• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actor Tatsuhisa Suzuki Returns From Hiatus

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:31 am Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
Y'all will never understand what it's like to lose something you love so much over a stupid cheating scandal that's a dime a dozen among celebrities.

IIRC he and his band along with the label had months to discuss whether it was appropriate to continue. It's not like Lantis suddenly decided to drop Oldcodex as soon as the scandal hit, nor was he forced to retire. He may have lost roles but he still has a career and isn't dropped by his agency.

It's also likely that he lost his roles because he was in poor health spoiler[from his alleged suicide attempt] which possibly damaged his voice since he had to be on a ventilator for two weeks.
Lily70

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Japan has long had a cancel culture among its celebrities and idols. They has been numerous Idols orced to give up their career over a measly "dating scandal" or fans drop them when they get married.

This is simply another one of those unfortunate cases.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:50 am Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:

You should probably hold the actual person responsible for that break-up, Suzuki, accountable for that then. Or I guess you could continue to make up a different reality where he’s blameless and shout about it in every single thread on the subject.

I know I'm really late because this topic sincerely exhausts me and I try to not think about it as much as I can but I want to reply, just for the record: I'm sorry but what the hell do you even mean by "hold him accountable"? How would I even go about that? How can I "hold accountable" a person I've never even met, a person I can't in any way contact, a person who probably regrets how things turned out more than anyone else? Do I drag him back to Lantis and hold the entire place hostage until they agree to recontract him? I'm sick of this euphemistic language tinged with vocabulary of social justice applied to where it doesn't belong, to where it doesn't even make sense. Again, I know I'm late, but if you're serious about "holding him accountable" then by all means, tell me how I can actually do that, I'd really love to know.

I'm glad you noticed I'm a regular on all forums related to this topic, but disappointed that you somehow think I think he's "blameless" when I'm pretty sure I've said countless times that I recognize that cheating is bad and he shouldn't have done it, but that at the end of the day the public response has been blown way out of proportion and he shouldn't have to suffer so much than like, every other seiyuu who has ever been caught cheating because, and I'll repeat myself again: it is none of our business what celebrities do in their private lives as long as it's not a crime. The whole thing is disappointing, but it doesn't change the fact that I love his music, and it certainly doesn't change how much it's meant to me over the years and I don't appreciate people dismissing my pain just to performatively show off that they're "good people".

A big issue of mine throughout this whole ordeal has been the hypocrisy with what people are willing to accept just because it's common and it's gonna happen anyway - like tabloids stalking celebrities, or taking photos without their consent is somehow okay despite being, you know, an actual crime, but cheating isn't, even though it's perfectly legal, even if morally questionable? I just wish people were consistent and would condemn crimes and on-crimes proportionally, that's all. I also wish you could imagine how much it hurts to lose a band you love over something so stupid, then you might understand a fraction of how devastating this has been to me.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:03 am Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:

IIRC he and his band along with the label had months to discuss whether it was appropriate to continue. It's not like Lantis suddenly decided to drop Oldcodex as soon as the scandal hit, nor was he forced to retire. He may have lost roles but he still has a career and isn't dropped by his agency.

Sorry, I know I'm late, but I wanted to reply: Yes, I'm aware and I'm glad they didn't drop him like a hot potato the moment the scandal hit, but I'm still upset that this is the conclusion they came to in the end. I'm sad they didn't give him a chance to make a comeback or the fans a chance to show how much we care, to show that he wasn't a lost cause and OCD could continue making a profit. I'm distraught that my favorite band isn't going out with a bang but with a whimper. More than anything, I'm heartbroken that after so many months, years even, of trying to get back into Japan after being locked out because of the pandemic, looking forward to the day I could hear them live again, I have finally entered the country only to find the thing that made me want to come back in the first place dead and gone forever. Sorry, I'm done now, but yeah, it's hard to describe with words how badly this has affected me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2