• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action One Piece Series Reveals 6 Cast Members, Behind-the-Scenes Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually, genuinely impressed by how bad this looks.
livin_large

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
How much of this paragraph is based on the actors having pronouns next to their names? Cowboy Bebop seemed to have good intentions and was ultimately a bad show, but a lot of people just wanted to hate it before it even came out(because it was being done at all, because of trite costume changes, etc). "wEsTeRn cULtUrE iS bAd" is a boring excuse for a show/adaption not doing well, even if, in the case of One Piece, it's probably going to be dogshit. But more because adapting this world into live action is going to be downright goofy(and not in the way it needs to be), and not necessarily because it's being adapted by/for Westerners.

From what I remember almost every comment from the showrunners and actors leading up to Cowboy Bebops was about talking down to the original show and its fanbase. To say it had 'good intentions' seems wrong. It always felt like it was being done in bad faith and with a lot of animosity towards the fanbase. So far we haven't seen much of that with this adaption aside from a few comments from showrunner Steven Maeda which are a bit troubling. I do think there will still be a lot of westernisms in this adaption though. There is absolutely no chance they will faithfully recreate Oda's sexism, homophobia, and transphobia.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
The third pirates movie was the most expensive movie ever made when it came out in 2007. It CAN be done, with enough cash. Netflix won't sink that much into this.

I mean, this season of Stranger Things costs $30 million per episode...

...but on the other hand, that's only because ST is an established IP that are giving them enough profitability to justify that expense, they lost half a million subscribers this quarter and they have to be aware that most of their recent adaptations (Netflix Bebop comes to mind) haven been shitty, cancelled and brought them some losses, so it's pretty safe to guess they're gonna be cuttings corners and costs with this adapt as well, thus bringing once again their trademark incompetence and mediocrity well known in their adaptations.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:03 pm Reply with quote
You'd think from Cowboy Bebop they'd realize that there are just some things that don't belong in live-action, but no.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:11 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
The only hope I have for this show is that probably it will get cancelled like Netflix Bebop. Even if it gets renewed for a 2nd one, Netflix is not gonna make the commitment of adapting the whole story, which would obviously take more that the usual two seasons at Netflix, so there's that hope and a consolation that this will be put to death sooner rather than later.

Maybe not as bad as Cowboy Bebop but there's no doubt going to be a lot of compromises and changes made for western sensibilities.

Honestly, I'm kind of expecting worse than Bebop, if only because of One Piece's tone.

Bebop was Netflix's take on adapting something that was comparatively serious. One Piece is...you know, like THAT.

everydaygamer wrote:
People just need to keep their expectations in check..

What does that actually mean? Like, what do we need to do specifically to keep our expectations in check? Because depending on context, that could mean "expect complete garbage" based on history. One Piece is the best-selling manga ever made. Keep expectations in check? So like, just go into it expecting a low-quality product? Because I'm pretty sure most people are already there

Last edited by garfield15 on Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Regalli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:13 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Despite the casting looking pretty solid imo and the fact that they clearly are spending money on this show, I can't help but not have a ton of faith in it since 1) it just seems like a wildly difficult choice of adaptation into live-action and 2) I don't believe Netflix will actually give it more than a season or two. I honestly kinda feel bad that I still can't get on-board despite some promising choices.

Yeah, between the absurdity of NETFLIX of all studios wanting to adapt a manga that has famously run for 25 years and is still going, and how notoriously difficult stretchy powers are to do in live action compared to animation (which will only get worse the longer they adapt… which I say as though I genuinely expect them to get through to the end of Baroque Works, even at the most optimistic length I’d expect of Netflix,) I just… cannot imagine this doing it justice, simply because the scope is SO ambitious.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:23 pm Reply with quote
They all look ok (assuming they can do Sanji's eyebrows right), but that always seems to be the case with these things. Inaki Godoy sounds absolutely nothing like Luffy, though. I feel like, at a minimum, these actors should be made to watch and catch up to the anime, so that they can actually get a proper feel for their characters, but I'm pretty sure very few of them have that dedication to the project.

I feel like it might be watchable if they dub it in Japanese with the anime cast (or at least, *I* would watch it), but I'm still pretty sure this will just turn out like Cowboy Bebop. Which is sad.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate how much effort they're putting into the sets and adapting locations from the manga, and one of the showrunners definitely seems like a fan, but whether that will translate to everything else remains to be seen.
CrypticPurpose wrote:
They all look ok (assuming they can do Sanji's eyebrows right), but that always seems to be the case with these things. Inaki Godoy sounds absolutely nothing like Luffy, though. I feel like, at a minimum, these actors should be made to watch and catch up to the anime, so that they can actually get a proper feel for their characters, but I'm pretty sure very few of them have that dedication to the project.

I at least appreciate his enthusiasm and energy which I think would be a good fit for Luffy.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:02 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
Inaki Godoy sounds absolutely nothing like Luffy, though. I feel like, at a minimum, these actors should be made to watch and catch up to the anime, so that they can actually get a proper feel for their characters, but I'm pretty sure very few of them have that dedication to the project.

I haven't been following the actors too closely but the impression that I've gotten is that several of the main crew actually are fans of One Piece in the first place. At the very least Nami's actress seems like she was a fan prior to being cast. As for Inaki Godoy not sounding like Luffy, not only is it the same kind of casting that Japanese anime stage plays seem to do... he clearly wasn't even in-character. He does seem to share Luffy's energy though.

With every bit of new information I want to believe in this a little more - the sets look nice and the casting continues to look insanely good - somehow Chef Zeff's casting is almost 1-1 with the character. I think seeing all the actors in costume will be the real first test.
Mavado

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:40 pm Reply with quote
livin_large wrote:
I do think there will still be a lot of westernisms in this adaption though. There is absolutely no chance they will faithfully recreate Oda's sexism, homophobia, and transphobia.
I'm more worried about them inserting Netflix's own brand of sexism, heterophobia and racism.

Putting personal pronouns in marketing materials (as if the actors' pronouns have anything to do with their characters) really seems like a huge warning sign to me.
Artemis X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:42 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
You'd think from Cowboy Bebop they'd realize that there are just some things that don't belong in live-action, but no.

With these kinds of statements and attitudes is why many live action properties fail. You can't have a mindset like this to think that EVERYTHING, the whole broad spectrum of manga, comics and animation could never be put into live action. This is why its such a dying part of the industry is because fans clammer to these kinds of statements.

Live action has its restraints and limitations of course but in the right hands, it CAN BE done. We have seen many films and tv shows become block buster sensations based on comic book material. Its just a matter of how much money they want to put into it, how authenticate they try and make it with out being to Culturally appropriated for the wrong audience and if the network or company has the money to create special effects that have that authenticity that can translate well from a comic book type story.

Cowboy bebop in my personal opinion was not that bad, it got a bit soap operish with its sort of back and foreth drama filled relationship of Visious and Julia, which sort of represented and protrayed Visious in a different light.

I think that is another issue with live action adapted properties based from books and manga or comic books is often creators want to take there own liberties to create there own stuff, usually as a nartive to push for a specific sterio type or convention of TV. This is what happened with Game of thrones, when the audience favored the hell out of Aria stark and Dumb and Dumber decided to come up with some dilluted grander of making the whole story revolve around her and her exploits even so much that they had her kill the wizdom king. Completely contradicting G.R.R martins books.

In any case this kind of crap happens so often with telivised shows. Its one of the biggest issues with live action Vs. something that is like books and manga. Oda is the author and as long the creators developing this live action pull most of the material from oda and represent the characters authentically to the manga, it will be good then and make no mistake that is what the fans want.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:47 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
Inaki Godoy sounds absolutely nothing like Luffy, though.

I'm gonna have to disagree there. The only reason I've been following these OP live action news is because of Iñaki. He just emanates Luffy energy. I remember when the crew's wanted posters first came out, I looked at him and said "Yup, that's Luffy". Following him on social media has only reinforced my impression.

Mind you, the live action is still gonna flop, since the problem here lies in the fact that it just doesn't work on a conceptual level, but I still wanna see Iñaki playing Luffy.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:17 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty much universally agreed this will be a trainwreck, it's just a matter of how bad a trainwreck it is, sad to say.

Godoy is enthusiastic in everything I've seen but he is in over his head. The more I think about it, the more I compare this to the only other real attempt at something this cartoony in live-action, the Popeye movie with Robin Williams (coincidentally, also about a sailor). Now if Robin Williams, one of the funniest comedians of the 20th century couldn't make Popeye work, I have zero faith in Godoy making Luffy work unless he's a transcendent level actor, especially since One Piece's world requires way more special effects and budget than Popeye's. Nothing against Godoy, actors like that are only a few in a generation.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Mavado wrote:
livin_large wrote:
I do think there will still be a lot of westernisms in this adaption though. There is absolutely no chance they will faithfully recreate Oda's sexism, homophobia, and transphobia.
I'm more worried about them inserting Netflix's own brand of sexism, heterophobia and racism.

"Heterophobia" I actually got a laugh of this.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:22 am Reply with quote
Artemis X wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:

With these kinds of statements and attitudes is why many live action properties fail. You can't have a mindset like this to think that EVERYTHING, the whole broad spectrum of manga, comics and animation could never be put into live action. This is why its such a dying part of the industry is because fans clammer to these kinds of statements.

But wait, that doesn't make sense because fans aren't clamoring for live-action adaptations in the first place. Like, it's a "dying part of the industry" not solely because it's so frequently done poorly but also because it's not asked for or even on a general fan's mind when they are watching/reading an anime/manga.

You make it sound like live-action adaptations were at any point a highly-requested thing when I'd say it's the exact opposite.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4