• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otaku Hunting

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:45 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
You can't tell me that deep down you don't kinda wanna rob that guy. Wink

Not particularly, no. But I can see that somebody already took him out to the boys' toilets and gave him a swirly.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hazumu-san

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
It is sad that people who don't conform to what is "normal" get attacked or "punished" just for being different. Unfortunately is seems to be part of the human condition, tolerance seems hard to live by it seems.

I have personally been on the receiving end of some of that type of behavior, and it is not fun. Sad
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Non conformists create identity. If there was no one who broke the mould, didn't conform, whatever then there would be little to compare to and so there would be no 'conformity' as there would be nothing that is non conformist therefore no real definition of what conformity would be. My basic point is that pretty much everything of this nature exists by nature of comparison, not by inherent fact.

Celebrate the non conformists as they allow you to identify yourself.

If people weren't classed and stereotyped in anyway would there be as much of a mesh between people? There has to be a reason that people classify, group, stereotype and assign features to things.
kola

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
Non conformists create identity. If there was no one who broke the mould, didn't conform, whatever then there would be little to compare to and so there would be no 'conformity' as there would be nothing that is non conformist therefore no real definition of what conformity would be. My basic point is that pretty much everything of this nature exists by nature of comparison, not by inherent fact.

If people weren't classed and stereotyped in anyway would there be as much of a mesh between people? There has to be a reason that people classify, group, stereotype and assign features to things.

Yours is a very western view point. The argument made by another poster who explained why otaku 'should be beaten down like nails' would be the Japanese view or at least one of the main views in Japan about being different from the rest of society.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I think this the case of this article was shown in the Densha Otoko DX Special. I don't remember the details, but there was some scene about bothering/stealing from otaku at Akihabara. I think the article's fake, but the general trend is probably true.
MasterRoshiX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
This is no different then racism or bigotry. If I were the police I would put undercover agents posed as otakus to crackdown on these so called otaku hunter gangs or at least beef up the security.
Subaru19

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
kola wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

Yours is a very western view point. The argument made by another poster who explained why otaku 'should be beaten down like nails' would be the Japanese view or at least one of the main views in Japan about being different from the rest of society.

Actually my argument doesn't refute his argument at all. People in Japanese society. and I am making a very broad sweeping generalization here, see otakuism as "wrong behavior." Mainstream society can turn to otaku and say "don't be like them" thereby using the otaku as a way of identifying themselves. (I'm not an otaku).
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
I don't think Akihabara is about to become a crime haven just yet.

Well I`ve been to Akiba for the past three days and I haven`t gotten robbed yet so I figure these are still relatively rare cases.

Random fact I just learned: The abbreviation for Akihabara (Akiba) comes not from Akihabara But rather the ha turns into a ba when the bara is taken out.

Oh, and It`s really hard to type English with a Japanese keyboard.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:29 am Reply with quote
Subaru19 wrote:
kola wrote:
hentai4me wrote:

Actually my argument doesn't refute his argument at all. People in Japanese society. and I am making a very broad sweeping generalization here, see otakuism as "wrong behavior." Mainstream society can turn to otaku and say "don't be like them" thereby using the otaku as a way of identifying themselves. (I'm not an otaku).

Exactly, and if everyone was a conformist there would be no defining features of conformism and it would most likely cease to exist as 'conformism' as there would be nothing to conform to anymore. (it's hard to explain with a keyboard)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
Exactly, and if everyone was a conformist there would be no defining features of conformism and it would most likely cease to exist as 'conformism' as there would be nothing to conform to anymore. (it's hard to explain with a keyboard)

Allow me to try and illustrate:

Stan: Please, you guys, our whole town's reputation is at stake! Will any of you do it?
Goth Kid #1: I'm not doin' it. Being in a dance group is totally conformist.
Goth Kid #2: Yeah. I'm not conforming to some dance-off regulations.
Goth Kid #3: I'm not doin' it either. I'm the biggest nonconformist of all.
Goth Kid #4: I'm such a nonconformist that I'm not going to conform with the rest of you. Okay, I'll do it.
Stan: Great!
Goth Kid #2: Whoa. I think we just got put in our place.

Perhaps this isnt the best example, What you're saying is if there was nobody who didn't conform, there would be no meaning to conforming. However, this makes me laugh plus I think its worth adding to the debate anyway as it illustrates the reverse of what you're saying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2