• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Collect 'Em All

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:22 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Does anyone have an email address for the guy on the Fandom Post thread that's selling stuff as I've signed up because I'm interested in some stuff of his and also to ask him if he shipped to the UK, but it turns out that the forum is one of those where you have to wait for someone to approve your application! Evil or Very Mad

That list has been up for a couple of months, so I don't think you should have to worry about losing out on the things you want while you wait for approval. All deals with him were done through PM on the site, so I think you're going to need to wait.

He's started posting some of his things on Amazon now, so you can look for them there as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Oh, and for people interested in buying Urusei Yatsura.......don't!

Currently, I've got a roundabout figure for the TV series, OVA and movies would be around 600 dollars. That includes everything EXCEPT Volumes 26, 27,43 and 44. Those four discs ONLY exist in ONE site. Which would be RACS. HOWEVER, they only exist as parts of a set of 10 DVDs, which go for the princely sum of 500 dollars a set. EACH!!!!!!

I might just buy the complete set for 850 bucks, minus Movie 2. Which I could get for hopefully less than 50. So 900 for the entire, complete set.

I am so screwed.

Well-RACS is well known for ripping off people price wise-I can honestly say that I never have or will purchase anything from them. As for UY-it just never did much for me-I have the movies and 2 discs of the tv series. Maison Ikkoku is a whole 'nother story though. When I saw that You're Under Arrest was going oop I immediately went to Animeigo's website (I already had boxes 1 & 2) and got box 4 and the singles for box 3 as it's VERY HARD to get at a reasonable price.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Does anyone have an email address for the guy on the Fandom Post thread that's selling stuff as I've signed up because I'm interested in some stuff of his and also to ask him if he shipped to the UK, but it turns out that the forum is one of those where you have to wait for someone to approve your application! Evil or Very Mad

That list has been up for a couple of months, so I don't think you should have to worry about losing out on the things you want while you wait for approval. All deals with him were done through PM on the site, so I think you're going to need to wait.

He's started posting some of his things on Amazon now, so you can look for them there as well.

Thanks for the assist although I'm genuinely surprised that the forum that I saw the anime for sale on is one of those forums where you have to wait for a Mod to let you post to the site or PM a member there. I just hope it's not too long, especially as I plan on spending some of my first term's university funding buying the DVD's that I want to buy, especially as a lot of these are cheaper than what you can buy on eBay or RightStuf's Bargain Bun... (It's a crying shame he didn't have any of ADV's St Seiya DVD's, especially from Volume 4 onwards)
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Uggg... all 18 DVD volumes of Cardcaptor Sakura for almost $900
http://www.animecornerstore.com/cacasabtvse.html
I'll have to be rich as Donald Trump to afford that. Crying or Very sad
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Dammit. Mine came without one and I was told by the guy in the store that they were all like that. When I said that all the others had one, he said that it had to be some production mistake then. Idiot.
Oh, that is a shame! I was lucky and got my entire set off eBay for $20 total.

Ortensia1980 wrote:
They probably will license it. I hope so anyway...
Me too......*is forever a CLAMP consumer whore Anime hyper*

trunkschan90 wrote:

Hilarious considering the complete set of singles is going for way less on eBay. I've seen people trying to sell it for less then $300.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CheechMonger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:

I see that they have a 10% coupon for Labor Day, so that would knock almost $90 off of it, but still... Anime cry
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
@willag I finally got my account with "The Fandom Post" activated yesterday and got in touch with the guy selling the anime reasonably cheap, and fortunately he's agreed to keep the stuff that I want to buy from him until just after the 23rd as I should get my first term's funding from university just before then (unfortunately, somebody beat me to the Gravion set that was being sold for $10 without me realising it, but at least I'm going to get the other stuff; especially Nerima Daikon Brothers for $12 including artbox! Anime smile)
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Oh, and for people interested in buying Urusei Yatsura.......don't!

Currently, I've got a roundabout figure for the TV series, OVA and movies would be around 600 dollars. That includes everything EXCEPT Volumes 26, 27,43 and 44. Those four discs ONLY exist in ONE site. Which would be RACS. HOWEVER, they only exist as parts of a set of 10 DVDs, which go for the princely sum of 500 dollars a set. EACH!!!!!!

I might just buy the complete set for 850 bucks, minus Movie 2. Which I could get for hopefully less than 50. So 900 for the entire, complete set.

I am so screwed.

I recall you posted about this on another thread and I would like to ask-just out of curiosity-was there a particular reason you waited this long to go for UY? I only ask because I know that you buy a lot of anime so I was surprised you didn't already have this.

I had started to think about this show when I noticed RightStuf selling all of it for about $10 per DVD out of the bargain bin, but I still felt it was too much and I was never a big fan of Rumiko Takahashi's commercial stuff (or the anime based on it). I bought Beautiful Dreamer back in 2006 and, although I enjoyed it, it did not make me want to run out an buy everything else and I only ever saw a few clips of the TV show. Even after AnimEigo announced the end was near I held off. Three things changed my mind: first, I saw the first two episodes at a club meeting and was very impressed; second, I found I was due a $400+ tax refund from the state which I did not expect; third, I discovered I could get it even cheaper by ordering direct from AnimEigo. I got it all for $423 (50 TV DVDs, 6 OVA, 5 movies) and now I'm glad I didn't wait any longer.

In truth, for the last year and a half I have been kind of on a mission to find various obscure things I wanted. I've been pretty fortunate not to have to spend too much most times. The most expensive were $65 for a used copy of Crusher Joe and $54 for a used copy of BAOH (coincidentally both from AnimEigo).

I don't want this post to be too long so I'll come back later and talk about some of the other rarities I have.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
All this talk about UY reminds me I grabbed an archive of Sailor Moon TV to go through the same way I went through UY. 1 or 2 episodes a day until the entire series is finished.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't see any problem watching Urusei Yatsura because, due to its episodic nature I can just watch some anytime I want and not worry about gaps in watching, I just need to make sure to keep track of where I left off. I do the same with Case Closed.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading this thread at work all week (unfortunately I can only look when on my work computer) but could not post because of having no power (or cable/phone/internet) at home thanks to Irene. At last I get to "brag" about rare things I have, mostly by accident, although as I previously mentioned I have been trying recently to get certain things.

Overman King Gainer: I was surprised to see this mentioned a lot as I got the impression reviews on this show were decidedly mixed. From what I had heard the consensus seemed to be the robot fights are great, not so the rest. In any case, in March 2009 I was getting Getbackers out of the RightStuf bargain bin and needed to add something for free shipping. There was a Bandai sale going on and I noticed there was 1 copy left of the Anime Legends set of OKG. I had been re-reading some old issues of Newtype USA and had read an article about the show so I decided to toss it in my cart. Having seen single-digit counts mysteriously change to triple-digits I had no idea this would actually go OOP.

Shamanic Princess: This was mentioned in an early post (by Melanchthon). Sometime back in 2004 I was in a Best Buy store with some cash burning a hole in my wallet and a hunger for anime. Since I didn't have that much cash I was looking for something where I could get all of it at once and seeing this was complete on one DVD for under $20 I bought it. I've watched it twice and enjoyed it immensely both times. BTW, if you're looking for this I saw some used copies on Amazon the other day going for about $7-8. There are two versions, one from 2001 and one from 2003 (the one I have), I don't know if there are any differences other than the cover.

Haibane Renmei: I was at AnimeNext in 2006 with very little money to spend and there was a vendor selling all kinds of Geneon singles for $5 each. Because of their high prices (even on sale on line I could never afford them) there was a ton of stuff that I wanted and it made me crazy I just couldn't afford it. I decided I could manage $20 so I picked a series on 4 discs which was this one. Ironically, I was later able to get the other shows I wanted for $4 per disc during RightStuf 25-for-$100 sales. Hopefully FUNimation follows through with their relicense so people who want this don't have to pay ridiculous prices.

Patlabor: The third movie was the first anime DVD I ever bought. I know some people down this film because the regular cast only shows up for a few minutes but I still think this is a great monster movie. I purchased the Manga releases of the first 2 movies early in my anime collecting. As for the rest, at AnimeNext one year (2007 maybe) Science Fiction Continuum had box sets of the original OVAs, the three TV boxsets and the New Files OVA set so I got them all for about $130. Last year I double-dipped to get the 3-disc special edition of the third movie since it has the disc with the Mini-Pato episodes (I refuse to pay huge bucks for BVUSA's reissues of the first two movies, however).

The End of Evangelion: As an anime fan, I knew I needed to check out this anime at some point, but I was frustrated with ADV's constant remastering/repackaging etc. so I kept waiting. Finally, when they released the Platinum thinpak I decided I would get that on the next TRSI ADV sale. In the meantime they ran a Manga sale (for some reason Manga was always 50% off MSRP so it was a nice discount with GotAnime) so I grabbed the movie box set so I could watch them once I got the TV series. Given how ADV/Section 23 continues to keep repackaging the TV show I am surprised Manga would let the movies go OOP.

Karin and Shakugan no Shana: One of the things that used to frustrate me with Geneon was that, along with their high prices, whenever they did a sale at TRSI it was only 35%, whereas all the other publisher DVD sales were 40% (and Manga Entertainment was 50%). I know it's only 5% but it still bugged me. This even continued for a time after FUNimation took over distribution. Then one time TRSI had a special sale on "selected" box sets from Geneon and FUNimation with 40% off MSRP and if you bought two you got a Hellsing messenger bag free. I had seen all of SnS at our anime club and some of Karin so I decided to get those, combining them to get free shipping and the bag. (Unfortunately, I did not stop there and ordered the craptastic first FUNimation release of Kanon which is crappier packaging-wise than the S.A.V.E. version and cost twice as much.) For some reason FUNimation always treated the Geneon stuff better than the stuff they got from the ADV-Sojitz debacle. Both these thinpaks have the original 6 discs with whatever on disc extras (SnS has a seventh disc with the OVA), unlike Kanon which was stripped of extras and crammed on 4 DVDs.[/b]

Ergo Proxy, Black Lagoon and Kamichu!: got the thinpaks for these also; EP came from the big Best Buy selloff, the others from TRSI sales. Again both EP and BL have the original 6 discs of content, EP also has an extras disc and BL has two extras discs. Now I think of it, I guess since they were just the distributor maybe FUNimation couldn't strip and cram these like they did some of the Sojitz rescues.

Paradise Kiss: I'd been on the fence about buying this for a long time. We watched it at our anime club and I thought it was a very good show, but romantic dramas are not really my thing so I wasn't sure if I would watch it again. There was a bit of fansub-guilt, and I like it when the anime industry makes a show that's not the same old same old, but I kept hesitating. Earlier this year I noticed there was some sort of cheap set (don't recall if it was a thinpak or litebox) available, then I saw the full-size box set (chipboard box and singles) at a con for $25 and decided to buy it. Now I'm glad I did.

The Familiar of Zero, Rozen Maiden/Rozen Maiden Traumend and When They Cry: Picked up the final "Litebox" releases on these from TRSI on sale and I'm glad I did. All have fully reversible covers and RM and WTC have multiple flaps so no overlapping discs. I wish FUNimation would treat their own shows this well.

To finish up with Geneon (at least for now) I got the singles for Paranoia Agent and Fushigi Yugi from 2 different TRSI sales for $4 per disc.

This is getting long so I'll end with this: With all the excitement on one of the other threads over copies of the old sub-only AnimEigo box set of Macross I was a bit surprised to see people looking for the ADV bilingual version, or at least the later volumes. I got this from a TRSI 25-for-$100 sale when I was (for once) smart and ordered as soon as the sale started instead of waiting for when I got home from work (I work nights). I even got the artbox as vol. 1 + arbox was considered as 1 item, so the whole thing was $28.

http://oldcharlie55.dvdaf.com/owned/watched-anime
http://oldcharlie55.dvdaf.com/owned/unwatched-anime

My collection is split in 2 folders (obviously, one is watched and one is unwatched) so if anyone wants to see all the stuff I have that shows "out of print" they can.
Greggo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
zrdb wrote:
I think I have one of the hardest to find-if not nearly impossible anime dvds ever released-Spirit Of Wonder-Miss China's Ring. I got it 7 years ago for-I belive-$5. It was only out for a short time.

Lucky bastard! I was planning on buying the UK release a few years back but never got round to buying it.

In the meantime, I've managed to find the likes of Volume 3 of the TokyoPop release of the Culdcept manga and Volume 1 of Moe USA on eBay today (and bought them as well)

This is rare? There's one at the Vintage Stock five miles from me. Didn't check the price on it; I owned it on VHS back in the day and enjoyed it but probably wouldn't watch it again.
The Nagabuchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Great article Mike!
It touches on a problem i've been coming across more and more recently as I've been trying to catch up on anime i enjoyed back on VHS at the beginning of the early 90's anime boom as well as classic mecha stuff in general - a lot of it is just impossible to find these days. Moreover, with the lack of interest in either older shows or physical media that I sometimes see in newer fans, i worry that many of these titles will be lost forever after the jump from DVD to either bluray or 100% diginal/online is complete. Some of my favourite japanese tv (non-anime) series already suffered this fate when the world made the jump to DVD so it's definately worrying.

As for some of the titles mentioned here in the feedback (17 pages and still going strong! Great work everyone!) many can be found by looking to other regions or settling for stuff thats raw from Japan. Birdy the Mighty, for example, was recently reissued as a 2000yen budget price collection, as was a Patlabor concert DVD.

As for longer boxsets, I find the UK and my original home country of Australia often have a lot of series that are out of print in the US - Aus in particular (maybe because the crappy internet situation has meant that fans still buy more physical media?). Patlabor tv was just recently license rescused Down Under - a move that kinda surprised me, to be honest.

One thing is certain though - someone needs to license rescue Crusher Joe. Preferable a remaster on Bluray!
jared_thorin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Just scored the complete singles collection of Jojo for 30.00 . I nearly cried. Thank you local comic shops. Thank you.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
jared_thorin wrote:
Just scored the complete singles collection of Jojo for 30.00 . I nearly cried.
I am crying, but mainly because it wasn't me. Seriously though, that's a great find! I'd gladly pay $30 and rebuy (most) of the series just for that vol. 04 disc. LUCKY!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 18