• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nightmaresag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the series and can't wait for the movie (to be aired in Japan on Sept. 6, 08)

Gurren Lagann really had me with its words on Faith, Determination, Ego, and Resolve.... If you hadn't watch the series, well then you would think, "what is this with this dude that watches mecha with odd figures and nothing but the babes are eye popping" I'll tell you this: "Who the hell do you think I am"

Nevermind.... Anyway, EPIC series....
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Nightmaresag"]I've watched the series and can't wait for the movie (to be aired in Japan on Sept. 6, 08) quote]

I it true that the feature will be a cut and paste job of the series like nge d+r
Nightmaresag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Yup, I heard that the movie is some sort of a summary to the series....
Alestal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
Are they airing the dubbed version of this show on sci-fi, or is it going to be subtitled?
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
I cringe whenever someone mentions the dub and sci-fi while u @:!? bags get tengen toppa were stuck with...well nothing Its not fair dammit!!!
anyway just finished this recently and although some of the later episodes were quite slow the climax was satisfying enough spoiler[the ending special where all the lagann mechs kept spitting out their smaller forms was one of the coolest things I've seen in a while]
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Gurren lagann Parallel works

I looked for this in the music section and couldnt find it and thought Id just talk about it in here rather than start a new thread.

I personally love the soundtrack to Gurren Lagann (all bar the op theme). For those that dont know the Parallel Works are a series of (8?) music videos containimg alternative stories of Gurren Lagann set to songs from the original soundtrack(the animation style and story it tells really fit the music nicely).

My favoirite so far is Bust Through the Heavens With Your XXX! I loved the music for this one and seeing viral jump from 1 airship to the next was mint as F£££ Twisted Evil I also liked how he was the hero fighting the tyranical sky-pirate Kamina in a nice role reversal I hope there some kind of ova based on this one.

Another of my faves is the most recent "To Hell With Gattai!" all out mecha action here with all new characters and some redisigns of popular mecha from the series (rediculously priced limited edition horned gurren lagann anyone?)
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
Are they airing the dubbed version of this show on sci-fi, or is it going to be subtitled?

they had clips at Anime Expo, so it's most likely the dub.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:

Do you really think they'd show it on Sci-fi without a dub?
shogun22

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
Nightmaresag wrote:
Yup, I heard that the movie is some sort of a summary to the series....

I'd like to see the movie version, but i'd be more interested if they would show something that wasn't shown in the series like... spoiler[what happened during the time skip]
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Let me just start off by saying that I am a big Mecha fan. I've seen some of you in the Code Geass threads and/or the Gundam 00 thread, so you'll probably know who I am. But let me just say that I have NOT watched TTGL. I know. Shocking.

There are exactly three reasons why I have not yet watched TTGL, despite all the rave reviews amongst fellow Mecha fans.

The first is precisely because of all the "buzz": After hearing for months on end how much better the UC shows were over Gundams Wing and SEED, I bought Zeta Gundam at vast expense (and suffering great hassle with the shipping). I knew I going to be watching a show older than I was, and by being forewarned, I found the animation and the music to be fine. I also thought the plot was quite good for a Gundam series.

However, in certain areas the show wasn't bad, it was awful. I hated various characters (spoiler[Katz and Reccoa both beat Fllay from SEED on the "grating scale" hands down, I cheered when they both died]). And what was with all the spoiler[slapping and punching?]

Needless to say, I was severely disappointed and rather under-whelmed, especially after it had been talked up so much by UC fans. My point is that I am afraid that TTGL will not be as good as people say it is. I am afraid of being disappointed once again by a supposedly awesome Mecha show. Even if TTGL is objectively a great Mecha Anime, it has been talked up so much I feel I'll never be able to fully appreciate it. There's just too much expectation.

The second reason I haven't watched it yet is I cannot find a decent place to get it from (you all know what I mean. The dreaded "f" word). But then again, due to my lack of enthusiasm, it's not all that surprising. I did well enough by Code Geass R2 and Gundam 00, so its really a matter of motivation.

The third reason is to do with designs, both for the "Mecha" and Yoko. You see, I've seen the face-like designs for the "Beastmen" (I think that's what they are called), and they really don't appeal to me. Just too weird. I know this show isn't Gasaraki or Gunparade March, but did they have to make them look so out-there?

Another beef I have is with Yoko's character design, and specifically the outfit she wears. Now, as a guy I can readily appreciate the finer aspects of having a beautiful and busty girl strolling around wearing only a bikini on the top half of her body as though it was normal. But, it is actually distracting and off-putting, and I haven't even seen the first episode. Isn't it cold down there in those caves? Doesn't she have any sense of modesty?

It just seems to me, as someone who hasn't watched any of the series, that her design is purely to appeal to male audiences and bring them in. I'm not a feminist (though I try not to be misogynist either), but it just smacks of A: exploitation of women; and more relevantly B: what an insult that is to me, when they think that by giving her such a skimpy outfit I'll suddenly want to watch their show. Do they think people are that shallow? The answer is of course yes, but to feed off of that shallowness by appealing directly to it isn't a nice thing to do*.

Now, for those of you kind enough to read through this far, please note that this post is NOT flame-bait. Because this is where my questions come in: Did the Mecha designs and Yoko's outfit bother you initially? Or is the show THAT GOOD that you hardly even noticed them? Does the show live up to the hype it has generated? If not, then in what way do I lower my expectations?

I am stuck in limbo here: I really do want to watch it. I want it to be as great as people have claimed, because we could all do with more great Mecha shows. But I'm sceptical, and I don't want to get my hopes up just to have them dashed with a possibly over-hyped fanservice-laden show (no matter how awesome the characters are, or how cool the series is). It just feels like I'm an outsider, and I've missed out on a really great thing. And it's all because I don't have the key to get through the door, a key I'm hoping you will share with me.

*Though why Code Geass R2 is doing it I have no idea.
shogun22

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
dtm42, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann isn't trying to be too serious like Gundam 00, or even Code Geass, its an action drama-comedy mecha anime.

About it being fanservice-laden? Not really, as far as I know there was only one epsiode that was really fanservice-laden, and I think the broadcast version was edited.
zero_chance

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, by fanservice laden, I believe you're referring to episodes centered around fanservice, in which you'd be right, as only episode 6 really revolves around it as a gimmick.

But fanservice in general? Pretty much every scene with Yoko in it. As a character, she's actually quite surprising, not fitting into any character archetype you'd expect just by looking at her character design. Self-assured, surprisingly down-to-earth and vulnerable emotionally, and generally of the sweet girl-next-door quality, with quite an ass-kicking streak, with very little of her personality defined by her sexuality. But it doesn't change the fact that her design in and of itself is very sexually charged, and while the character herself doesn't go out of her way (at least, in mannerisms. Her wardrobe choices tell otherwise) to flaunt herself, the animation does that for her, with quite a lot of, erm, bounciness (not that you would expect less of Gainax, the pioneers of animation in that particular field...).
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so Yoko is "more fleshed out" (pun intended) than just being a fanservice symbol. And God knows I've had to put up with worse.

Okay, so I can check Yoko off the list. What about the hype? MAHQ, on its averages page, rates it higher than Macross or Zeta Gundam. Does that sit about right with you guys, or have they overvalued it?

And lastly, what did you think of the Mecha designs? Turn A Gundam suffered because of "that moustache", but I'm assuming that the Mecha designs in TTGL weren't a problem for the hordes of screaming fans. Or were they?

Honest opinions, people. If you hated aspects of it, I'll be glad to know. I'll also be happy to hear any positive thoughts as well.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Okay, so Yoko is "more fleshed out" (pun intended) than just being a fanservice symbol. And God knows I've had to put up with worse.

Okay, so I can check Yoko off the list. What about the hype? MAHQ, on its averages page, rates it higher than Macross or Zeta Gundam. Does that sit about right with you guys, or have they overvalued it?

And lastly, what did you think of the Mecha designs? Turn A Gundam suffered because of "that moustache", but I'm assuming that the Mecha designs in TTGL weren't a problem for the hordes of screaming fans. Or were they?

Honest opinions, people. If you hated aspects of it, I'll be glad to know. I'll also be happy to hear any positive thoughts as well.

the problem is you keep comparing this show to Gundam. it's not even the same thing. Guren Lagann doesn't take itself seriously at all. pretty much all logic is thrown out the window right from the beginning. it does get a bit more serious in the middle, but for the most part it's a fun show.
shogun22

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

The semi-retro designs which appear to have been influenced by old mecha designs from the 70's and 80's are ok because they fit the show.

Some of the designs might look silly or exaggerate, but thats just part of the humor (and feel/treatment) of the show. spoiler[When was the last time you saw a robot with shades?]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19