• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Nieghbor Totoro

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tetsuo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone here watched My Nieghbor Totoro.I've heard nothing but good reports about and was thinking about getting it on import from Japan but im not sure if to or not.I heard disney have the rights to it but hadnt heard any news of them releasing it anytime soon,does anyone have any info on when they will release it?
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I love Totoro!!! From what I hear (and granted, I think this is rumor and not fact, so take it with a grain of salt), Disney is planning on releasing like 3 titles....RUMOR has it those three are: My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service and Laputa....however, Disney has not specifically said which titles (according to the rumor).

I would love for them to come out on DVD here...Totoro and Kiki are definitely awesome shows Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hagakure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Yup, Totoro rocks it.

Totoro is more or less a children's movie, but I picture it having universal appeal. It is a very enjoyable movie with some really cool creatures and awesome animation. You won't regret buying it.
Case

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Tetsuo wrote:

Has anyone here watched My Nieghbor Totoro.I've heard nothing but good reports about and was thinking about getting it on import from Japan but im not sure if to or not.I heard disney have the rights to it but hadnt heard any news of them releasing it anytime soon,does anyone have any info on when they will release it?

I too have seen the film and was quite impressed by it.

The one thing that impressed me the most about the film was the clear trans-generational appeal it seems to have. To me, it seemed quite clear that the film's primary audience was children, what with all of the furry critters and colorful settings and spunky young main characters. However, there is quite a bit of deeper material that would appeal to older kids and adults too. Despite its fanciful premise, the film itself is actually very down to earth and intelligent. It reminds us of the freedom of youth, it illustrates the mysticism that superstition and religion are based on, and it gives creative insight into the "invisible friend" phenomenon that most children experiece at some point in their lives.
Very Happy

It really is a modern fairy tale. Smile

A version of the film has already been released in the United States, but I'm pretty sure that it was only released in dubbed form, and I don't think it has been released on DVD.

As Cassandra has already said, the rumor is that Disney is planning a subbed version of it and a DVD release.

The success of the new Sen To Chihiro No Kamikakushi film (which has received huge honors in Japan and Europe, if you haven't heard) got them interested once again in the Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli licenses they've accumulated over the years, and they are supposed to be releasing a bunch of those films subbed and on DVD in the next three to four years.
Mr. Green
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 10:27 pm Reply with quote
The only good thing about Disney picking up Sen is that if they do release it this year, they have the economic influence to help it get nominated for Best Animated Film for 2003. Other than that, I'll trust Disney to do a good job with Ghibli films as much as I do with their other Asian films. Where the f*ck is Avalon Eisner?!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:48 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

The only good thing about Disney picking up Sen is that if they do release it this year, they have the economic influence to help it get nominated for Best Animated Film for 2003.

I think the one positive thing you can say about releasing the film in September (deader than January from a children's film perspective; the prime reason I think it's going to be limited wide, in the range of 300 to 500 screens at best) is that it does put the film at an advantage over the summer animated films (and spring animated flicks like Ice Age) in the Oscar race; on the odd chance it should actually win Best Animated Picture that would guarantee a larger audience as the Oscars are really the only film Awards the soccer moms that would buy the video for their kids care about. Whether or not Disney will submit it for nomination will probably depend entirely on whether or not they want to push Lilo and Stitch instead, though since there's no Pixar film this year, I'd say the odds for which film Disney will submit is too close to call.

(Okay, I admit I'm really looking forward to Lilo and Stitch, as well as Spirited Away, of course, though in the most recent commercials, it seems they neutered Stitch somewhat, presenting him as mostly harmless and lovable. I thought he was supposed to be an intergalatic criminal or someting. I wouldn't know... since even the most incorrigible Disney-hating fanboy wasn't claiming that Lilo and Stitch was a ripoff of any obscure anime this time, I didn't read the novelization nor the Graphic Novel a month in advance just to prove them wrong.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animeat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:07 pm Reply with quote
If you really want to see a Totoro import, you can get it on Ebay with a box-set of Sudio Ghibli movies, it has 6 DVDs which includes 11 movies, and 1 music video. Some of the titles included are Princess Mononoke, Naussica, Porco Rosso, Grave of the Fireflies, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1542962910

here's a link to one now that's up for bid, closes soon though
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:33 pm Reply with quote
animeat wrote:

If you really want to see a Totoro import, you can get it on Ebay with a box-set of Sudio Ghibli movies, it has 6 DVDs which includes 11 movies, and 1 music video. Some of the titles included are Princess Mononoke, Naussica, Porco Rosso, Grave of the Fireflies, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1542962910

here's a link to one now that's up for bid, closes soon though

*cough* bootleg *cough*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi:

"on the odd chance it should actually win Best Animated Picture"

I'll be happy if it gets nominated, because they show clips of all the nominees, and that alone is enough good press for anime.

"Whether or not Disney will submit it for nomination will probably depend entirely on whether or not they want to push Lilo and Stitch instead, though since there's no Pixar film this year, I'd say the odds for which film Disney will submit is too close to call."

I have a feeling Disney would want to put out as many of their films as possible, so they can hedge their bets. The only reason they didn't include Atlantis was because of how it bombed compared to Monsters, Inc. But if they give Spirited Away enough good PR, it could do quite well among the Princess Mononoke fans.

"Okay, I admit I'm really looking forward to Lilo and Stitch,"

I'm not. It just shows Disney's running ideas by introducing the same characters that made them successful. Sure, they "make fun" of those characters, but it's really just PR for kids to buy more dvd's and merchandise for those older films. That and when they premiered Lilo and Stitch in my area(Hollywood), the whole area was blocked for three days. I have no love for Herr Eisner.
animeat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:

*cough* bootleg *cough*
[/quote]

what's wrong with bootlegs? I'd rather watch a subtitled bootleg then wait god-knows-how-long for Buena Vista to release an edited, dubbed version
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:37 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I have a feeling Disney would want to put out as many of their films as possible, so they can hedge their bets. The only reason they didn't include Atlantis was because of how it bombed compared to Monsters, Inc. But if they give Spirited Away enough good PR, it could do quite well among the Princess Mononoke fans.

They may just submit more than one film this year since I don't see any animated films from any studios that don't have distribution deals with Disney being runaway favorites with critics the way Shrek (coughcoughoverrated) was, so DInsey doesn't have to worry about splitting the vote that much. (There's also Cowboy Bebop, but I don't see the Academy nominating more than one Japanese production when there are only three berths, and I doubt Columbia/TriStar's going to put it on more than a few dozen screens, based on their distribution of Metropolis.) As for box office prospects, I stand by my $20 to 30 million (give or take $10 million) prediction, which is very good for a foreign film and would still dwarf what Mononoke made.

GATSU wrote:

I'm not. It just shows Disney's running ideas by introducing the same characters that made them successful. Sure, they "make fun" of those characters, but it's really just PR for kids to buy more dvd's and merchandise for those older films. That and when they premiered Lilo and Stitch in my area(Hollywood), the whole area was blocked for three days. I have no love for Herr Eisner.

I wasn't just looking forward to Lilio and Stitch for the self parody (not the first time Disney's done self-parody; there's also House of Mouse), it looks like a charming movie on its own merits (and it has the voice of Tia Carrere, star of the 1986 film Zombie Nightmare, the second "best" American horror film ever filmed in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, Quebec). I, as a Disney and anime fan, fully admit that part of their motive in incuding characters from other Disney films is to promote the upcoming DVDs, which is great, since the best of the 90s (and late 80s) Disney films (didn't like Pocahontas or The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Hercules was mediocre, but between The Little Mermaid and Atlantis, I think there were more hits than misses) are still not availible on DVD (Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King (original), though I think Beauty is coming this fall; also coming this fall is a compendium of all Disney WWII propaganda cartoons, including Der Fuhrer's Face, which I never thought I'd see on DVD, especially not Region 1; I wish they'd do an Atlantis-esque Mulan disk, though I'll probably have to wait until 2008 or 2009.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tetsuo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:51 pm Reply with quote
About the studio ghibli boxset.It might not be a bootleg as I have seen a ghibli box set on an import site but even if its not I dont like using auction sites as they are to much hassle and I live in England which makes it even worse.
animeat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Tetsuo wrote:
I dont like using auction sites as they are to much hassle and I live in England which makes it even worse.

Ok i'll remember that in the future, sorry to cause any distress Anime smile
Slim Shinji
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

also coming this fall is a compendium of all Disney WWII propaganda cartoons, including Der Fuhrer's Face, which I never thought I'd see on DVD, especially not Region 1

Ok this is way off topic now, but do you have any more info on this?? I LOVE WWII propaganda cartoons, and Der Fuher's Face is an excellent, excellent cartoon....I'd love to own a clear copy of this film!
Tetsuo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:08 pm Reply with quote
No distress caused animeat.Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2