• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hell's Paradise: Jigokuraku (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:32 am Reply with quote
Personally, I think she should be allowed to live simply because she's hot, but hey - that's just me. Wink
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I didn't say anything about killing her. I just wouldn't team up with her. I don't disagree with Harleyquin's interpretation - I just don't see the gain from working with someone who thinks that way outweighing the risk of working with someone who thinks that way.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Your refusal to contemplate killing Yuzuriha is EXACTLY why you're known as Edjwald the Marshmallow around these here parts. Wink
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 4:44 pm Reply with quote
To be precise [adjusts glinting spectacles] I didn't say I would refuse to contemplate killing her. Self defense would be a given. Otherwise, she might not be worth the risk of teaming up with, but at least she'd serve a viable function as one more distraction for those Attack on Titant rip-of...(Kaff) island guardians.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 4:55 pm Reply with quote
For myself... why, I'd threaten to smoochies with her until she cooperated. Harsh? Perhaps. Perhaps...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:05 am Reply with quote
Somehow I have a feeling that you as a criminal on the island would be one of the first to go after having been charmed and discarded.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 3:28 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
For myself... why, I'd threaten to smoochies with her until she cooperated. Harsh? Perhaps. Perhaps...

Geez, all the poor woman did was manipulate and murder some people. Save that kind of torture for genocidal dictators and whoever came up with ATM fees. : Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:59 am Reply with quote
Oh, geez, you guys are JUST hilarious! Laughing Wink
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 06: Heart and Reason

Summary: Genji realizes that Sagiri is treading the middle path between heart and reason, then gives her his blade. Gabimaru uses Ninpo Ascetic Blaze Mode to cause fires and weaken Rokurota with carbon monoxide, leaving Sagiri an opportunity for beheading. Meanwhile, Aza and Toma find two naked lovers kissing in the jungle.

Comments: Some pretty cool tactics on fighting this giant. I don't know if this will be the final awakening of Sagiri's potential as an executioner, but it's a definite level up in her resolve and character building.

Her execution of Rokurota actually reminded me a lot of Tanjiro from Demon Slayer, in that it was empathetic and merciful, which I was always fascinated by in the latter. It's a peculiar duality of violent, yet compassionate. But I'm hoping this turns Sagiri into a total badass, now.

The couple making out the end was unexpected. Maybe a little allusion to Adam and Eve with the forbidden fruit? If they're part of the "gods" or whatever that live on the island, then they're probably also really tough, which will probably spell doom for Aza and Toma. Then again, Aza is so off his rocker, I don't think he'll let them go down so easily.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue May 30, 2023 12:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 1:37 pm Reply with quote
This show and Skip and Loafer are probably this season's Monogatari: Malevolent Spirits for me. I'm not saying they're the best shows, or the most successful shows, but I like them more the more I watch them. The other shows I'm still watching on a regular basis are either solidly maintaining or slightly waning.

Have to say I wasn't expecting a hot springs episode out of this anime. And while we're not on the subject, that Genji dude was pretty hard on Sagiri for not being up to snuff as a samurai, but I'm starting to wonder when Senta is going to display whatever qualities got him the job. That scene where Yurihozebag plucked off his glasses and rendered him helpless was pretty pathetic. But at least he demonstrated iron self control when tempted by food that could be infected with whatever flower virus is making the rounds.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Did not expect Groot to make an appearance but it is a strange island, after all. Well, they got some info... at least they know the Elixir is in the centre of the island so that narrow it down a bit. Mind you, it's being guarded by a pair of immortal, regenerating super beings so that's gonna present some issues. I've sort of lost track of who's still alive other than the four in Groot's village.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:53 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure whether viewers noticed, but the pair the brothers accidentally bumped into mid-tryst can change their gender at will. This is in addition to regeneration and eternal youth, so if they are as powerful as described in this episode the surviving pairs have their work cut out of them. There is no way any of the pairs can complete the mission entrusted to them on their own; they have to work together the same way the Gabimaru and Yuzuriha pairs are doing. Even betrayals won't matter much if it means the pair which succeeds in betrayal can't get off the island anyway.

If Gabimaru succeeds in getting off the island and reuniting with his wife, he'll need to learn how to handle children better or he'll never be able to start his own family.

I'm not sure if it was intentional, but Gabimaru and Sagiri repaid the "favour" of having to defeat Rokurouta on their own by fobbing off Mei's guardian to their partners for incapacitation. Just like Senta, we have no idea what Yuzuriha's ninjutsu is capable of as we see the visual effect but not what the actual combat capabilities are. Most humans probably would struggle against regenerating treant immortals (Houko), but she was confident enough to declare it was way below her level.

The episode has quite a bit of wry humour; watching Sagiri calm Mei down on multiple occasions and even help clean her up in the bath was both humorous and good entertainment. Seeing Senta absolutely drool at the sight of fresh fruit was also funny; he's taken on the role of the mascot fool for the time being in addition to his breadth of knowledge helping the remaining individuals get filled in on what's happening.

Hourai = 蓬莱 = Penglai island being the mythical island sought by Xu Fu by Emperor Qin Shihuang over a millennia ago to search for the elixir of immortality. It's enough to ascertain that the immortals on this island are based on Mainland China's Daoist mythology. All of the accessories in the village are purely Chinese from dynasties long extinct by the time of this series, in case any further proof was required.

Gabimaru was right: all of the dispatched Samurai were converted into plants to be then used as the raw material for Tan. That would be 丹, every Daoist immortal's favourite pastime of forging Dan which is the source of their immortality (together with immortal peaches if it's to be believed).

Not many individuals left in the OP animation who haven't been introduced formally by the end of this episode. The remaining must be the rest of the Tensen inhabiting the island by my guess.

Although this episode actually toned down the level of action compared to the last few weeks, world-building expository episodes like this are great as they fill in the surreal world the pairs find themselves in. Finding out more is great, although ADHD viewers would probably prefer these episodes be few and far between. I like it especially when they fill us in on Gabimaru's past with his wife and just how much influence she had in changing him from a human terminator into someone Sagiri could somehow get through to as a human.

From the credits:

Houko is written as 木人, which is usually pronounced as Mokujin by the Japanese. Unusual pronunciation.
The gender-changer is 菊花, which is a flower. Two VAs, one male and one female, assigned to the role. The male VA should be familiar to some viewers as he's had lots of roles elsewhere over the years.
菊花's partner is 桃花, also a flower. Female VA double-hatting both flower roles.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:30 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 7

Did not expect Groot to make an appearance but it is a strange island, after all. Well, they got some info... at least they know the Elixir is in the centre of the island so that narrow it down a bit. Mind you, it's being guarded by a pair of immortal, regenerating super beings so that's gonna present some issues. I've sort of lost track of who's still alive other than the four in Groot's village.

Welp, I thought Harley would be all over this cry for help, but I'll give it a shot even if I haven't gotten all the names down yet Smile.

Things didn't look good for the younger brother who became a samurai in order to rescue his sibling, and they looked even worse for his blank eyed bro. That was probably their last scene. But the younger sibling definitely wasn't dead when we last saw him frantically pulling vines away, and I can't help but remember that little bit where it looked like his brother had betrayed him and left him to die, and we heard the young samurai thinking that the main thing his bro had taught him was to never give up and do anything necessary in order to survive.

The tall dude with the moustache that could pop balloons is still alive. His samurai keeper was a blonde fellow with a bowl cut who mostly stood around and looked glum from what I recall..

The brainy villager and the blond muscle head are still around.

If there's anybody else, I've forgotten them myself.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 07: Flowers and Offerings

Summary: Gabimaru and Yuzuriha encounter a young girl with powerful abilities who is protected by a large wooden being. The being takes them to a village. Gabimaru takes time to bathe and recalls his wife's advice to relax in order to be prepared for the battle ahead.

Comments: Not a whole lotta' action in this one, so the fan service is kinda' all that looked good for capping. But I also didn't wanna' focus too much on cleavage and bare skin and make this post borderline NSFW (which cap #3 could've really looked, had I waited an extra second and some of that white-ish translucent liquid was dripping from her mouth).

It makes sense the the elixir is a kind of Philosopher's Stone (going by Fullmetal Alchemist logic, if you get my drift). All that eternal youth and long life obviously has to come from somewhere.

I'm sure it's not the end of that duo, just yet. Although, my guess is they probably won't make it to the end, anyway. Then again, if those immortals really are that tough, I suppose a sacrifice to show off their power or how high the stake are will be necessary. Maybe this is the calm before the storm?

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon May 15, 2023 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:14 pm Reply with quote
人間はどう呼んでるが知らないが、我々は“コタク”と呼ぶ。神々が住まう神仙郷だ。

The subtitles give this as "I don't know what humans call this place, but we call it Kotaku. It is Shinsenkyo, where the gods live."

I don't know why the episode summary takes the lazy way out and calls the village Kotaku, when it is clear from the context that the villagers call the island Kotaku, since it is very obvious that the Tensen do not live in the village. In case this wasn't enough, the visuals on the screen when this line is spoken show a paranoma of the island when viewed from the sea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8