• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Winter 2012 Anime Season: Postmortem

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Getsuga311

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Getsuga311 wrote:
i wouldn't call the season 'slim pickings', given the large number of 2 cours series for the Fall season: Shana 3, Bakuman 2, Fate/Zero, Persona 4, Guilty Crown, Gundam AGE, Chihayafuru, Mirai Nikki, Hunter X Hunter and Phi Brain (dunno if Last Exile 2 is or not, thought it was but ANN only has 13 episodes listed) so add at least 10 to the list and its far from slim pickings

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Are all of those confirmed to be 2 cour? Right now the only ones ANN actually lists as 24 eps is Future Diary, Phi Brain and Bakuman. If the rest are all 2 cour as well then I agree, that's much better.

i don't only look on ANN for series lengths, they don't always tend to have the right amount, just the number of episode names out, i just tend to remember articles saying how long series are (Guilty Crown, Hunter x Hunter, Persona 4 were confirmed 24+ episodes in ANN news articles) or look around other sites for confirmations, even Wiki has been reliable in the past
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote
Only Natsume is a definite for me, so far. Might check out Inu X Boku as well. Other than that, I'll leave it to the preview guides and see what they say.
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Hmm why is the annoying girl from Tsukaima wearing Index's outfit?

I've heard that it's actually the other way around.

Anyway, Gyo is a must watch OVA. Other than that I'll watch Natsume and will hold off on Zero no Tsukaima for now, because I don't want to watch censored anime.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Wait a sec... Natsume 4?!?! *happiness* Cannot ask for more.
I don't know about the rest... but there are some continuing shows from fall. I'll probably follow Chihayafuru and if it picks up from that BORING first ep, Kimi to boku.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:34 am Reply with quote
Yes, no, yes, meh, yes, meh, no, no, meh, yes, probably not, no, hell no, hell no.
Volibear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
since it's nearing the end of the Fall season now and the Winter season will be upon us within a month i thought it resurrect this thread, starting by updating the Winter 2012 anime poster for everyone to browse:

http://neregate.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/neregate.com-Winter-2011-2012-Anime-v4.png
Volibear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:02 am Reply with quote
Based on the updated list, there looks to be enough to at least have a few viable series next season, although it doesn't hold a candle to the current season:

Amagami SS+
- watched the 1st series, although i'm not sure how well 6x2 episode arcs will turn out
Ano Natsu de Materru - enjoyed the Onegai series so i'm sure i'll enjoy this
Another - read the manga adaptation, don't think it'll be for everyone but i enjoyed it and hope they make the adaptation nice and creepy
Area no Kishi - not a sports anime fan, so i'll probably only give this 1/2 episodes but it doesn't sound totally sports oriented so i'll try it out
Black★Rock Shooter - watched the OVA, it's noitanimA...
Brave10 - just sounds good, and heard the manga was good too
Gokujyo - read the little of the manga that's avaliable, silly fun but it'll probably get slated by most people
High School DxD - read the first chapter of the manga, started ok, probably just another standard ecchi school comedy but i watch them anyway
Inu x Boku SS - heard the manga was good, so i'll try the anime
Kyousogiga - a possible sleeper series, not sure if it'll be good or bad
Mouretsu Pirates - Space Pirates, your arguements against it are invalid
Natsume Yuujin-chou Shi - watched the other 3 series, so i'll watch the fourth
Nisemonogatari - will be watching Bakemonogatari in the next couple of weeks before this starts, since i heard it was good
Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai! - sounds like a standard comedy anime, i imagine it's one of the most anticipated series in Japan
Recorder to Randoseru - fairly unique concept for the series, that at least makes it worth a look but i think it'll be a good series
Rinne no Lagrange - just gonna try it, has the elements to be good but it'll probably fall flat
Senhime Zesshou Symphogear - probably won't watch more than 2 episodes, but i'll try it out
Zero no Tsukaima F - (same as Natsume)

so i'll probably have plenty to watch next season, and with Bakuman 2, Chihayafuru, Guilty Crown, Hunter x Hunter, Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing-, Mirai Nikki, Persona 4, Phi Brain and Shakugan no Shana III all continuing over to next season i might be pretty full up time wise if i follow them all
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote
only couple good one next season. luckily, all the good shows will still continue into the next season.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:16 am Reply with quote
Space Pirates and Loli Detectives

What a wonderful world we live in.

Can't wait.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:52 am Reply with quote
Well it looks like people were right. Definitely a lot more shows on the new list. Not sure they've actually added anything good unfortunately.

I'm basically still looking at the same couple possibilities.

Kyousogiga might be watchable. The art style is certainly colorful. The description is utterly incoherent though. Tough to say anything with much certainty.

Maybe Another? If it turns out to be a legitimate mystery instead of just another bad high school show.

I will add Brave10 though which sounds like it could at least be a tolerable action show.

Other than that, nothing. Just sequels to shows I haven't seen and the usual junk.

Of course, I'll probably still be watching Future Diary as it moves into it's second half so at least there's that.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:26 am Reply with quote
I'm a complete novice when it comes to Gundam titles, so I'll need a bit of help here.

Do you need prior knowledge of the Gundam universe to watch SEED? The HD remasters have me curious and I might give it a go if it doesn't require me to watch any of the other Gundam titles. Does it stand alone in terms of story and characters, etc?

Aside from that... New SHAFT, new P.A. Works, a few new ufotable productions and Black Rock Shooter the motherhumpin' series?

Slim pickings this most certainly ain't!
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:56 am Reply with quote
No, SEED is it's own thing.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:46 am Reply with quote
After looking through the whole list again, I think the only thing that looks remotely interesting to me is going to be Another

At least I will have a few months to catch up on some older series and perhaps two/three series from this season that lost to Un-Go and Last Exile.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote
Good thing I only have 3 shows carrying over from previous seasons (Future Diary, Sket Dance, Beelzebub), because there's a lot of goodies here.

Things I'm Really Interested In:
Nisemonogatari - I really enjoyed Bakemonogatari and I love SHAFT, so I didn't really need to think about this one.
Ano Natsu de Matteru - Dat team. I believe Masayoshi Tanaka has the most attractive female character designs in the industry today. Oh yea, and Tatsuyuki Nagai only directed both AnoHana and Toradora, two shows I love and use Tanaka's designs. If only they could've gotten Mari Okada to write it, then I'd be overjoyed... And now that I actually look at Yousuke Kuroda's resume, I have no doubts this will be an amazing show, and I don't even know what it's about.
Kill Me Baby - Sounds and looks to be pretty funny, and I love comedies.
Black Rock Shooter - Again, DAT TEAM! Imaishi is enough to get me interested, but I'll gladly take Mari Okada as the writer. And while I don't know the specifics of Yusuke Yoshigaki's work, his resume seems to scream quality, so that's good.
Zero no Tsukaima F - I watched the first three, so why not the last one? Unlike Shana 3 where I'm waiting for a home video release, ZnT is probably done in R1, so I'll get it out of the way now.
Mouretsu Pirates - Moe and Pirates? I have to see this. Also, I remember hearing about it two years ago when it was called Mini-Skirt Pirates and being hooked by the name alone.

Things That Caught My Eye And Became Interested In:
Danshi Koukouse no Nichijou - Honestly, it caught my eye because it has Nichijou in the title. I was once a high school boy, and I know how disgusting we can be, so I wanna see what they do. I'll probably drop it, though, if they don't make it gross enough aka more realistic.
Another - It has a good bit of buzz, and I haven't seen many horror shows, so I'll give this a try.
Gokujyo - That picture got me interested. It sounds fairly interesting as well, but that picture hooked me.

Things I'm Trying for the Hell of It:
These are all the shows that don't sound too great, but I'll try because something about them intrigue me in some way.
Kyousogiga
Senhime Zesshou Symphogear
High School DxD
Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai - I think this one sits on the line between being a really heartwarming story and going down the path of bland and overly ecchi. I'm hoping and predicting the former, but I'm putting it here just in case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Konopan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Sequels, sequels, spinoffs, sequels, reruns, that show that Sket Dance wishes it could be, Macross derivatives (2? One looks more Strike Witches-y), amazing looking net anime that will have excruciating waits between each episode, Shoujo Space Pirates, CG yuri Shooter, a show about a cat, tweeny drama love triangle of the year, and Milky Holmes.

It could be worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5