• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Friends with a character?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
I remember reading that a certain website held a poll that asked not for anime characters that fans were attracted to, but rather ones that they would like to have as friends. I remember reading that Jimmy Kudo ranked third, from Detective Conan/Case Closed. I thought it would be rather interesting to ask the fandom here how they would feel about which characters would make fine friends. While I suppose it may not be sporting to say how I feel initially, I thought that Rukia Kuchiki of Bleach fame might not be a bad person if she were real. In a series as insane as that one, she's really a voice of reason that also has her own eccentricities that would make knowing her a lot of fun.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote
Good question, especially for me, who treat characters as a plot devices, not real humans. Main problem would be the fact, that characters I find interesting have usually so different norms and moral standards from mine, that it would be hardly to find a common ground for us. It's interesting to read about them, but talk to anyone?
Black Jack? Our chat about medicine would remind play of chess world champion vs. totally newbie. Besides he is totally asocial and his views for patients are strongly outdated.
Lady Oscar? On first chat I would present her long list of advices that were obvious for person raised in democratic society, but not for XVII century royal guard. Any other Ikeda's character should go to psychiatrist, not to talk with me.
Maya from Glass Mask? We have similar life philosophy, but completely different way of life.
Anyone form Vinland Saga? I would wait for them with tea and strong bodyguard.
Speaking about bodyguard- Future Trunks form Dragon Ball Z. Handsome, responsible, and could learn me how to fly! Nobody dare to touch him!
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I thought about it and the first character that came to mind for me was Kamiyama from Cromartie High School. He seems like a pretty optimistic and chill guy overall--the situation he's in is strange, to say the least, but he does his best to take everything in stride. He seems like a genuinely nice dude.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ethanftw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Good question, especially for me, who treat characters as a plot devices, not real humans. Main problem would be the fact, that characters I find interesting have usually so different norms and moral standards from mine, that it would be hardly to find a common ground for us. It's interesting to read about them, but talk to anyone?
Black Jack? Our chat about medicine would remind play of chess world champion vs. totally newbie. Besides he is totally asocial and his views for patients are strongly outdated.
Lady Oscar? On first chat I would present her long list of advices that were obvious for person raised in democratic society, but not for XVII century royal guard. Any other Ikeda's character should go to psychiatrist, not to talk with me.
Maya from Glass Mask? We have similar life philosophy, but completely different way of life.
Anyone form Vinland Saga? I would wait for them with tea and strong bodyguard.
Speaking about bodyguard- Future Trunks form Dragon Ball Z. Handsome, responsible, and could learn me how to fly! Nobody dare to touch him!

Future Trunks would be awesome for all the reasons you just mentioned. On a side note, as a child it would be awesome to be friends with kid Goku, you would get into all sorts of insane adventures!
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
It would probably be easier to come up with characters with whom I would NOT like to have anything to do with. Most of characters I enjoy watching are not the type I would ever want to hang out with.

I don't know, maybe someone like Erin from Beast Player Erin (Edit, I forgot Erin does not like to spend a lot of time around people)? Or Keiko from Skip Beat!, that would have been a blast.

I actually thought it would be an easy question to answer, and yet no.
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
I guess I take characters more as real humans, but in saying so, I hope I don't sound like I blur the line between realism and fantasy. I simply mean I tend to try and sympathize with those portrayals on screen rather than simply consider them plot devices. In a way, though, that makes the question that much more difficult to answer since it makes the faults of the characters that much more obvious. I was thinking that Kazu from Air Gear might be an interesting friend that could really bring the excitement out of the most quiet person, but I'm sure I picked him because he's about the least insane from that show.
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I watch an anime, I like to think of some characters as real people (Especially characters from neon genesis evangelion because that show has some awesome characters). Heres a list of characters I would like to be friends with: Shinji Ikari (When he`s not being mopey), Asuka Langley (When she`s not being b*cthy), Misato katsuragi and Kaji Ryouji from neon genesis evangelion.
Choji akimichi from naruto.
L from death note.
Edward Elric, Maes Hueghs and Roy Mustang from full metal alchemist.
Brock from pokémon.
Yusuke Urameshi, Kazuma Kuwabara and Kurama from yu yu hakusho.
Ichigo Kurosaki and Orihime Inoue from bleach.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:23 am Reply with quote
I was thinking the other day of the iconic and, to some degree, likeable characters in anime and I feel that the two kind of would go hand and hand. I would have to say that I would love to be friends with the child detective Conan Edogawa from Detective Conan. A clever and thoughtful kid with a sense of adventure, and it seems like he can take a step without stumbling on some amazing murder to solve. I might also want to be friends with Lupin from Lupin the 3rd. Cool, collected, smooth, goofy, and one hell of a ladies man he might be the most interesting friend any of us could have. Not to mention he was the prototype to the king of anime cool (Spike from Cowboy Bebop)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Ah, as I had said Conan Edogawa scored very well in the real poll that I had based this off of and I figured he would score quite positively in this version. I figure you would have to be quite adventurous to want to be a friend with a character from Evangelion, however. They are certainly quirky, and considering the circumstances, I'm not sure that I myself could handle it!
4750G

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
There are four types of anime characters that I'd like to be friends with.

First is the richest character. In every group, there's always that person who is surprisingly very healthy and can afford everything, and I mean everything. If I were to choose, I'd befriend the whole cast of Ouran High School Host Club, the best example I can think of.

Second is the smartest. Well, there's always merit with befriending someone smart, especially for a student like me. Plus they spout out interesting trivia from time to time so there's that. Conan is the smartest kid I know, and I like his cool character and the fact that he's willing to do everything to protect Ran.

Third is the outlaw. They're enemies of the government, they are always on the run, and they have dangerous and deathly moves. That's all kinds of cool on its own. Plus they always have with them a new adventure, which means it's never boring. Of all the outlaws I know, Spike is definitely the coolest.

Last is the talented character. This character is always cool, or cold, however you want to see it, and excels extremely in the field of his choice. Or a jack of all trades, if he's so good. For this one, I'll have to go with Takishima Kei of Special A. I know Hikari's great in her own way, but Takishima does everything effortlessly, and that's what I like.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
At first it seems like knowing the cast of the Ouran High School Host Club might seem creepy, but at least a few of the characters have their hearts in the right places. Tamaki is quite insane, yes, but he doesn't like to see anyone hurt. Mori and Honey are certainly innocuous. That could be a very interesting relationship to say the least.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
To tell the truth, and this may seem mean, but I like friends I can tease and take it with good cheer. I also greatly appreciate loyalty, so I think a recent character I'd like to befriend is that idiot among idiots, Akihisa Yoshii, from Baka and Test, and I think he'd appreciate a friend that merely pokes a bit of fun at him instead of taking such advantage of him that he routinely gets the crap beaten out of him.

I'm also a big believer in chatting about nothing in particular- so the girls in Azumanga Daioh would make my friends list as well. I've had girl-friends like them before. Chat, be silly, only a modicum of sexual tension. Embarassed

The Guys from Beck also resemble guys I know (struggling musicians who play awesom music no one listens to) so I'd get along with them.

And of course, the Genshiken group, but then, you're already friends with those guys already.

I don't think I'd get along with Conan/Jimmy though. Deservedly or not, the guy's full of himself. He's a guy that would have many admirers and people that respect him, but few real friends. After hearing "baaroo" one too many times from the guy I'm letting the smartass enjoy his own company.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I think almost everyone from Patlabor TV would make quite nice friends. But I'll be specific and say Richard Wong. Unlike many villains, he doesn't take himself too seriously. He'd definitely be amusing company (though you'd need to keep your eye on him).

And for some reason Onsen Mark from UY. The main gang are so grotesque that you have to feel for their teacher. And he seems like an okay bloke.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
4750G wrote:

First is the richest character. In every group, there's always that person who is surprisingly very healthy and can afford everything, and I mean everything. If I were to choose, I'd befriend the whole cast of Ouran High School Host Club, the best example I can think of.

In real life it isn't as nice as you image (unless you are millionaire yourself). Person, whose lifestyle is dramatically different than your own, can be very annoying, even while having the best intentions. I've had situation similar to this and it was very uncomfortable- even while "mine" rich kids weren't spoiled or mean they couldn't image how part of the group just can't afford their ideas for free time. They were minority and it was a short trip, but I can image that surrounded by such a people all the time I would feel like poor cousin.
Or, what would be worse (and I'm afraid- more possible) I would face people like The Group form Hana Yori Dango
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
I'm not really one to make friends, I mostly just have acquaintances. You know people I talk to about random things at work or college but I don't go out of my way to do things with. I'm the type who has a very select group of "real friends", but it's not that I'm anti-social or anything. I am perfectly fine talking to people and being sociable, I just prefer to keep to myself. If I were to put my finger on it, I'd say it's because I'm pretty good at reading people and deciding exactly who I really want to hang around with and that's just not many people.

Some people I could probably get along with would be:

For Guys:
People like me, who share one or more of my interests and have similar personality types. They would be fairly normal and stable personality-wise with a sense of humor, common sense, and a dash of realism or pessimism like Kyon (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) or Kraft Laurence (Spice and Wolf)

For Ladies:
Charlotte Hazelink (Princess Lover). Not goona' lie here. This girl is probably my ideal personality for a woman. Confident, cheerful, kind, playful and sort of childish, but also intelligent. Being gorgeous doesn't hurt either. Wink Of course being a guy I don't have many female friends. If I decide to go after a girl it's probably not a friendship I'm interested in but something more. Apologies if that sounds sexist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2