• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dead Mount Death Play

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:50 am Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
That's exactly the reasoning Corpse God used.

I thought he said that's why he couldn't get the info from the body's brain/mind as he was displacing his soul. He could access language because of it being so deeply ingrained by repetition, but apparently family details were too recent to be so encoded, and the most recent trauma overwrote it. That may extend to the ghost as well, but I didn't get that we know that from what he said, and also since he offered that explanation before revealing the ghost's presence.

Misaki's suicide attempt was out of sheer curiosity, not trauma, per se, though her broken brain is certainly a result of her past. So I guess you could look at it either way, but to me, happily trying out suicide for non-depression reasons would be a near definition of mp(z)dg sunny and irrepressible behavior. Smile She may not value life, her own or others', but she sure does value having fun at whatever you're doing, and she seems to want everyone else to have fun too.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:44 am Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
LastPage 3 wrote:
Does she actually count as a manic pixie dream girl when we actually get a look at what makes her tick right in the first episode?

Yeah, I think so. Current behavior trumps past trauma. Though I'm not versant enough to name an example, surely there are some mpdgs that have sad pasts they've overcome to be mpdgs?

It's not really past trauma when she tried to kill herself in the present because of her own actions, is it? She hasn't overcome anything.

If she was constantly trying to kill herself, but Polka constantly revived her (which in itself would be some good macabre humour), then that would work. But since she's not it doesn't really.
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:15 am Reply with quote
Misaki comes across as a typical genki/energetic girl with a violent edge. She's not changing the protagonist's life. If anything, the MC is the one who has changed her life. If you dislike genki girls, that's fine but Genki =/= MPD girl.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:43 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Misaki's suicide attempt was out of sheer curiosity, not trauma, per se,

You actually bought that?

She tried killing herself out of guilt, not curiosity. She framed it as curiosity because you know, she's crazy.

Hal14 wrote:
Misaki comes across as a typical genki/energetic girl with a violent edge. She's not changing the protagonist's life. If anything, the MC is the one who has changed her life. If you dislike genki girls, that's fine but Genki =/= MPD girl.

This.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:17 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Misaki's suicide attempt was out of sheer curiosity, not trauma, per se,

You actually bought that?

She tried killing herself out of guilt, not curiosity. She framed it as curiosity because you know, she's crazy.

Yes, she could live with killing bad people. But once she realized she could just as easily kill good people, she tried to commit suicide—because, in her mind, being an executioner was okay, but being a serial killer was not. She only broke off the suicide attempt when she was told she hadn’t actually crossed that line because “Polka” was still alive.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I just rewatched the latest episode, and I had totally missed Lemmings sneaking around everywhere, seemingly invisible, looking up files at the police station, tracking various characters, and then finally showing himself after killing the lights at the bar. Always in the background, and always only for a split second. Kind of makes me want to rewatch the other episodes to see if he was there too. Also, can't wait for the next one!
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 1:06 pm Reply with quote
The anime is finally hitting the part where the manga really started to grab me. Can't wait for next week.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
His nephews are haunted by a half-mad ghost...

They may be twins, but I'm pretty sure Kazuki is Polka's niece. Smile

Seemed like there was some nice animation in the opening battle? Too bad it was all too dark to really see any of it. :/ Otherwise, great episode. I'm madly enjoying this all so far!
Aerdra

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:45 am Reply with quote
So, Polka casts a huge spell on an immobilized Lemmings, and then we cut to the aftermath where everyone's fine. Did I miss something somewhere?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 4:46 pm Reply with quote
You missed this single frame:

See those little marks in the middle? I guess that's Lemmings in the moment he disappeared, as he is wont to do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(Yeah, seemed pretty abrupt to me too, in case my cynicism didn't make it through the screen Wink)
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:44 pm Reply with quote
He didn't seem immobilized to me, just slowed down
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:25 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
(Yeah, seemed pretty abrupt to me too, in case my cynicism didn't make it through the screen Wink)

So it's not just me that felt something was off.

killjoy_the wrote:
He didn't seem immobilized to me, just slowed down

The point is that Lemmings was in what seemed to be an overwhelmingly disadvantageous situation, yet escaped unharmed, without any explanation. However, the conversation in the aftermath suggested that it was Polka and Misaki who were lucky to get away. As a viewer, I can fill in the blanks as to what was going on, but it still feels like the show skipped a couple scenes.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 9:52 am Reply with quote
Bit of trivia: The lines that the Fire-Breathing Bug sings at the end of this episode are lyrics from a real Japanese children's song.

Quote:
I've known many kinds of otaku in my day, but a B-movie shark otaku… well, that's a new one.

Sayo is channeling Narita's (the author's) real-life shark movie obsession. He spent a while using ML image generation to make posters for B-grade shark movies that don't exist and posting them to social media earlier this year.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I have to give the show credit- I was pretty sure I would hate Misaki and the "Kawaii Murder-Girl" schtick. But they've kept the exposure restrained enough, and the context shifting enough, that she hasn't really rankled.
pi8you

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Finally, Phantom Solitaire makes his proper debut, he's been my favorite character in the manga and they did a great job with his theatrics here. I also have to cheer for the unexpected Murciélago cameo, replacing what I think was originally a fictional title (anime when?!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6