• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Strongest Tank's Labyrinth Raids (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Rud and his group have plenty of firepower, but they are a tiny clan compared to the others. So, as annoying as it is, they do need to work together with them or hire a crazy amount of people for their own clan. I also agree that new additions such as the dungeon system and the other clans keep things fresh, though the show is indeed by no means amazing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking this a whole lot more now that the ex-Guardian has joined the party. He's a lot of fun.

Like everyone else, I was a bit nonplussed that sister isn't healed. I knew it was a mistake to give her the stone to wish on, since she's apparently so self-effacing that she felt it would be too presumptuous to wish to be completely healed for good, and so only wished, if it's not too much trouble, Magic Stone, to feel better for maybe longer periods at a time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:45 am Reply with quote
I originally dropped this anime, but I relapsed....umm, I mean, graciously decided to give it another chance...and I wound up liking it a lot more than I thought I would. A big part of that is that the sis con thing didn't go the route I was afraid it might, the hero turned out to have a lot more common sense than I expected, the saint turned out to have a lot more game, and the guardian is kind of a fun character in the same spirit as Tomoe for anybody who likes Tsukimichi Moonlight.

As to the ball, I don't really understand the logic of summoning the saint to a ball and asking her to join your guild in front of all the members/guests/town dignitaries/share holders and, most importantly, rivals from other guilds. The best case scenario is the hiring turning into an expensive auction and diplomatic loss, so that even if the saint does join, it would be in the least advantageous way possible. I guess it could be like proposing to someone in a public room, hoping the pressure will nudge them into saying yes?

The worst case scenario is getting slapped down in public.

I also don't understand the logic of inviting the clan leader that the saint is clearly friends with and loyal to and then humiliating that person on stage as part of the recruitment technique. Then claiming the person is incompetent and bragging about how you got them booted from the hero's party and recommended members of your guild to replace him when (A)the heroes party fell apart immediately afterwards, (B) the person in question conquered a labyrinth that your guild's representatives couldn't, and (C) the people you recommended to replace him came with him to the party.

It's almost like the real rationale was that it was fun watching. Like the start of a wrestling match where the "bad guy" talks trash..

(and it might even give the twins a push to join the protagonist's party at some point).

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:50 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna pull "an Edjwald" and provide a rationale for the questions that you raised above. And the answer to why the clans pulled what seems to the unobservant as illogical is simple: arrogance. The show wanted to demonstrate how arrogant the two clans are. They figured The Saint would be thrilled to be invited to join one of their august bodies and wanted to publicly humiliate the upstart clan "leader" who had the temerity to suggest an alliance with his tiny group.

*basks deeply in smugness*

Don't hesitate to consult with me again when something else eludes you.

(...hee hee hee...)
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm gonna pull "an Edjwald" and provide a rationale for the questions that you raised above. And the answer to why the clans pulled what seems to the unobservant as illogical is simple: arrogance. The show wanted to demonstrate how arrogant the two clans are. They figured The Saint would be thrilled to be invited to join one of their august bodies and wanted to publicly humiliate the upstart clan "leader" who had the temerity to suggest an alliance with his tiny group.

*basks deeply in smugness*

Don't hesitate to consult with me again when something else eludes you.

(...hee hee hee...)

So hold on, you're saying the vice guild master is arrogant?

Geez, how did you get *that* from the episode? Don't fly too close to the sun there, Icarus.

I mean, are you sure the vice guild master isn't just a shy tsundere who has a hard time making himself understood? What if he said, "I can't trust a clan led by a tank" because he meant that such a clan would be so awesome that it could wipe out his own guild in a heartbeat? What if his whole reason for calling the saint out in public was because he was too insecure and terrified to be alone in a room with her and desperately wanted the emotional support of his guild members?

It really feels like you're going out on a limb here...

(Was once called Impassive Aggressive Wink )
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:12 pm Reply with quote
So I just did a quick count, and as of week 8 I'm still watching 22 shows. That said, there are 2 that I've gotten a few episodes behind on, and 2 that I'm close to dropping. But this show isn't one of them. I've been solidly enjoying it ever since I gave it a second chance.

That said, here's a few minor grouses:

I wish we'd gotten to see loud mouthed vice guild leader san eating some crow, but I guess I'll have to settle for a silent shot of him hanging his head and facing the other way in the background while Rud gets a handshake from the other guild leaders.

Who's watching the labyrinth while the vampire loli is away? Don't those things need managers or something?

And I'm not sure what disease the little sister has, but I hope the words plot device are included in Latin somewhere in there. A medical condition that eats magic wishes like candy? Feels like it's cheapening the magic wishes somehow.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:32 pm Reply with quote
It took several weeks and a lot of effort, but they beat the dungeon and got their allies. In those weeks we had some character progression, lots of fights and the boss battle felt like a proper lengthy raid fight. Rud is truly the strongest tank, with both his shield energy and mana he can tank a hell of a lot.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:59 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
...Who's watching the labyrinth while the vampire loli is away? Don't those things need managers or something?

And I'm not sure what disease the little sister has, but I hope the words plot device are included in Latin somewhere in there. A medical condition that eats magic wishes like candy? Feels like it's cheapening the magic wishes somehow.
To the first point, I would say the system so far revealed is that dungeons are software driven so the "guardian" is just the admin and it runs itself unless they intervene. To the latter issue, I was thinking the same. Wasn't one supposed to grant any wish and if sis was dumb enough to waste one once it should be a capital offense that a second one isn't used to better effect. So next time, Rud should use the thing himself rather than give it to sis but it does remove the stakes from his struggles...

Also Ep9 makes it official if it wasn't already obvious, Rud has a harem (yes, including sis) and there is no reason for Amon Sloth to be guarded because she's succumbed to Rud's manly charms and maybe the other harem-ets' as well...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:02 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
]To the first point, I would say the system so far revealed is that dungeons are software driven so the "guardian" is just the admin and it runs itself unless they intervene.

I was thinking that Marius asked Rud to get someone else to manage his labyrinth so that Marius could go around playing samurai, but now that I think about it, the person who agreed to be a dungeon administrator was Rud, who's barely been in the dungeon since.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:33 am Reply with quote
I think I've forgotten something important? I thought Rud & Co wanted to ally with the other guilds to defeat the dungeon they just went into, and the worthiness test was to beat the 51st floor that no one else had. But then it turns out the 51st floor is the deepest, and they beat it and the guardian, and got the half-baked wishing jewel, so what do they still need to other clans for? I don't want to know badly enough to sit through any of this again, so I hope someone else has been paying attention and can give me the Cliffs Notes. Wink
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:49 am Reply with quote
They needed the manpower to keep the order in their town basically. Yeah, their clan is very strong, but they are a very small group and that limits them in a number of ways. The other guilds have the numbers.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, seems like the whole homunculi thing was not forgotten about after all. As with everything, it seems related to a demon lord, said baddy is doing evil since he has nothing better to do. To be fair though, spending hundreds if not thousands of years in a world with nearly nothing for entertainment sounds less than great.

Oh right, Rud using his mana is pushing him to possible becoming a monster, he is even hearing an evil voice.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Having so many anime on one day really makes for one heck of a season clearing. Anyway, the final episode like the rest of the season was okay. The strongest tank is not the worst show out there and there is some fun to be had, on the other hand, it also does nothing special and can be safely skipped without missing much of anything. I will compliment the show on having the former hero be in the final episode and somewhat redeem himself.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:03 am Reply with quote
[quote="Gina Szanboti"] I thought Rud & Co wanted to ally with the other guilds to defeat the dungeon they just went into, and the worthiness test was to beat the 51st floor that no one else had. But then it turns out the 51st floor is the deepest, and they beat it and the guardian, and got the half-baked wishing jewel, so what do they still need to other clans for? /quote]

Part of it is that the Big Guilds will keep other guilds from trying to take the labyrinth away from Rud's guild, (I forget the name of Rud's guild...the Shining Shield Guild? Guild Harem Bait?)

And part of it is that the town now has some big names behind it. Some of the biggest troublemakers in those episodes where Avancia was turning into a Gold Rush town were people who thought they could get away with anything because they were from big guilds. Now that same mentality will keep those people from causing trouble in officially protected territory. It's a little bit like a store being protected by the mob, I guess?

The part I don't get is why the duality twins are still part of another guild when they spend all their time in Rud's party...even helped Rud win that contest against their own guild's better interests.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2