• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dr. Stone: New World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:22 pm Reply with quote
On the issue of range, at this point we know that the original petrification covered the entire world starting from a single point in South America (as observed by Byakuya from the ISS). We don't know if that was the result of a single device or multiple working in concert from a single position at this point. We also don't know if this device is exactly the same as that one, it could be a prototype with more limited functionality, another version of the same thing, or even theoretically an improved version. It's most likely not the exact same device since that was set off at South America and this is in an Island in Japan on the other side of the world, so unless whoever set this up brought it from the one to the other it's likely a different device working on the same principles. We actually don't know how this island has it at this point though, so that possibility does still exist. Likely it was brought there specifically to try to address Byakuya and Co's descendants since otherwise the coincidence seems a bit strong, but this does raise the question of why they're still around and not petrified.

So yeah, if the range is the same as whatever caused the original device, it's theoretically capable of encasing the entire globe. Even if not, it can be many times less than that and still cover the entire island.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:49 pm Reply with quote
This episode had me laughing probably more than it should. One, because of Nikki's "hard and fast" approach to just knocking someone out to get a boat. But two, Magma and Gen's interactions. I watched the dub for the episode, and I think I was laughing harder because their VAs are partners, so I could almost imagining the two of them playing things off in the booth like how Magma and Gen were in the show.

But yeah, things are going full tilt to the end, and next week I think is going to make a lot of people excited.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:
On the issue of range, at this point we know that the original petrification covered the entire world starting from a single point in South America (as observed by Byakuya from the ISS). We don't know if that was the result of a single device or multiple working in concert from a single position at this point. We also don't know if this device is exactly the same as that one, it could be a prototype with more limited functionality, another version of the same thing, or even theoretically an improved version..

I was wondering if the story would get to this because my immediate thought upon seeing the device was "where did this come from??". We "know" that none of the ISS crew had it so either someone found one or whoever was behind the incident brought one. But then, why did they just vanish after that, or are thier decedents still to be found elsewhere? Then there is "Why Man".
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:35 am Reply with quote
Very solid episode all around. I love how the manga author took an educational premise and is able to make real thriller plots out of it.

Yeah, I’d be too scared to do Ibara’s plan, being alone like that would be awful.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:59 pm Reply with quote
In terms to the antibiotics, I would like to assume that Senku actually would have materials to treat wounds and infections both on the Perseus and the mobile lab. While on the ship, they may have been taken or destroyed, not so much with the mobile lab, with how much was actually still inside despite how much it was torn apart this season.

But yeah, the climax of the battle - and the biggest part of the arc - was animated quite wonderfully here, and it was so good to see Ibara get his comeuppance once more. I've hated him already from the manga, and having him animated made me hate him more, so to see his downfall in both forms filled me with so much delight. And now to the last few episodes, which I'm curious how they'll set up the ending in order to prepare for a hopeful Season 4. Namely curious if spoiler[they'll do what they did with Ryusui and tease Dr. Xeno and maybe Stanley. I think it would be neat if they did, like just some small visuals of Xeno's claws and Stanley's smoking a cigarette, giving us a taste of what they're going to be like and setting us up for the North America arc.]
zekro94

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
In terms to the antibiotics, I would like to assume that Senku actually would have materials to treat wounds and infections both on the Perseus and the mobile lab. While on the ship, they may have been taken or destroyed, not so much with the mobile lab, with how much was actually still inside despite how much it was torn apart this season.

But yeah, the climax of the battle - and the biggest part of the arc - was animated quite wonderfully here, and it was so good to see Ibara get his comeuppance once more. I've hated him already from the manga, and having him animated made me hate him more, so to see his downfall in both forms filled me with so much delight. And now to the last few episodes, which I'm curious how they'll set up the ending in order to prepare for a hopeful Season 4. Namely curious if spoiler[they'll do what they did with Ryusui and tease Dr. Xeno and maybe Stanley. I think it would be neat if they did, like just some small visuals of Xeno's claws and Stanley's smoking a cigarette, giving us a taste of what they're going to be like and setting us up for the North America arc.]

spoiler[That will be a great hook for a season 4 since most fans assume only senku revived so seeing 2 more people even as silhouettes would be a great way to tease. Maybe we'll get a liitle glimpse of Chelsea ]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Won't Ryusui be delighted when he learns he's now the most petrified and restored human on the planet (he's up to 4x now, right?)!
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, Ibara was the hardest final boss of the whole season, seeing how this was a glorified nerd fight and the other series have evil gods-and-what-not that's super impressive.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:18 am Reply with quote
zekro94 wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

spoiler[That will be a great hook for a season 4 since most fans assume only senku revived so seeing 2 more people even as silhouettes would be a great way to tease. Maybe we'll get a liitle glimpse of Chelsea ]
spoiler[As much I can't wait for the appearance of Chelsea, I think it'd be too early for her. I would wager that, if we were to see Chelsea, it'd be for a Season 5 to cover the South America arc. Unless they try to cover both the North and South America arcs in Season 4, which would be cool too, but she'd still be better shown much later on in the season.

But we could see Luna, which would be fine with me too! I just really hope she'll have pink hair. I love her pink hair look so much more than the couple of small shots we've had of her hair being blonde.]
Keen Fox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:57 am Reply with quote
I do not know if anyone noticed but the end credits of episode 20 was in colour!
This was such a nice detail!
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:42 pm Reply with quote
The hug between Senku and Kohaku is what actually sealed it for me to see them as a pairing. Yeah, it may not have been romantic in the sense, but it shows how very close the two of them had become. There is love there, even if it's not that sort of love, and I really appreciate that. It's also good seeing it within the actual context of the moment, versus it being a spoiler in the OP. It's beautiful in the OP, to be sure, but this one was definitely so much better.

As for the moments with Kirisame and Ginro, those panels were very tiny in the manga. Especially Kirisame's moment. I'm glad they did show it, however, because it is easy to skip over. For Ginro's moment, it actually goes straight from the panel of Kirisame's bow to Ginro and Suika going to the others and shouting about them missing the party. I really like how they added content to increase the flow between those two panels, plus having Kinro's reaction to Ginro's bragging.

I admittedly forgot that Francois spent the earlier part of their revival wrapped up in the kelp. Makes sense, since they either hadn't found the original clothes everyone came with or had Yuzuriha around to make more, but still, I did chuckle seeing them doing everything wrapped in greenery.

We got two episodes left, and still curious where exactly they'll end. I admit, I'll be sad when the season comes to an end, not knowing when a S4 will happen, but it's just been so much fun seeing the Treasure Island arc come to life.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:26 am Reply with quote
Keen Fox wrote:
I do not know if anyone noticed but the end credits of episode 20 was in colour! This was such a nice detail!
Yes I for one did, had to check the previous week's ED to be sure they hadn't changed it earlier and I was just then noticing. Now, in keeping with the science theme, do you know how that was done? I'm fairly sure I have one way figured out. Very cool touch!
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Most of this episode was filler, but it was honestly good and actually needed filler. This episode actually only covered one chapter. It was a very quick chapter too, jumping from their declaration to go to the moon, to reviving the folks of the island and Soyuz taking up the mantle as the new master, to Senku and Kohaku's talk, to Soyuz staying and sending Kirisame along, to them leaving to go back to Ishigami Village. While it was a decent transition chapter bridging the events of the end of Treasure Island and what is to come to wrap up the season, it was definitely too short to make into a dedicated episode if done on its own. I really like that they did add this content that expanded and better connected the panels together, but they also positioned this episode to cover the final two chapters of Volume 16 into what should be a great ending for Season 3.

I may or may not have shed a tear at seeing Byakuya with Senku again. Honestly, it was a very sweet moment. Suika sharing her glasses was also very cute, and I about busted a gut to Francois just popping up out of nowhere with their headlamp. Just more reason to love Francois, honestly. Of course, highlight for me was Senku and Kohaku's conversation. Coming off of the heels of the hug scene, it really goes to show more how close those two have become, plus it was just beautifully animated. All bonuses go towards the voice cast and the animation team for bringing that moment to life.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I really appreciate that the Anime slowed down to flesh this bit out. In general a lot of what they add are in service of enhancing the emotional heart of Dr. Stone and they're really good at it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:40 pm Reply with quote
It's been so long since we've seen Suika's un-meloned face I'd forgotten how cute she is. Very Happy

I was afraid they were going to just head on out from Treasure Island, so I was really happy that they did make the short trip back to see everyone and revive Tsukasa before setting off again. I just wish they could leave Ginro behind this time. I mean, sure, I was sad when he died for awhile, but I really can't stand him and he never gets any better, even though he should after what he's been through and done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6