• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Central 2007 - Funimation Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
It (dropping Kodocha half way through) was sort of talked about a VERY long time ago... then, what happened was that when it came out again recently, people realized that FUNi wasn't screwing around; they're really dropping the show.

I think that's really lame though; they should take one for the team here... but I don't really have the right to say that... I don't put up the hundreds of thousands of dollars needed to produce these things after all.

But then, yeah... I guess Kodocha really wasn't popular enough to warrant finishing all of it; it's kinda sad considering that Daichi's other work, Fruits Basket, was really well-recevied...

But yes... that's how the ball rolls, I guess.
haruhifan1200

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
It (dropping Kodocha half way through) was sort of talked about a VERY long time ago... then, what happened was that when it came out again recently, people realized that FUNi wasn't screwing around; they're really dropping the show.

So other than a long time ago, they haven't said for sure yet?
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Actually, it was confirmed by one of the FUNi reps over at animeondvd.com recently...

(from what I hear... but all things considering, there's no point in lying about this, so I just take their word)

Yeah... I guess that's that.
haruhifan1200

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Actually, it was confirmed by one of the FUNi reps over at animeondvd.com recently...

(from what I hear... but all things considering, there's no point in lying about this, so I just take their word)

Yeah... I guess that's that.

*dies*
I love Kodocha...and the dub was very well done.
Sigh...I'll live. Confused Sad
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
haruhifan1200 wrote:
DKL wrote:
You know... it just occured to me:

Did anyone bother asking about what the hell's gonna happen to Kodocha?

Is FUNi really gonna ditch the show?

Yeah... I think they are...

Wow, that's lame.

Wait...why would they ditch Kodocha? Did they hint at it or something?

Well, volume 13 is called "That's a Wrap" and there was no word on any volumes beyond that, the first box set came out much more quickly than expected, some people (such as my self) suspected it wasn't selling well for various reasons including the early boxset, and thus speculation began. Then the Funi Reps basically confirmed that the second half wasn't coming out.

They claimed they only ever had the first half, but I (and others) seem to recall them acting like they had the whole thing when it first started coming out. I believe they mentioned they were releasing it in 4 Babbit boxes, for example.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of picture issues, does this mean that Slayers won't be using the Japanese masters?

DKL: I doubt FUNimation will totally get rid of Kodocha, since they obviously started that FUNiGirls division for a reason. I'm assuming they might end up releasing it in boxsets like Case Closed. Of course, maybe Rightstuf would get the second half like they did with Gals...
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Concerning the previous two posts about DBZ: have you guys actually looked at these new boxed sets?

Sure have, and they are without a doubt one of the worst releases of DBZ ever.

Quote:
They are the series done the correct way, without any of the previous edits and with the subtitled Japanese language track, and Season 2 will even be in widescreen format (not sure if vol. 1 was). This is supposedly going to allow details present at the edges of the screen that have never previously been available - not even in the original Japanese TV broadcasts. And that's in addition to the improved sound and visual quality. If FUNimation is supposed to be doing something else to make this "right," I'd like to know what it is.

It is not actually presented the 'right' way. What happened was they got original film for a show that is meant to be in 4:3. They removed 20% of the footage, allowing maybe a very VERY small ammount of 'new' (IE excess) material to be on the side, all the while removing the original framing for the show. Instead of doing a frame by frame remaster, which they said they were doing, they chucked the new cropped footage in to a DVNR or what not, which is used to remove film grain and artefacts from movies. However, it obviously wasnt calibrated to be done for 2d animation, because it went and burred and remove lines, increase brightness, and present it in a way that had not been seen before, and never honestly should have. The release looks absolutely awful.

As for a subbed release, that fine, but they were doing that before. The entirety of their marketting was a lie (the way it was meant to be seen by what?) as were their technical explinations, and on top of that they cancelled the original release, which was also insanely stupid, fourty episodes before it was done. It is, for all intents and purposes, an edited, badly presented release and I'm disgusted that it's done this well,. FUNimation marketted it to the lowest common denominator, and they scored exceptionally well.

Quote:
And it shouldn't be surprising or sad that this release is selling so well, given that DBZ was the biggest gateway title of the mid-to-late '90s in the States.

The content is not the issue, it's the presentation and the countless lies that people seem to completely forget.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Concerning Kodocha: The FUNi rep was asked about that at the panel. He said that FUNimation did only commit to the first half of the series originally, and that sales would determine whether or not they would pick up the second half. He also said that no final decision had been made on that yet, but that one was expected somewhere around the time that the last volume is released (i.e. early next month). I'd expect an announcement on that, one way or another, at one of next month's major 'cons.

I dearly do hope they pick it up, though. It isn't always my top-priority view when it comes out, but I've enjoyed the series ever since being called on to review it last year. And I really hope it gets the dub treatment and not the sub-only boxed-set deal, because I've always liked the dub. (Laura Bailey is wonderful as Sana.)

Concerning DBZ: Hmmm, there are some bigger issues here than I was aware of. The FUNi rep downplayed the cropping issue, claiming that it only had a significant effect on the intro, but apparently that's not the case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Concerning DBZ: Hmmm, there are some bigger issues here than I was aware of. The FUNi rep downplayed the cropping issue, claiming that it only had a significant effect on the intro, but apparently that's not the case.

See, the thing is that they didn't even do the cropping 'properly'. For example, the DBZ movies are done in 4:3 originally, and then for the theatrical/JP DVD releases, they're cropped to 16:9, with equal ammounts removed from the top and the bottom. However, the films are framed to be this way, as are a plethora of other movies such as the Saint Seiya Ones, Fist of the North Star (old) and such. So the opening would have had to have been animated in such a way that it would lose no importance when being cropped, which it hasn.t

The cropping on FUNimation's part however removes more from the bottom than the top, in order to try and do... something, I dont know. The reason they won't ever admit to cropping it is because if they were to go and publically announce that their flagship title is infact edited, it might create some strife. Though I think the damage is done and honestly, no one cared, which is annoying.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:

Wait, so they're definitely having the first DVD at episode 144, and release the earlier episodes if the sales are good enough? That's too bad.

Hey there. I'm the brand manager for One Piece. We're still looking at our release schedule and frequency. Still, no news yet on starting at Episode 1 or 144. Still waiting on all parties to agree on the release method and timing from receiving materials, dubbing, post production, replication. Lots of stuff. We know a lot of people that want to start at episode 1 and this takes time and a lot of deciding factors.

We'll have more news on this at Anime Expo.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
firecrouch wrote:

Wait, so they're definitely having the first DVD at episode 144, and release the earlier episodes if the sales are good enough? That's too bad.

Hey there. I'm the brand manager for One Piece. We're still looking at our release schedule and frequency. Still, no news yet on starting at Episode 1 or 144. Still waiting on all parties to agree on the release method and timing from receiving materials, dubbing, post production, replication. Lots of stuff. We know a lot of people that want to start at episode 1 and this takes time and a lot of deciding factors.

We'll have more news on this at Anime Expo.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy

Lance, you tease you! Wink Laughing

Thanks for the information!

Hopefully you'll get with the xxxholic brand manager, and both of you will have very nice announcements at Anime Expo.

I promise that I'll be at that panel, even if I have to trample 200 cosplayers to get there in time!
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
Steven: Methinks they'll use the money made off the DBZ sets to dick fans over with "fixed" editions you can trade them in like Illumitoon just did with their stuff.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Steven: Methinks they'll use the money made off the DBZ sets to dick fans over with "fixed" editions you can trade them in like Illumitoon just did with their stuff.

They won't, because they've already made it perfectly clear they don't give a crap. besides which, the first set is the most popular Anime set ever sold (IE it's sold a lot), and well what's the point in appeasing the few people with standards when basically everyone is else gung ho about it?

Besides which they already invested tons of money in to a shoddy, haphazzard demaster of the series, what'd be the point in putting out a Dragonbox version which would cost way more anyway?

Besides which, I'm still disgruntled because they could have saved themselves the mil-2mil they spent remastering it by simply putting the older 4:3 video they had on to six discs and releasing it and it would have sold just as well, if not better, than it has now. Honestly, who would complain that DBZ TV WASNT Widescreen?

All in all, on top of Kodocha's release being dicked about (sorry, I dont spend $25 on a volume by volume release to have those same first six discs in a $60 a few months later. it's an insult ffs. ), I'm sorely tempted to just not buy anything from FUNimation, including One Piece, which I've been wanting to get uncut for ages. Too bad, so sad.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
Well, if there's still money to be made off of "Dragonball Z", I don't see why they wouldn't release a non-"remastered" version down the line. I wasn't going to buy these sets anyway until I could buy all the pre-Z "Dragonball" episodes, and if they get re-released the same way as were seeing now with "DBZ" I'll seriously reconsider it.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:05 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:

Thanks for the official update. I remember when Babylon 5 was first released on Laser Disc they were faced with a similar problem and decided to release season one and season five at the same time. After they finished those seasons they began releasing seasons two and four. These were the final Laser Discs that I ever bought and Warner decided to stop production of LDs. This resulted in my owning season one, the first half of season two, six episodes of season four and season five on disc. Even though the series is now released on DVD there was also some cropping issues with the DVD release since all of the special effects were rendered full frame. Some of the 16:9 shots also seem poorly framed since the were initially designed to be presented at 4:3.

I do think that the dual track method is a decent one. Otherwise it will take a really long time to see the first episodes on DVD, especially for those of us who don't watch broadcast television.

Cropping is very bad. My Oppo has a mediocre zoom feature that will fill my entire screen with the image, yet keep unzoomed subtitles, but will not be able to create what is not there if I zoom out. My video processor will likewise scale an image to any size very clearly as well as do a nonlinear stretch to fill the screen. The non-linear stretch (panorama mode) keeps the center part of the 4:3 image undistorted but stretches the far left and right parts to fill the screen giving it a neat effect. This can be used in tandem with overscan so as not to be overly noticeable. I normally apply a bit of overscan (about 5-10%) and don't mind the bars on either side when watching 4:3 content. Most televisions naturally overscan about 5%, and I need to use my processor to underscan around 5% to get my windows toolbar to appear on my television.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3