• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toon Disney Licenses 5th Digimon Series for Fall 2007

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riyousha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Well it's about time Digimon Savers came to the US. I didn't bother watching some subs anyways. I can't wait in Fall to tune in for that show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
LxTrix wrote:
Gage wrote:
Unfortunately, I lost interest in the Digmion series back when the third season began. Even though it may sound weird, I might try to catch this series at the BEGINNING rather than the middle of the first Season.

Hopefully this will be the last in the series - I'm starting to be reminded of the whole Mario Party series, just keeps going and going and going.... I mean, people want something different; just hope there may be a nice plot twist to this series. Something fresh!

Suggestions?

Why can't you people be happy for good news? Any true Digimon fan is happy. I liked seasons 1-3. 4 sucked, even though i watched some of it. For what six years, the US has had no new Digimon. If you want to complain about something, complain about pokemon. I must admit i like the little Jetix block of programing. It works nicely. Reminds me of what Fox Kids used to be. Kids used to get up early on Saturday mornings just to watch their favorites. I'm glad there may be a new generation of kids who will get to experience Digimon.

\Toei has this thing where they favor certainn projects and Disney isn't all too great about releasing dvds for tv series. We can only hope though. I remember when thousands of digimon fans signed an online petition to get Digimon back and look they got it. I'd love to own the first three seasons. I watched some of Digimon Savers and it did Digimon justice and who knowxs maybe it will make people forget about the shame of kids turning into digimon season 4 brought.

I'm not a true Digimon fan because I'm not necessarily happy for this news? I disagree, I wouldn't miss a SINGLE episode back when it was on Fox Kids (Now 4kids TV, bleck) and I still watch reruns on Toon Disney. I'm fine watching reruns and from what I've seen of Savers, it seems...so bland. Perhaps my interest is waning, but I still remeber Digimon fondly. And just because it's new doesn't mean it's better. Look at the Simpsons, for example.
wookiee2099

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
LxTrix wrote:
Disney isn't all too great about releasing dvds for tv series. We can only hope though.

Very true about Disney. Look how long it took them to release their own cartoons (like Gummi Bears and Duck Tales) to DVD. And don't get me started on how they abandoned my all-time favorite Gargoyles. They only released half of Season 2 to DVD and then said they weren't going to release the rest of the series! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I own the only two Digimon DVDs released (Season 1 eps 1-13 and the Digimon Movie). I'd buy any new DVD releases in a heartbeat.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I read this report on another site, and from the way it sounds it looks to me like Toei Animation is producing it themselves while Disney has the broadcast rights, kind of like "Bobobo" on Cartoon Network.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
I read this report on another site, and from the way it sounds it looks to me like Toei Animation is producing it themselves while Disney has the broadcast rights, kind of like "Bobobo" on Cartoon Network.

So we can expect the names, OP sequences, and original BGM to be left intact? That'll be neat!
Eruanna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
firecrouch wrote:

So we can expect the names, OP sequences, and original BGM to be left intact? That'll be neat!

I doubt it, seeing as they have already announced that the title is being changed from Digimon Savers to Digimon Data Squad.
Also their website lists Toumas name as Thomas (predictably).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CanSomebodySayMedic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:20 pm Reply with quote
LxTrix wrote:
Gage wrote:
Unfortunately, I lost interest in the Digmion series back when the third season began. Even though it may sound weird, I might try to catch this series at the BEGINNING rather than the middle of the first Season.

Hopefully this will be the last in the series - I'm starting to be reminded of the whole Mario Party series, just keeps going and going and going.... I mean, people want something different; just hope there may be a nice plot twist to this series. Something fresh!

Suggestions?

Why can't you people be happy for good news? Any true Digimon fan is happy. I liked seasons 1-3. 4 sucked, even though i watched some of it. For what six years, the US has had no new Digimon. If you want to complain about something, complain about pokemon. I must admit i like the little Jetix block of programing. It works nicely. Reminds me of what Fox Kids used to be. Kids used to get up early on Saturday mornings just to watch their favorites. I'm glad there may be a new generation of kids who will get to experience Digimon.

\Toei has this thing where they favor certainn projects and Disney isn't all too great about releasing dvds for tv series. We can only hope though. I remember when thousands of digimon fans signed an online petition to get Digimon back and look they got it. I'd love to own the first three seasons. I watched some of Digimon Savers and it did Digimon justice and who knowxs maybe it will make people forget about the shame of kids turning into digimon season 4 brought.

Tell it to the fans of FOXKids Anime Class of 2002...
Its true we did not see any word about Digimon: Digital Monsters since "Season 4" back in 2005 (expect some movies being realesed from time to time without notice) but with this news, they're might be some fire left in this series in the states after all, im not talking Mon Colie Knights big here, im talking Haruhi big, with a mix of Fruits Basket...
Plus with the One Piece productuion going on over at Toei, they might be too occupied with editing and stuff...
P.S. yep, disney is not too good when realsing DVDs, for example, they've yet to even release a DVD with the entire series of Darkwing Duck or Pepper Ann all in one box set... but instead, they gave us Hannah Montanna and High School Musical, plus, don't forget they're publicity issues with its stars...
And FYI: Saban (the FOXKids Anime roster) became part of JETIX Animation Concepts (all other JETIX shows except half of Oban-Star Racers) after they threw in the towel in 2004, S.I.P. animation productions (W.I.T.C.H. and A.T.O.M.), Rangers productions (Power Rangers series), and sensation animation llc. (Digimon Season 4) are also part of the JETIX:AC roster.
BTW: i've heard that in this show we might see some kawaii in it... (some user posted a pic from the show on the The Anime Network boards, and its one of the main cast members...)

--The FZ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Crawly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Gage wrote:
Why can't you people be happy for good news? Any true Digimon fan is happy.
<snip>
Toei has this thing where they favor certainn projects and Disney isn't all too great about releasing dvds for tv series.

I'm a Digimon fan and I can tell you I don't see any good news in this report, and you brought up just two of the reasons why. True Digimon fans will be happy when the series gets an unedited, properly translated release on dvd. Right now, we're being left ignored by legitimate venues. Then you have Toei's apparent involvement. They've done nothing good on their own in R1. On the contrary, everything they've meddled in has turned to crap. So having them involved in the dubbing and editing process certainly isn't a good thing. A dvd release of an original language, unedited Digimon is pretty much dead unless another company licenses the dvd rights, which I can't see Disney passing on. They have them, and will hold them until they see how profitable they can make the series. And with Toei's involvement in the project, we might well get another Air Master/Slam Dunk/Bobo disaster if dvds do come out. Nah, nothing good here if you're a fan of Digimon. Not yet, anyway...
The Lolicon Artist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quote
5th series as in 5th season? I haven't seened Digimon in years. As we all know, the first season had a sequel, but then the third season came along and it was a spin-off, followed by another spin-off. Ever since the second season (or series) ended, i lost interest in Digimon. I remember when the 3rd season aired on public television in L.A. it was called Digimon Season 3 (the spin-off i'm speaking about). After that ended, they moved Digimon to another channel and i noticed a whole new spin-off. I can;t recall what it was based on but yeah i lost interest after the 2nd season.

If no one can remember what the second season was like, the main digimon was V-Mon (sp?) and i think Davis was the name of the character who had this Digimon.

Man that was back in 2001.........6 years ago so it's all a blur to me now.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
CanSomebodySayMedic wrote:
Its true we did not see any word about Digimon: Digital Monsters since "Season 4" back in 2005 (expect some movies being realesed from time to time without notice) but with this news, they're might be some fire left in this series in the states after all, im not talking Mon Colie Knights big here, im talking Haruhi big, with a mix of Fruits Basket...
Plus with the One Piece productuion going on over at Toei, they might be too occupied with editing and stuff...
P.S. yep, disney is not too good when realsing DVDs, for example, they've yet to even release a DVD with the entire series of Darkwing Duck or Pepper Ann all in one box set... but instead, they gave us Hannah Montanna and High School Musical, plus, don't forget they're publicity issues with its stars...
And FYI: Saban (the FOXKids Anime roster) became part of JETIX Animation Concepts (all other JETIX shows except half of Oban-Star Racers) after they threw in the towel in 2004, S.I.P. animation productions (W.I.T.C.H. and A.T.O.M.), Rangers productions (Power Rangers series), and sensation animation llc. (Digimon Season 4) are also part of the JETIX:AC roster.
BTW: i've heard that in this show we might see some kawaii in it... (some user posted a pic from the show on the The Anime Network boards, and its one of the main cast members...)

--The FZ

You're mistaken. One Piece is not being dubbed by Toei. One Piece is being done by FUNimation in Fort Worth.
CanSomebodySayMedic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
CanSomebodySayMedic wrote:

--The FZ

You're mistaken. One Piece is not being dubbed by Toei. One Piece is being done by FUNimation in Fort Worth.

I said "production" not dubbing...
i know FUNi is doing dubbing, but the actual animation production is going on over at Toei.

--The FZ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Gage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
LxTrix wrote:
Gage wrote:

Suggestions?

Well, I'm not overly disappointed... I was only saying that airing the same old thing for years can be boring. I might also add that I let on I was interested to watch it once it airs.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
According to this, Masaru's name is being changed to "Marcus" for the dub.
LxTrix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Well the things you complain about are the same things any anime fan complains about when a series gets liscensed here in the US, no surprise. We'll get different outcomes for the show depending on who does the dubbbing, editing, and what not. Like i said we can only hope for the best. I'm interested tto see what happens. Its not like they will kill Digimon because to me its been dead since the last new episode, so really all they can do is give it new life. Who knows it mightf ail, but oh well i'm willing to take the chance and so are they. Those who aren't interested, move along.
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Gage wrote:
Well, I'm not overly disappointed... I was only saying that airing the same old thing for years can be boring. I might also add that I let on I was interested to watch it once it airs.
You mean besides DBZ, Sailor Moon, Naruto,Yu Yu Hakusho, Inuyasha, and Bleach? Where have you been these past few years? Everyone knows excessively long anime shows almost always perform better on American TV than shorter anime shows.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2