• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reborn to Master the Blade: From Hero-King to Extraordinary Squire (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Reborn to Master the Boobs: From Kinda Fun to Extraordinarily Shitty.

episode... please let next week be the last one.

Apart from the funny budget saving cartoony stuff, It's interesting to see where they always cut their losses and stop caring... It's whenever a guy is doing anything. Whether it's Silva's goldfish lips opening and closing with no connection to what's coming out of his mouth or budget Joffrey chopping off Burger King's arm with his shiny purple finger... the goal is obvious- save your artistic efforts for the characters that jiggle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

Let me cut to the chase: I've rated this show as Weak. Which means I royally screwed up. I can only rate shows I've watched to completion and if at the end of a show's run, I've rated it Weak, it means I failed in my anime duty to drop shitty shows before I waste even MORE time. I blame the long, cold, dark Canadian winter for giving me more free time to indulge in crappy anime than I do during the nice months. Sure, let's go with that.

I have a pet peeve with shows that stipulate certain things and then don't do anything with that element, because it smacks of a cynical marketing ploy. In this case, it's the idea that Chris used to be a male in another life and has been reborn female. Not that I wanted a fantasy version of Onimai, but damn talk about not using a conceit for any purpose whatsoever. Her once being male had absolutely ZERO impact on her behaviour, the story or anything. Although, I guess you can argue that that was the reason she's a battle addict which is somewhat unusual for a female character.

No doubt this is something particular only to me, but another thing I didn't like was that occasionally Chris - usually when she was expressing some battle addictedness - would have a crooked smile that reminded me eerily of the Grinch's grin which was highly distracting.

Was there anything about this show I liked? In fact, there was. There was a character called Yua who had the soft-spoken, always wanted to sleep, everything is a pain trope going for her which usually made me chuckle. So there's that, I guess.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it was not a great show. I ended up disliking Chris for not caring about anything as long as she can fight. Even most battle junkies make sure their friends are okay instead of just asuming they are and going wild.

Also, I found myself a lot more interested in the Bloodchain Brigade than our protagonist group. Considering how many high landers behave I have a hard time making an argument against Bloodchain, especially since they do seem to help when the regular citizens are in trouble.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:40 am Reply with quote
Plus, let's face it: Bloodchain Brigade is a KICK-ASS group name!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:19 am Reply with quote
The only really confusing part about the bloodchain Brigade is that the situations they created obviously would put random people they should want to protect. Did we ever get proper hints or something to who the black mask guy was? Because I also can't remember if the brother was ruled out or not. They did a lot of work making the Highlanders just seem that worse.

But yeah, not a great show. Inglis was kind of boring in her obsessed with fighting thing, that didn't do much interesting with her previous persona. I think of a dozen characters that are similar but much more interesting. And it also made some of her relationships with others a bit less clear.

Blood was right about probably the one interesting character, although it is almost cheating as those characters are usually pretty cool at the just wanting to sleep thing. The show really could not otherwise get me to care about any of the other characters, so I could just do with large swaths of characters just removed. And boobed stuff to, made worse when I think Inglis did say that she had been alive in the current life for years, so year olds that have way too much focus on their boobs.

For my rating I will follow Blood's lead and say Weak (3/10). I cut out a number of shows that I would normally rate low, so I was almost worry that I wasn't giving anything a low score, but this will do.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:08 am Reply with quote
I don't think they ever revealed who the guy in the mask could be. I think it's supposed to be a continuing mystery, with the core hint being that it's someone else who can use aether, like her.

The other hint about the world that was dumped in this dumpster to burn was that Inglis once pondered to herself why she couldn't find any evidence of her kingdom surviving to the present day... To which the least astute viewer says to themselves "oh, his kingdom became the highland - that might be an interesting thing to explore"... but they didn't.

I mean, it has story elements that it could have developed, but didn't.
I can see the predictable story that eventually probably plays out.
Ingliis keeps playing around in her battle crazy ways until she is made to realize that his/her kingdom, lacking a strong and moral leader, devolved into the malevolent society that figuratively and literally looks down on everyone and the masked man (probably in defeat), who knows this true history forces her to actually take responsibility and put the highlands in their place... Probably figuratively and literally again- putting it back on the land.

I mean, it's a simple story - if told well, it could work... But it wasn't told well and shouldn't get another chance to try.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2