingeki no Kyojin, are not here. Out of 40 completed series this year, my top 5 in order are:

1. Heike Monogatari
2. Shadows House
3. Sonny Boy
4. Blue Period
5. Fruits Basket The Final

It seems I completely missed gems like ODDTAXI and Dynazenon, so will get around to watching them at some point. Other than that, the poll results look good to me, pretty sensible picks I'd expect most would like. I'm surprised though that To Your Eternity is quite high up on the list. That makes me hopeful for the continuation.

As for the other categories:
1. Best Character: Yatora Yaguchi from Blue Period
2. Best Moment: the ending scene of Heike Monogatari
3a. Best OP: Hikaru Toki from Heike Monogatari
3b. Best ED: Nai Nai from Shadows House
4. Best Movie: Rebuild 3.0+1.0
5. Worst Anime (that I actually watched to the end): The Promised Neverland S2
vampiyan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Only Lynzee Loveridge got into why Wonder Egg Priority was rage inducing, and even she doesn’t go far enough—the show buys into and promotes the narrative that teen girls lie about sexual assault in order to hurt adult men, going so far as to kill themselves in attempts to ruin the life and careers of adult men. That is not only f*cked up, it’s dangerous, We don’t need an anime to reinforce a myth about false reporting that so many knee-jerk defenders of sexual predators already believe to be true. It’s as if it was written by someone who’s goal was to undermine the #MeToo movement.

Didn't the man Alice Sebold falsely accused just get excorticated after 16 years in prison not too long ago? To say it's dangerous to even touch or explore a subject seems regressive and anti-critical thinking WEP's main issue was the lack of ending and the production issues it suffered. The animation was great, the characters were interesting, and the subject matter was refreshing to see explored and not afraid to delve into the dark side of human decency. I get if someone disagrees with what it says, but that doesn't make it bad.
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:08 pm Reply with quote
My Top 5

1. Mushoku Tensei

Great animation, characters, and story make for one of the top isekai out there. Rudy will always be best boy in our hearts!

2. Re:ZERO Season 2

Might be cheating since it started in 2020, but still one of my favorite watches in 2021 and it was nice to have it back. Remains one of my favorite series ever.

3. Redo of Healer

Had a lot of hype surrounding it going into it. Turned out to be super popular and well received and a breakout hit. Pushed the envelope in TV content and had a great cast of characters and action that made it super memorable.

4. Komi Can't Communicate

Reminds me of a lot of Watamote, but a lot more fun and with a unique art style. Love the characters and situations they end up in. Very relatable Laughing

5. Kimetsu no Yaiba: Red Light District

Always loved it. Might be cheating as well since it's just a continuation, but I've always loved the characters and setting. Pretty solid shounen action pick and deserves all the popularity and praise it gets
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:10 pm Reply with quote
vampiyan wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Only Lynzee Loveridge got into why Wonder Egg Priority was rage inducing, and even she doesn’t go far enough—the show buys into and promotes the narrative that teen girls lie about sexual assault in order to hurt adult men, going so far as to kill themselves in attempts to ruin the life and careers of adult men. That is not only f*cked up, it’s dangerous, We don’t need an anime to reinforce a myth about false reporting that so many knee-jerk defenders of sexual predators already believe to be true. It’s as if it was written by someone who’s goal was to undermine the #MeToo movement.

Didn't the man Alice Sebold falsely accused just get excorticated after 16 years in prison not too long ago? To say it's dangerous to even touch or explore a subject seems regressive and anti-critical thinking WEP's main issue was the lack of ending and the production issues it suffered. The animation was great, the characters were interesting, and the subject matter was refreshing to see explored and not afraid to delve into the dark side of human decency. I get if someone disagrees with what it says, but that doesn't make it bad.

You're greatly reducing that case. Alice Sebold was intentionally pressured by police and even recounted herself how wrong that case was handled in writing. Her account, a private investigator, and a producer at Netflix is what helped him get exonerated. What happened to that man was a miscarriage of justice and definitely racially motivated.

Sebold was assaulted, but not by him.

Anyway, off topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:20 am Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
I feel like for the (rightfully deserved) hate that Promised Neverland season 2 gets... the manga was honestly also god awful. Not the whole thing, but like, the last third of it is some of the most disappointing manga I have read in years. The first arc of TPN? Absolute perfection. The next few arcs? Also pretty solid through Goldy Pond. I'll probably give it to the end of Cuvitidala arc as "worth reading".

No one's really denying that immense drop in quality for the manga; it was probably the most infamous thing about the IP prior to this anime. But TPN Season 2 somehow made it infinitely worse by cutting down way too much to the point that the context just was not there. The anime had the potential to improve on the source material, or at least adapt the original all the way through with more finesse, and instead it did the exact opposite. That's why people ridicule it more than the manga (that and recency bias, but that's practically unavoidable in today's media climate, anime or otherwise).
JonDoe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:14 am Reply with quote
Okay, I definitely wasn't expecting to see 86 or Mushoku Tensei in the top 3. That's nice to see. Overall I thought anime in 2021 was WAY better than anime in 2020. Last year there weren't even enough good shows for me to make a proper top five but this year I was spoiled for choice.

My Top Five

1.) Re:Zero
2.) Mushoku Tensei
3.) The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated!
4.) Komi Can't Communicate
5.) So I'm A Spider, So What?

Best Character
I was thinking about giving this to either Jahy or Ghislaine but really Kumoko was the best character of the year and the best isekai protagonist in years.

Best Moment
The bloody visceral fight between Garfiel and Echidna near the end of Re Zero. Especially the part where Garfiel finishes her off by crushing her with a giant bolder.

Best Song
"What You Don't Know", Ram's self insert song from Re:Zero. Although honorable mentions go to "Only", the ending theme from Mushoku Tensei and "Do Your Best! Kumoko-san's Theme" from So I'm A Spider, So What?

Worst Anime
I thought about doing the predictable thing and naming The Promised Neverland S2 as the worst anime of the year like everyone else is doing but then I remembered Record of Ragnarok. Seriously, they took such awesome material and through a lethal mix of non-existent animation and terrible pacing turned it into a dumpster fire.

Last edited by JonDoe on Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Piglet the Grate wrote:
As I have posted elsewhere, I watched PuraOre: Pride of Orange all they way through and failed to see where hockey was insulted.

Tristan and Geoff would like a few words with you. Laughing Plus idols.

Blink and you might miss the idol content of the show. OK, a long blink, but the amount of idol content was no worse than the "victory concerts" in Pretty Derby.

The Infinite Zenith anime blogger lives in Alberta and is a Flames fan, and did not believe that hockey was insulted.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I figured that everyone would have listed EX Arm as the worst anime of 2021! Of all the shows that I watched last year, Ex Arm was the only one that I dropped.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Favorite shows (not counting sequels or reboots):

The Case Study of Vanitas
Shadows House
Horimiya
Bishounen Tanteidan
Kanojo mo Kanojo (no really, it's very funny!)
Mieruko-chan
Kaginado

Favorite male character: Vanitas
Favorite female character: Emilico

Favorite couple: Vanitas x Noe

Favorite theme songs:

Sense- Platinum End (really I CANNOT stop listening to this refrain x_x)
Nai Nai-Shadow's House (absolutely BEST ending song don't @ me)
Zero-by LMYK

Ah, Caitlyn, I see you are a lady of culture as well Laughing

There were a LOT of good shows in 2021 and quite a few more of them caught my eye. But I don't want to evaluate them until I've properly consumed them. Kageki Shoujo was also great and I nearly did finish it)

Worst anime: Um....I turned EX-ARM off after one minute. Gotta be a record. Razz

Worst anime I actually finished: Haha KoiKimo sucked. Neutral

Oh and for those who hated Neverland S2...not that I don't understand your feelings but the manga ending made me a lot madder. I mean a LOT madder. A lot...lot...lot..m-afjklfj;lajfd;lfj [angry gibberish] wtfwasthatending (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9