• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Chobits DVD Complete Box Set [Classic]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote
Which doesn't explain why spoiler[Chi becomes human].
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quote
The show that began my love for anime, (as my avatar attests Smile ). The review hit every bullet point for me on the tee. Super job!
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Nicely written review, although I had to laugh at this:

Quote:
Seen that way, Chi ceases to serve as an idealized female and actually becomes something of a commentary on ideals of femininity...the fact that the series sprang from the minds of four highly intelligent women (that would be the CLAMP collective) lends it a certain credence.

Yeah, the same CLAMP collective that created the inexplicable, grossly erotic (as opposed to appreciably so) mess of a yuri that was Miyuki-chan in Wonderland (unless that was also social commentary, which might actually give it some context). I have no doubt that the CLAMP women are highly intelligent, but I also have little reason to believe, based on that material, that they would feel a great deal of apprehension about throwing whatever fetishized, libido-pandering subject matter (power switch in the vagina; unconscious, naked, infantile, totally dependent young woman found in a dark alleyway; sister-maid-shota-love; take your pick) they were so inclined to in and amongst their story, especially if it might help it sell a couple more copies to, well, guys like Hideki and my older brother (and on that account, it worked!). Chi is a nice character, don't get me wrong, but I find it unlikely that she's some subtle statement on the perception of women in hetero male-ingratiating erotica. She's basically oblivious, easily manipulated, works more on emotion than critical thinking and conflict-resolution, impeccably charming and innocent to a fault (the only catch here being Hideki has to struggle with the notion that he wants to bang her, too). She has depth, although it's poorly defined in my opinion, but I don't think Erin was too far off when they said CLAMP went out of their way to make the cutest character ever and (my sentiment) lost the opportunity to make a character with a real persona and presence.

Otherwise, I had my issues with the show, but I won't deny it was one of the first influential anime I saw that really made me want to dig into the medium, so I give it credit for that. Plus, CLAMP works some great drama into the series (along with their usual unmanageable clustercuss of a finale) and I do remember the A City With No People sequences as being particularly remarkable. :3
Xochoco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching this series and found it to be very entertaining and raised some interesting ideas in the "can a machine ever have a soul" trope.

The only thing that bugged me were the two odd "recap" episodes where nothing new happened in the plot.

The review did not mention the music. The Chobits theme song is crazy catchy. When I watch this show the theme is stuck in my head the rest of the day! Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2