• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bci110

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I was looking forward to this review. Nice job, Theron! Cool

I agree with everything in the review except for Theron's take on Michelle Ruff's performance as Yuki. I thought she did a pretty good job with the monotones, and while she did struggled a bit in the erlier episodes, I felt that she completely captured the character while performing Yuki's monologue to Kyon at the end of Episode 2/beginning of Episode 3.

As for Wendee Lee's performance as Haruhi, I didn't expect her to completely match or even exceed the same performance level that Aya Hirano displayed. From what I heard, Aya was a tour de force during her run as Haruhi. But I felt that Wendee's performance was pretty good, and I think she did a great job thus far in portraying all of Haruhi's vast array of emotions.

As for the show itself, being one of the alleged few that have never seen this show since it premiere in Japan last year (I'm not a fansub watcher), I don't recall ever having this much fun watching an anime series in my lifetime. The characters were very lively and enthusiastic (the Haruhi/Mikuru scenes and Haruhi's invasion in the Computer Club were the highlights of the volume in my view), and the animation was very fluid and consistent, (typical from Kyoto Animation, really). What I'm most impressed by this series so far is its presentation in having the main male character narrate the story. It definitely gives you a great perspective of what's going on in Haruhi's universe though his eyes, and Crispin Freeman's narration is absolutely perfect. It definitely got me hooked on the story thus far. I'm so hooked on the show that I'm actually watching the DVD every day since I received it (I received it from TRSI this past Tuesday; I pre-ordered the SE version back in February), which is something that I very rarely do.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Well what is this? the reveiw goes up the same day that I watched this release? Pretty timely Razz I'm pretty happy/surprised that I was able to get this one from Netflix so soon, I thought for sure that I wouldn't be seeing it until at least 3-4 weeks later.

Anyways, what to say about this series... well lets just say that my bank account is going to be taking pretty big hits from this one, I am definitely buying this one! I actually immediately mailed it back to Netflix so that I wouldn't over-watch it Embarassed
The 1st aspect of this show that grabbed me was the dialogue style for Kyon's narration in Ep 00. It is fantastic! Stylish, nicely delivered, and had me laughing at many -and I mean many- points. And that great dialogue style stays consistent throughout the rest of the volume. The animation and camera styles for the same episode were also great, and like the reveiw said, the reactions of the cast members of the amateur film were gold!

Oh yeah, another part that made me laugh was when Kyon was describing Haruhi. "Haruhi eccentricity number 1; a different hairstyle everyday..." I actually knew a girl in highschool that was like that Laughing

I've been pretty drawn in by this series, and now I am starting to see what so many others saw in it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Does the special edition dvd have the episodes in the order that they ran on tv in Japan?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Does the special edition dvd have the episodes in the order that they ran on tv in Japan?

Yes the special edition does have the original order...in fact I think that it has both version.
Shale

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Starting with volume 2, the special editions will come with a second disk that has the episodes in broadcast order and subtitled only. Volume 1 is chronological order only.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
It's unusual for me to agree with an ANN review, but this one I (mostly) agree with.

The only thing I would disagree on is Yuki and Mikuru. I liked Michelle Ruff's Yuki but found Stephanie Sheh's Mikuru sounds a bit forced at times. and there's just something about it that doesn't sit right with me. I was surprised about how much I liked Wendee Lee as Haruhi, though I too think it'll take a while to truly get used to it, after having associated Aya Hirano and her legendary performance.

I totally agree about the subtitles. They're sort of weird at times, and way too big. The Japanese cast is a little better than the dub, but I might have to hand it to the dub simply for better translation.

It appears that the reviewer really had to search hard for a negative to put in the overall stats. "Not especially deep." The show is more clever than complex. I think the stories in the later novels are a bit more complex, but nothing's very "deep" as far as Haruhi's concerned. It's not just a moe-fest, but it's not Foundation, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I find it rather odd that people are speaking out in favor of Michelle Ruff's performance here when I'm not, as usually it's the other way around. (I've liked almost everything else she's done, but a lot of people don't seem to care much for her past major roles.) Guess I'll have to give her another listen in this role.

penguintruth wrote:
It appears that the reviewer really had to search hard for a negative to put in the overall stats. "Not especially deep." The show is more clever than complex. I think the stories in the later novels are a bit more complex, but nothing's very "deep" as far as Haruhi's concerned. It's not just a moe-fest, but it's not Foundation, either.

Yeah, the only thing that kept me from giving a full "A" Overall was the soundtrack, which is good for what it does but not a stand-out. I put the "not especially deep" comment in the negatives partly because I was fishing for a second point and partly in response to some things which have been said over in the main series thread in the Anime forum; I don't actually consider its lack of Evangelion-like depth to be a problem. Really, the only true negative is the subtitle issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, the only thing that kept me from giving a full "A" Overall was the soundtrack, which is good for what it does but not a stand-out.

Really! Haruhi's soundtrack ranks as perhaps one of my favorites of all time. I love how composer Satoru Kousaki inserted snippets of a wide compass of genres including Electronic, Jazz, Blues, Latin, Classical, Rock, and of course, the MIDI goodness. Granted, the silly songs get played way more often and those I would agree are only average, but I think the actual gems showed up from time to time in the earlier episodes as well. For example, the theme that played during spoiler[Nagato's "true" introduction], that one I really liked.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote
maichips wrote:
belisarius wrote:
Thoughts on the Special Edition DVD:

Superb art on the box, which seems very well constructed. Fascinating interior design. It is huge however, and if you plan on buying all the SE DVDs, set aside some space, because they're all going to be like this.

I was actually under the impression that all the DVD's will fit in the pretty art box, and they'll just come with a smaller box meant only for containing the DVD, CD, and other extras.

Correct. Only the first LE comes with a true box. The others will come in a cardboard box, but those are only intended to hold the extra stuff that comes with it. The actual DVD cases will go in the box that came with the first LE.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Another oddity came in the fourth broadcast episode, which originally jumped ahead to episode 7. This DVD release does not do this, however, instead opting to release the episodes in chronological rather than the scrambled broadcast order. While it costs the series some of its unique feel, the story does make more immediate sense this way.

Relieved to hear this, I was about to drop the series and label it "overrated" as I was watching the first episode -which I thought as I got to know the characters in later episodes that it would have been a more enjoyable experience if the episode was positioned in its correct chronological order and the same goes for the episode with the spoiler[baseball match] that made me wonder when the hell did Tsuruya become a part of the group.

Love the series and can't wait to get my hand on all those extras!
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Episode 10 is on fourth instead of the REAL episode 4? So, they've botched the LE's broadcast release style already? ALREADY? I find that the LE has already lost its advantage for me, then.

Am I going to pay for the honor of repeated-disc-swapping and/or continuing to just watch the fansubs I still have? Looks that way. I do want to pay in order to support an anime I love.

The LE release is exactly what they said it was from the beginning. I'm not sure what you are so surprised about.
Shale

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Episode 10 is on fourth instead of the REAL episode 4? So, they've botched the LE's broadcast release style already? ALREADY? I find that the LE has already lost its advantage for me, then.

Am I going to pay for the honor of repeated-disc-swapping and/or continuing to just watch the fansubs I still have? Looks that way. I do want to pay in order to support an anime I love.

Or, I can wait and see if they do a "proper" release later and buy that. I'm just a bit worried about buying this set only to be shooting myself in the toes, per se, like the people who bought the older Evangelion sets only for... You get it.

I still wonder why the original company has to make this so hard. :(

Once again: volumes 2, 3 and 4 come with extra discs that feature all the episodes in broadcast order.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Hmm? Oops...

I suppose I am confused and thought this review was for the LE edition then. I apologize. I'm not sure what made me think that, though. Thanks once again.

EDIT: I have trouble spelling today, too.

By the way, if the second, third, and fourth discs feature the episodes in brodcast order, then is there any point to buying the first disc if you don't care about the dub or extras? It seems like an odd strategy to be allowed.

Don't get me wrong: I like the actors they've chosen and am interested in hearing an English Melancholy.

But people still want that awesome box...

Hell, I wanted the awesome box, and I've never really seen the show (actually, I managed to get someone from another board to dive in with the box as well)

And, even if people didn't want the extra crap from the first box, but still wanted the broadcast order...

Who do you think wins in all this?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4