• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann.

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zero_chance

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
If you had to compare it to a Gundam show, the only appropriate comparison would be to G Gundam, being a Super Robot anime in and of itself.

But Gurren Lagann eschews the formulaic-ness of the more classic Super Robot shows that G Gundam was trying to emulate, instead aiming for a more spontaneous, bombastic approach to everything it does.

Everything that happens, everything that is said, and everything you see in Gurren Lagann is so far from realistic, so far from possible that you can't really make base comparisons to much anything else. But that's not really the point of the show. It's an over-the-top ode to all the hot blooded heroes of anime, where courage and iron will are enough to take down even the mightiest army, and surmount the greatest of challenges, and it does it with such infectious energy and eye-popping visual flare that you can't help but get sucked into it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Thought I'd peek into this thread and see why it's been made active again...

Re: Buzz -- that's exactly the reason I didn't watch this show when it was first airing. The ridiculous oversubbing, the hype from every corner of the Internet...it all backfired and diminished my interest. Plus there was a certain Kyoto Animation series airing at the same time that had copious amounts of the "other" m-word Wink Wink Wink But about a month ago, I decided to give it a try for various reasons. While I haven't seen quite the same awesomeness that others have, I've still found it worth watching through episode 19 so far. The art style is "out there," and while that bothered me at first, TTGL does have good-quality backgrounds and animation during its fights. I tried to set aside the hype while watching and just see the show for its own merits. The story does get into more serious later on, or at least more complex than "Pierce the heavens with your drill and defeat the bad guys!", which I'm a little concerned about given all the absurdity and illogic that has transpired so far.

Re: Yoko -- she's actually spoiler[from the surface, so the coldness of the caves isn't a factor in her outfit.] (Imo not a major spoiler since she's introduced that way in the first or second episode.) Generally, I chalked her character design up to Gainax being Gainax. As far as "distracting fanservice" goes, other Gainax shows like Mahoromatic and This Ugly yet Beautiful World had more than TTGL. I thought her design was more of an "extra spice" for all the fans who tuned in for the robots and fighting than a fanservice hook to rope people in to watching. Oddly enough, she does have a sense of modesty, as seen in a later episode when she spoiler[wears a swimsuit that's less revealing than her normal outfit and rebukes the other girls for wearing swimsuits that are too revealing.] (Not a major plot spoiler, but tagged just in case.)

Re: Mecha designs -- to me, the mecha were just methods of expressing the hot-blooded manly heroism of the characters. You could almost say that TTGL isn't really about the mecha in the first place. As others have said, they're definitely more related to the Super Robots of the 70s than the Real Robots of the 80s or the Angst Robots of the 90s like Evangelion and Escaflowne. There's zero attempt to portray the TTGL mecha as "fighting machines" in terms of relative strength, limits on maneuverability/ammunition, piloting skill, or support/repairs. It's all powered by the willpower, fighting spirit, and physical condition of the pilots. With all that unrealism, the faces didn't seem so weird to me once I got used to them.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Can't help but add my two cents, even if they're probably redundant by now.

Until recently, I had only seen about 5-6 episodes of TTGL. To make a long story short, I thought it was a decent show but decided to put it on hold and come back once the entire series was over. That's exactly what I did, and this time around I'm really loving the show so far, up to episode 17, and this is from someone who was -and remains- already spoiled about certain important events (granted, you could also argue that my expectations had been affected because of this).

No, it's not a particularly deep show, but it's still very enjoyable and actually has a pretty consistent overall plot -though there are a few noticeable twists that shake things up- once the pace gets going. Some of the earlier episodes might seem a bit tiresome at times, but I thought they provided some build-up for what came later.

Now, Super Robot action is what TTGL does best and it really starts going over the top quite quickly in that respect, but logic and realism isn't really supposed to be a concern. You're just meant to enjoy it without worrying about how the mechanics work or why certain Robots can do certain things, like others have mentioned.

Once I was able to get back into that attitude, I had no issues with it. Characterization is surprisingly good for much of the main cast -albeit not all across the board, but maybe that's just me, since a couple of characters weren't really to my liking-, and there's some decent humor, though slapstick is also present. I've liked most of the music and the character designs are OK, even though I'm not a big fan of that particular style.

Regarding fanservice, there's a fairly significant amount of it, mainly via Yoko though she's not the only source (I can think of three other characters who also provide it, one way or another), but I didn't feel it was oppressive or anything. One can get used to it.

Then again, as a disclaimer...I was able to enjoy Godannar, a rather different show where fanservice is massive, constant and unrelenting...but it's still an entertaining series and in the same Super Robot genre, so TTGL's share of T&A seems quite reserved in comparison, at least in my eyes.

Finally, like others have said, I wouldn't directly compare this show to a Real Robot series or the average Gundam. It's not necessarily "better" in technical or artistic quality, but still...in terms of pure fun factor, it's probably more entertaining than a whole bunch of them, if you can get used to the kind of show that it is (or if you spoil yourself and adapt your expectations accordingly...that works too).
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
the problem is you keep comparing this show to Gundam. it's not even the same thing. Guren Lagann doesn't take itself seriously at all. pretty much all logic is thrown out the window right from the beginning. it does get a bit more serious in the middle, but for the most part it's a fun show.

Yeah, I know I'm comparing it a bit too much to Gundam. But that is due (in part) to me being worried that the same experience that nearly ruined Zeta Gundam for me (the show was over-hyped) will happen to me again.

I am not really as uptight as I seem to be coming across as, and a fun series is always good once in awhile. I'm just worried that I'll be too busy getting over dashed expectations to enjoy what could be an objectively great show.

To everyone else that has posted in reply to my comments, I thankyou.

I've thought about it, and I think I'll try the first two or three episodes. By that time I'll either be hooked and watch the rest, or I'll be turned off and move on to another series (having not spent too long on it, or invested too much). The important thing is to give it a go and stop procrastinating. It's not the end of the world if I hate it. Who knows, if I can relax enough, I might even like it.

Cheers.
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
what did you think of FLCL and diebuster? if you liked the animation in those you'll probably be able to stomach this show
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
kaizen-dono wrote:
what did you think of FLCL and diebuster? if you liked the animation in those you'll probably be able to stomach this show

Haven't seen Diebuster, but I have seen FLCL. I thought FLCL was very good. It is very random, and the wackiness rating is off the scale. But it has an actual story underneath the fanservice and the insane goings-on. The music rocks, the animation is absolutely mind-bogglingly good, and it's just a blast to watch.

Oh.

You make a good analogy there, kaizen-dono.
joshuafer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
This time he used audio from Pirates of the Caribbean at worlds end, did a great job with the timing. I originally found it at an AMV site, but it is on youtube. So I will post the youtube link, be warned it has some pretty MAJOR SPOILERS !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1J93JG4Gu8

I think it was the same guy that did the GAR-formers one, he is pretty good, imo.
Ialdaboth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Ialdaboth wrote:

New licenses should be reported in the Encyclopedia Forum under the proper thread according to its region. I covered you here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 19 of 19