• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Aim for the Ace!, GaoGaiGar Series & Final OVA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:58 am Reply with quote
Isn't it kind of redundant to say that they "announced they licensed Ghost Stories", considering they've had the license for years now?
Stelman257

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The King of Braves: GaoGaiGar will release on Blu-ray Disc in winter 2023, featuring all 49 episodes in 1080p. The release will include Japanese audio with English subtitles, as well as the English dub for the first 25 episodes.

Ahhhh I know financially it makes no sense, but man I would’ve really loved to see the second half of GaoGaiGar dubbed man. I wonder if there’s any way at all they could fund it?
Still, absolutely incredible slew of announcements, I’ll be buying a ton of these!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:25 am Reply with quote
Man, Discotek really hit it out of the park here! Digimon Adventure subbed, Saint Tail, Treasure Island, Aim for the Ace, Ultimate Muscle, Sonic X subbed, and GaoGaiGar? I'm definitely picking up the former three for sure!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:26 am Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
Quote:
The King of Braves: GaoGaiGar will release on Blu-ray Disc in winter 2023, featuring all 49 episodes in 1080p. The release will include Japanese audio with English subtitles, as well as the English dub for the first 25 episodes.

Ahhhh I know financially it makes no sense, but man I would’ve really loved to see the second half of GaoGaiGar dubbed man. I wonder if there’s any way at all they could fund it?
Still, absolutely incredible slew of announcements, I’ll be buying a ton of these!

Other than a Kickstarter, I can’t see it being done. I’m still going to buy it (And Gunbuster).

Also nice timing with Kamen Rider Black. The remake is set to debut Friday.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:03 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Isn't it kind of redundant to say that they "announced they licensed Ghost Stories", considering they've had the license for years now?

Maybe it isn't entirely correct, but the important detail is that they are releasing it in HD with additional content compared to the original DVD release.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:40 am Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:

The few TV anime they produced dubs for had been one-cour or less (Kemono Friends was 12 episodes & Black Rock Shooter was 8) so yeah, probably out of their budget to dub this, especially when they also have FINAL to deal with.
HannoX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:09 am Reply with quote
ADV's dub of Ghost Stories is an absolute laugh riot! I highly recommend picking it up and watching that version.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:19 am Reply with quote
Given that Crunchyroll decided to release Ascendance of a Bookworm S3 themselves instead of letting Sentai continue it, I’m thinking the same is happening with the Konosuba movie and Crunchyroll has plans of their own with it.
yuetheguardian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:22 am Reply with quote
"Saint Tail is a 1995 anime adaptation of Megumi Tachikawa's manga. Tokyopop originally released the anime on DVD and VHS from 2001 to 2002, but it did not release the complete series."

They did complete the series they stopped dubbing after episode 15 did a disc or 2 as sub only then dumped the remainder in a boxset.

Last edited by yuetheguardian on Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:22 am Reply with quote
Saw this announcement on Twitter yesterday. What really surprised me is that Discotek picking up Kamen Rider Black, I thought Shout Factory was going to pick that one up given that Shout has the 1971 OG Kamen Rider, Kamen Rider Kuuga, Kamen Rider Ryuki (you know the one that was later adapted into Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight), & the recent Kamen Rider Zero-One. So seeing Shout Factory not picking up Kamen Rider Black and instead Discotek picking this up is a really really big surprise for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:34 am Reply with quote
I am so there for Saint Tail. Very Happy
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Saint Tail is a 1995 anime adaptation of Megumi Tachikawa's manga. Tokyopop originally released the anime on DVD and VHS from 2001 to 2002, but it did not release the complete series.

They did release it all, they just didn't dub all of it. They cancelled the last three individual discs but released them in one set.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:56 am Reply with quote
Adding my voice to the choir about Saint Tail. It was definitely finished. I own the whole thing, and all of the discs are even listed in the encyclopedia entry.

Anyway. Super excited for several of these. Aim for the Ace is one of my absolute favorites. I hope it sells well enough for them to do the sequels (which haven't even had a fansub), which I will also buy in a heartbeat. Will probably double dip for upgrades of my Saint Tail and Mononoke discs, too. Treasure Island is also definitely on my radar.

You're still my favorite, Discotek. Wink
Redlinks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Finally, some older anime getting some recognition! I know so many Sonic X fans have been asking for a subtitled release of it, so I'm happy for them! I really hope Discotek will license rescue Hamtaro!
JustMonika

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:01 pm Reply with quote
If I had a dime for every Disctek post that fails to announce the release of the Konosuba Movie, I'd be so rich by now, lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4