• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Daily Cosplay - Fullmetal Alchemist's King Bradley

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote
Quite nice.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
reanimator wrote:
It looks like poorly prosthetic/mask to me. Like other people's comments, his makeup looks odd because the cosplayer never bothered to look at a real aged face. Wrinkles and sagging skins look out of place and over-exaggerated. If he actually studied actual face of an aged person instead of a stylized cartoon character, his face would be more convincing.

His not trying to look like an actual aged person his trying to look like King Bradley.

I guess I haven't said my point clearly. Since his costumes and hair already show him as King Bradley, so why have shoddy makeup work to ruin the overall image?

Since the cosplayer is a real person, not a drawing, doesn't it make more sense to look more three dimensional?

He would still look fine without that makeup. It's just that his makeup sticks out like a sore thumb.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
reanimator wrote:
It looks like poorly prosthetic/mask to me. Like other people's comments, his makeup looks odd because the cosplayer never bothered to look at a real aged face. Wrinkles and sagging skins look out of place and over-exaggerated. If he actually studied actual face of an aged person instead of a stylized cartoon character, his face would be more convincing.

His not trying to look like an actual aged person his trying to look like King Bradley.

I guess I haven't said my point clearly. Since his costumes and hair already show him as King Bradley, so why have shoddy makeup work to ruin the overall image?

Since the cosplayer is a real person, not a drawing, doesn't it make more sense to look more three dimensional?

He would still look fine without that makeup. It's just that his makeup sticks out like a sore thumb.

It's his makeup that sets him apart from other King Bradley cosplayers that just wear white shirts, blue pants, and an eye-patch. The makeup is an added layer of authenticity to how the 2D character looks(pretty important when cosplaying) and not how some undetermined aged person would or should look.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
This is flippin' amazing. If King Bradley were real, he'd so look like that. I'd crap myself if I saw that in real life. Awesome.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
What old guy? He hangs out in a sandwich shop? That's the only kind of subway we have here. Aloha.

Very Happy

The artist is Alexa Meade, who specializes in painting onto people to make them look like oil paintings come to life. Check it out.

This cosplayer only did it with his face. It would've been really cool if he painted his entire body, but hey, it'll still draw attention to himself.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
There's a better view of his face in this pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfmine79/6056167154/in/photostream
the prostetic doesn't stand out when you look staight at him.

I'd like to see him as Bradley when he first fights Greed in Brotherhood, with the six swords and all, that's be sweet.
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
That is some awesome make-up work there! Props to whoever did it.

And props to the cosplayer; he did an amazing job!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2