• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Strange text as a graphic element.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I am watching Sailor Moon R --- embarrassingly enough, for the first time. And I'm struck by the page of text used as a background graphic in the credit sequence. I'm sure this is all well-known to each and every Sailor Moon fan, but my Google Book search of some of the snippets that are legible (such as "For Linda and me the coast is a cultural shock") showed that the text comes from a 1977 copy of National Geographic.

It made me wonder whether anyone else remembered examples of text popping up in their anime whose source was identifiable and equally random. Very Happy
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
In the show Paniponi Dash! there is a ton of random stuff on the chalkboard in the classroom. It changes quite frequently, and has a ton of pop culture & anime references.

In the older ADV release (not on the Funimation SAVE version) there is a "Pop Up Video" type subtitle track that tells you stuff about the messages on the chalkboard. It is pretty hard to follow (unless you pause) since it's rather rapid fire.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
It made me wonder whether anyone else remembered examples of text popping up in their anime whose source was identifiable and equally random. Very Happy

Although I won't cite specific examples, this is actually a very common phenomenon in anime; any time you see text on screen that's meant more as a background element than something to actually be read, there's a good chance that it was borrowed from some random source. In my experience, excerpts from technical manuals seem to be most commonly-used for this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I've never looked closely but I think the background in the end credits for Tiger and Bunny is at least partially accurate to the characters. I tend to skip them but one of the last shots before the post-credits bit or next episode preview is of Dragon Kid and at one point I spied something like "a gift from her parents" in the text and realized someone put some thought into what was said there.

I usually get more of a kick out of Engrish used in episodes. Such as the "Rord of the Rings" book that a couple characters are seen reading a few times during the early episodes of Saki.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Another example of the book thing is Larry Botter (or something like that) from Strawberry Marshmallow.

Another example of the stuff the TC is looking for is in Super Atragon when they show the technical readouts of the Ra.

They also do this in Full Metal Panic as well. Especially during the "Whispered" stuff.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
EricDent wrote:
In the show Paniponi Dash! there is a ton of random stuff on the chalkboard in the classroom. It changes quite frequently, and has a ton of pop culture & anime references.

And Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Negima!? as well.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
I've actually always wondered why that was. In Super Dimension Fortress Macross, there are excerpts from a very old text-based Star Trek game that was popular with MS-DOS based computers, but actually predates the MS-DOS operating system. There was also what appeared to be data from real-world international weather radio beacons. Both of these fit the high-brow technical manual bit quite nicely.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I've seen random text a fair few times - commonly text files that come with whatever software they are using (there was a lot of this in Gasaraki for example. A lot). On a re-watch of Kiddy Grade I paused on a screen of text and was surprised to discover it was about weapons inspections in Iraq and someone on Twitter identified text in Kiddy GiRL-and as being from Lightwave.

OTOH, the French text that appears in the opening for Nijuu Mensou is actually relevant to the story.

Paniponi Dash is different - all that text is put there on purpose and does have meaning, albeit often being rather obscure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
One of the real memorable examples for me that came from a technical manual was in Mobile Suit Gundam Wing. Text on several computer consoles came from content on how to program driver files for TWAIN compatible computer printers. I recognized it really well because I had actually seen the text before, in its original context as a computer handbook. I wonder why, though, that anime directors choose such content to work with.

The Big O's opening sequence included newspaper clippings from both English and German language papers as well. That was rather unique.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
I wonder why, though, that anime directors choose such content to work with.

If the text is a digital element then it is simple - they need a block of ascii text and rather pay someone to write it when it isn't meant to be read anyway, they grab a handy text file present on the PCs they are using.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
They don't have to pay some kind of license fee for doing that?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Possibly. I don't know where copyright law stands on excerpts from manuals.

I do remember hearing a tale of a guy who was watching a film and suddenly said "hey, that's my code!" - it was something like the OS code for an 8-bit computer, and as the tale went the movie people got the rights to it cheap or something. Of course, if I try to track it down online I just get stuff about some film called "Source Code".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1