• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hell's Paradise: Jigokuraku (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
I don't know why the episode summary takes the lazy way out and calls the village Kotaku, when it is clear from the context that the villagers call the island Kotaku, since it is very obvious that the Tensen do not live in the village. In case this wasn't enough, the visuals on the screen when this line is spoken show a paranoma of the island when viewed from the sea.

Sorry. I use an AI summarizer to condense Wikipedia entries to save me some time, and it occasionally mashes parts of the summary together with bad logic. I'll try to be more careful proofreading them in the future.

Thank you for pointing it out. I made an edit.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 11:55 am Reply with quote

We've had an imbalance of criminals and minders since episode 4, and it's this week that finally sees the imbalance corrected and Akaginu's minder formally introduced. We'd seen Shion in episode 2 in the encampment, but it's in this episode that we discover just how strong he is and how significant he could be as an ally to the main pairing's quest if they could somehow meet up.

For the first time the focus actually turns away from the main pairing for the entire episode, and it is worth the change in pace as we find out the backgrounds of Tenza and Shion. For the former, it is the only time he is in the spotlight as he goes out heroically to buy his two compatriots the time needed to escape. If last week's short vignette featuring the Tensen wasn't enough to convince the audience just how outmatched our intrepid explorers are, this episode rams home the monumental task facing the survivors in overcoming ageless immortals who can quite literally rip them apart with their bare hands or with mysterious force attacks which puncture humans like swiss cheese.

Another cameo appearance from Eizen, whose chat with Tenza actually changed his destiny and proved Shion's prediction right. A shame he fell so early against Rokurouta; it's clear he led the rest of his school well with his leadership skills even if he wasn't necessarily the greatest warrior in their ranks.

Poor Nurugai has lost her candidate for husband; but her story will continue as Shion will take responsibility for her as the remaining unattached executioner. He has made it clear that he will execute her if required as per the rules, but Tenza is probably right in that he lives by his conscience and will take care of Nurugai to honour his disciple's sacrifice. If by some unlikely chance Nurugai is the one who discovers the Tan Gabimaru and company are searching for, he will likely fulfil his responsibilities to the letter and assist her in getting off the island for the pardon. It's a big if though, and right now the pair of them have to outrun and survive before thinking beyond the short term.

This week's immortal is listed as 朱槿, yet another flower for a name. Same hermaphrodite characteristics and incredibly fast regeneration, with the VAs double-hatting roles.

There are shots of a younger Sagiri training with a number of her compatriots who eventually followed her onto the island. Because Touma is the newest recruit, he has the least connection with the other executioners and is bound to his brother anyway so there's little chance of him siding with the school while his brother lives. The rest who joined the expedition have been training together for years, with Eizen and Shion most likely the oldest members of the group.

Edit: One week break before next episode airs. Reportedly due to table tennis world cup airing during that week, with the broadcast timings clashing with the series timeslot.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Mon May 22, 2023 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Holy crap, this episode sucked for being so awesome!

I have to say, I like Gabimaru and Sagiri just fine, but I found myself wishing that they were the supporting characters and that Tenze, Nugurai (Sp ?) and Shion were getting most of the focus, and Gabimaru and Sagiri were the support. Loved and hated this episode.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 08: Student and Master

Summary: Tenza and Nurugai encounter a Tensen, which Tenza manages to decapitate, but it regenerates itself and pursues them. They are saved by Tenza's master, Shion, when suddenly, the Tensen strikes again, mortally wounding Tenza. In a last-ditch effort, Tenza gives his life so that the others can escape.

Comments: What a way to go. My hunch was Tenza would eventually make a heroic sacrifice, but I didn't think it'd be so early. The flashback was surprisingly effective in building him up, just enough, to make for an epic demise. I think what made it even more epic was the fact that he's not even that technically proficient as a fighter, but that he has so much spirit and runs purely on guts and attitude.

The fact that all these Tensen can just instantly regenerate seems a bit overpowered. But once their weakness is exposed, I'm sure it'll be a piece o' cake to actually slay 'em. Whatever positives the elixir has, there must also be some equally proportionate negatives. Maybe there's some kind of kryptonite on the island that neutralizes the immortality effect. Or maybe if they get too far from the island, they'll lose their regeneration?

The dynamic of Shion and Nurugai could be cool. I don't think they'd kill him off this early, because Nurugai would be too easy of a target by herself. So I'm hoping he can impart some sage wisdom on her before he might eventually kick the bucket. Grizzled veteran mentors usually make for interesting characters.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed May 24, 2023 12:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:52 am Reply with quote
Yup, those guys/galls/both are as monstrous as last episode eluded to. At this point not much of the group is left and unless they find some way to deal with their immortal enemies more of the survivors are going to die. Kudos to Tenza, he hung in there for a long time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:06 am Reply with quote
I have to assume the Immortals have some kind of Achilles' heel but really have no idea what it could be. The episode certainly was efficient and effective in making us care about some characters that hitherto we knew very little about.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Another week, another delay. With Mashle last week and this one this week I feel cursed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I've gotten to the point where if the delay is only a week, I actually feel quite lucky considering how long other delays have lasted/are lasting.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that is true, remember that nier anime?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:18 am Reply with quote
Akkk! I've been busy and haven't been keeping up lately. I had no idea the show was getting delayed. Thank God we've got Yamada 999 to pick up the slack.... Razz

(Ducking and Running)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:46 am Reply with quote
Oh, so we got a wisenheimer in the building... Wink
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:45 am Reply with quote

Two weeks from the previous episode felt much longer than it should have, but we're back with another episode. Plenty to enjoy and ponder as well.

Gabimaru broke one of his master's rules when he went off on his own: never fight an enemy you have no prior knowledge about. He did it previously when they were initially surrounded earlier in the island, but this time he should have heeded the advice as he was clearly outmatched. It shows how much stronger Gabimaru is compared to Tenza and baseline humans, but without a way to nullify the Tensen regeneration he has no way of winning no matter how much damage he dishes out. The action scenes ranged from very solid to quite comical (most notably the part where the pair are throwing high-speed punches at each other, a cheaper animation trick compared to the more elaborate set pieces). Gabimaru DID do enough to force Zhujin to deploy what appears to be the Tensen's ultimate move, the Kishigai form. However, it seems to rapidly age them as a side effect of consuming so much "Tao". Not enough to kill them, so something has to be done as it appears one of Gabimaru's blows DID have a noticeable effect at stunning his opponent.

Mei bailing out Gabimaru is a surprise, but not unexpected. Thanks to his compliment two episodes ago about not worrying about appearances, she's definitely in his corner. She is known by name to the Tensen who fought Gabimaru, so there's history between her and the Immortal Seven. She can manifest powers of her own, but probably not to the same extent as the gender-fluid immortals.

Houko's revelation about the village and its inhabitants is also a bombshell, but in different ways. Houko is most likely the last of his kind, as all of his kin are now trees who can do nothing but pray to their gods. He too will join them, so his time with Mei is short. He certainly cares for her, or he would not make the effort to journey through the mist with assistance from the remaining three visitors.

Gantetsusai did intend to finish off all of his competitors if he met them, so Gabimaru in his current state has no luck meeting up with a hostile competitor. He doesn't even have Sagiri with him, so if Gantetsusai with his one arm is stronger than Tenza he's going to be in trouble because of his current condition. On the other hand, if the other three can meet up with Gantetsusai and Fuchi they can bring the latter up to speed on what's going on and hopefully bring him onside.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:45 am Reply with quote
Hmmm. I really thought that fire might be the way to go with the tensen thingies. Kind of like Hercules burning the neck stumps of the hydra. But instead, it looks like they've got some kind of weak spot in their midriff. Like a chakra or something? Maybe that's where their bodies refine the fluid...like the liver detoxifies, or the kidneys filtrate, or whatever? Or maybe there's a yuckie little seedling with teeth and eyes hiding in their gut...

I was also surprised to see that both brothers survived the pit that was supposed to process them into immortal juice. I was expecting the black haired one to escape somehow, but I thought the blonde one we last saw with rolled up eyes was dead already.

Don't know what to make of the implication that the hermits were originally one soul that split. I'd be more inclined to think it was cool if they each seemed to represent some personality type.

Anyhow, still loving the show.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Hmmm. I really thought that fire might be the way to go with the tensen thingies. Kind of like Hercules burning the neck stumps of the hydra. But instead, it looks like they've got some kind of weak spot in their midriff. Like a chakra or something? Maybe that's where their bodies refine the fluid...like the liver detoxifies, or the kidneys filtrate, or whatever? Or maybe there's a yuckie little seedling with teeth and eyes hiding in their gut...

If you look closely, just before it connects with the Tensen's midriff, Gabimaru's foot seems to have somewhat of a golden glow. Which sort of looked like the power that the Tensen and Mei have.

After being hit with it, the Tensen said "Your physical capabilities...You probably don't realize it yourself, but you're probably..."

Which made me think that perhaps when the ninja village chief was raising Gabimaru, he might have given him a sip of his elixir: the one that had made the chief impossible to kill. That might also explain how Gabimaru seems to recover from near fatal and what should be debilitating injuries and wounds (not to mention blood loss) with just a few hours of rest. Perhaps, the ninja village chief didn't give Gabimaru a full dose of the elixir, so Gabimaru doesn't regenerate instantly, but instead just eventually completely heals after a while.

Which made me wonder if he also has that golden glow power, but doesn't know it and he just used it instinctively when he was desperately trying to think of some way to effectively attack the Tensen.
Edjwald wrote:
I was also surprised to see that both brothers survived the pit that was supposed to process them into immortal juice. I was expecting the black haired one to escape somehow, but I thought the blonde one we last saw with rolled up eyes was dead already.

The older brother's eyes actually opened at the end of the last episode once his younger brother freed him from the vines. The one eye of his that actually has a pupil was not rolled up when he opened his eyes.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:48 pm Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:
If you look closely, just before it connects with the Tensen's midriff, Gabimaru's foot seems to have somewhat of a golden glow. Which sort of looked like the power that the Tensen and Mei have.

The older brother's eyes actually opened at the end of the last episode once his younger brother freed him from the vines. The one eye of his that actually has a pupil was not rolled up when he opened his eyes.

Good catches. And the theory about Gabimaru sounds fairly plausible considering how the series started. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8