• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hayate the Combat Butler.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:57 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And just recently, I caught up to the most-recently-subbed episode (39)...according to the trivia, the animation QUALITY is supposed to reference Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann's infamously bad episode 4 TV broadcast, but I didn't see the connection. Episode 39 was very Gainax-y (and TTGL wasn't the only object of reference), and I thought the animators went all-out in creating frenetic fights and action scenes. I never saw TTGL, so maybe I'm missing something here?

Yes.

In short, the "problem" with Gurren-Lagann's fourth episode was not quality, per se, but a complete stylistic wtf. The rest of the series had a consistent, if unique, animation and drawing style going while episode 4 was very different. If I have to mark out the main difference, it's that the characters' faces and bodies constantly super-deform themselves to express their emotions...so much so that's it's rather comical -- and the drawing style is also slightly, though noticeably, different; for one, all the characters' eyelashes are paid extra, and very curious, attention which creates quite a lol-worthy feminine impression of baddest heroes in recent anime history.

There's also differences in the way the characters move ("animated"), but I'm afraid I don't have the jargon to express what I see.

...really you have to see it to know what I mean.

Hayate ep 39's animation style is closer to this little diversion from Gainax than the rest of the series (notice the same constantly changing, emotive faces), though close enough in general otherwise.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:53 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
not surprisingly, HtCB was reference heaven for me, even when I didn't immediately understand them and had to check ANN's Trivia (a section which rivals Lucky Star's trivia section now). It's strange, I've always been the kind of person who does laugh at a joke if it's explained to me.

Aye, reference heaven it truly is. Unfortunately, the show does suffer a bit from repetitiveness and a lack of an overarching plot. Still, it's been a staple of my anime viewing for the past eight months. And unless the fourth cour becomes pure fail, I'm going to keep on watching it to the end.

I also laugh at jokes that are explained to me... Which is why I derive a lot of humor from reference-heavy shows even if half of the references simply go over my head (though my 'reference-get' rate in Hayate is loads better than in other shows).
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
The Gurren Lagann ep (which looks awesome) and the other butler show (which I give props for mentioning Hayate indirectly a few times) have motivated me to catch up with this show.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
and the other butler show (which I give props for mentioning Hayate indirectly a few times) have motivated me to catch up with this show.

Meh, the "other butler show" is pure fail for me really. Doesn't like the main lead, hate his voice and attitude, and everybody else feels cookie-cutter "lol, fanservice."

Though I do love your new avatar! Wink
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
Indeed, the new butler show.

I wonder, are butlers now becoming more popular in Japan or something? Is this new? Old?
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
How can anyone hate on Tomokazu Seki's voice :(
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

I wonder, are butlers now becoming more popular in Japan or something? Is this new? Old?

New butler show? What's it called?
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
It's called They Are My Noble Masters (Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de), episode 2 aired within the last 24 hours. I liked it, had 2 blatant references to Hayate in it with the background during the scene before the OP. Also Shizuka Itou's character Shinra (main female character op by the looks of it) mentions in the next ep preview how the main character transfers into her school where she is the student council president before another character corrects her by saying "that's the other Butler anime". Shizuka Itou is of course Hinagiku in Hayate.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I thought HtCB started to get a little dull around episode 20, like it was running out of jokes. Fortunately, the butler tournament around 26 or so proved me wrong and the most recent couple of episodes have been great. Also, Hayate in drag looks more girly than most of the females in the series.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I thought HtCB started to get a little dull around episode 20, like it was running out of jokes. Fortunately, the butler tournament around 26 or so proved me wrong and the most recent couple of episodes have been great. Also, Hayate in drag looks more girly than most of the females in the series.

The butler battle part was soul destroying...I stopped watching.

But...look for anything by B-Crews (if hentai is ok with you that is). Until I realised it was HtCB I thought he was a futa as opposed to a guy.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
How can anyone hate on Tomokazu Seki's voice Sad

I don't see how it happens myself; I think it's the character design, attitude (there's hot-blooded shonen Kamina-sama and there's, well, this idiocy), and downright appalling low production quality that did it for me. The voice just felt weird on top of it all.

...and according to wiki the voice actor did a lot of great roles too, I do remember how much I loved Chiaki and he felt natural then...

Strange.

But I digress, and this is the Hayate thread, so it's OT anyway.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I thought Hayate was great through the Butler Tournament and was spotty for the following 10 episodes. The mystery episode was great but the rest were mediocre. But episode 37 restored my love for the series and 39 was epic, the best episode in the series save maybe the 4th wall shattering episode 10.

hentai4me wrote:

It's new and it's called "cashing in." It's also painfully cheap. I'm going to give it another episode or two, but I probably won't finish it.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
I lost interest really past episode 26 or so, show has really gone downhill almost as much as Shana II did in my opinion. Maybe if it picks back up I'll try to find out where is a good place to skip up to and start watching it again or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
It has picked up, in a huge way. Just skip to episode 37.

I didn't think Shana II was that bad, I was only annoyed at the episodes where Shana and Yoshida just moped around feeling sorry for themselves, but its definitely picked up now. You can probably skip to episode 10 and be fine, but you need to watch after that.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote
I've pretty much liked Hayate it's entire run so far. The last episode(40) had me laughing at the spoiler[knight rider reference. Seeing Hayate power up to SSJ to race "Chitt" was good.]

It always makes sure to poke fun at itself and that keeps me laughing much like Kyon in Haruhi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5