• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tomo-chan Is a Girl!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I understand what he is about, especially after this episode, but I just don't think the anime does a good job of matching his actual reactions to what that state of mind is supposed to be

Oh, you are completely right there, being a 4koma with one page per day, Tomo-chan abuses the page break to show Jun more thoughtful and confused.

Those little stops on his tracks he does sometimes feel way longer in the manga.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Have you seen Jem? The latest Tomo created her own rival.
michizure

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:12 am Reply with quote
MrAJCosplay wrote:
(seriously, if the whole point was to get Tomo out of the house so that Carol and Misuzu could surprise her with a birthday party, I don't know why she needed to be all dressed up)

You've got it backwards: the point was to get Tomo dressed to the nines as a girl and then force her to acknowledge her femininity and deal with it by sending her out in public. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been any need to coach her diction. The party decorations were just a time-filler. Note that they had no way to know she would run into Jun and hang out, rather than come straight back from the store. They were expecting to get interrupted.

MFrontier wrote:
Also, Misuzu is totally into Tomo...

Painfully so. It is subtle, but Misuzu understands the "damage" that Tomo deals to Jun because she catches some of it, too. The times when Misuzu has to stop and just turn away, or tag out with Carol, because she can't deal with it are heartbreaking.

Then again, Cyrano de Bergerac is one of my all-time favorite stories.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:20 am Reply with quote
Misuzu - has a no-win position.

She went out with Jun and it was a failure (As Jun really wanted to go out with Tomo and basically treated it as a practice run as all the things they did were Tomo + Jun type dates) and she ships hard for Tomo herself (but sees what Tomo puts Jun through and can't bring herself to ask Tomo out).

In some ways I'd love for a Misuzu x Tomo ship just to see what Jun would do. Carol would be fine either way the ship sailed, but the more amusing way would suit her best....
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:52 am Reply with quote
I want to know what happened to that gold bar. She just casually dumped about $800K worth of gold on her desk. I know Tomo turned it down, but that means she has to lug it back home again. I guess she has a driver though, so that would make it doable, even though she doesn't seem like she could lift 27+ pounds, let alone carry it more than ten yards.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Nojay wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
We get more insight into why Jun feels the way he does about Tomo and why he tries to deny his feelings or Tomo's status as a girl...

Jun is very VERY aware that Tomo is a girl and he doesn't deny it. What concerns him is that Tomo is his best buddy and has been for the past ten years or so. His family moved in next door to the Aizawa dojo, he didn't have any friends and this red-haired chaos goblin hopped over the fence, starting a relationship with him that was, as far as he could tell, two young boys playing together. Tomo was, of course, aware she was a girl but Jun literally didn't know that. Tomo wants to remake their relationship into something more adult but Jun is still working through his response to that best-buddy relationship changing as he knows it must.

Excellent observations by Nojay and MFrontier of where we stand in this story at EP 6. As we saw in EP 5, Jun is slowly coming around as we saw while he looked into Tomo's face while her head rested on his bed. What is becoming comedy gold (which was literally quoted by the anime itself) seems to be the growing relationship between a classic Seme Misuzu and a very fem Uke Carol. Those two together just wonderfully plays in Aces against each other. Carol began as a rather obnoxious character at the start, but has become something of a sweetheart as the story has progressed, and my Queen of Snark Misuzu seems to be softening. Carol certainly wants to win her over. "Tomo-chan is a Girl!" is doing some interesting and wonderful things with gender issues and their perceptions.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:55 pm Reply with quote
With how slowly the series was going I thought they were gonna make a movie or something at the end.

But, episode 7 finally made a jump and we are back on track to finish in time.

You can feel the jumps, like where the trip comes from nowhere and the interrogant of where the swimsuit comes from.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:03 am Reply with quote
It did feel like there was some skipped content - so are they going to try and squeeze the lot into one season? It looks like they'll go past what's officially translated at this rate (or certainly what's available in the UK).

Also Carol shown to be totally unfit, then carries large gold bar into class - DOH!

Carol is soo dangerous.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Penrhos wrote:
It did feel like there was some skipped content - so are they going to try and squeeze the lot into one season? It looks like they'll go past what's officially translated at this rate (or certainly what's available in the UK).

Also Carol shown to be totally unfit, then carries large gold bar into class - DOH!

Carol is soo dangerous.

I did the math when the series was announced and the whole thing should have fit in 15 episodes, they are doing 13 so it's not like they need to cut a lot.

It's a shame we lose stuff like Carol looking at Tomo with dead eyes for suggesting using the school swimsuit but what are we gonna do, the flashback was too important to cut something.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:35 am Reply with quote
Childhood flashback! Smug smol Misuzu! Beach episode with bikini's! Jun's denials not holding up any longer! You love to see it!
Penrhos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:20 am Reply with quote
Jun took so much damage this week.

He can no longer deny the power of Tomo's oppai.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, this was the jumpiest episode, a shame we didn't get the follow-up of the "Don't grow like her" joke with Tomo-dad telling Misuzu to not to grow like her mother, Tomo-mom going ballistic at Tomo for for attempting to go to the festival in guys' clothes or Carol telling everybody that who forced her to strip was Misuzu, their faces are pure gold:

But, the last third of the manga virtually cannot have cuts.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Pretty solid progress going on...both in terms of Tomo and Jun's relationship, their respective feelings, Jun seeing Tomo beyond being a "bro," and Misuzu's real feelings.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:25 pm Reply with quote
So what happened during that sleep-over? Carol is all cuddled up with Tomo who doesn't notice her at all, and by morning, Carol and Misuzu have swapped places. How did that happen? Did Carol somehow move Misuzu without waking her up? Did Misuzu displace her in her sleep? Misuzu seemed to be as baffled as I was. Very Happy
Nojay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So what happened during that sleep-over? Carol is all cuddled up with Tomo who doesn't notice her at all, and by morning, Carol and Misuzu have swapped places. How did that happen?

Carol didn't do it. It happened because Carol was present. The Universe bends itself to satisfy Carol's unconscious desires. Deal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6