• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation (might) license rescue Please Teacher?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I was looking at FUNimation's website for Ai Yori Aoshi, and something interesting was to the right, which apparently might be a place holder for a future link for Please Teacher. I wonder if this indicates FUNimation might license rescue it?

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
It's not an indication of anything. They list several shows in those fields that are either unlicensed or licensed by someone else. It's just there as a recommendation for people who like that show. They explained this themselves awhile back when people thought the same thing when they saw Cowboy Bebop on one of those lists (which was awhile before Bandai went bye bye).

EDIT: From their Rosario+Vampire page. I circled where they have To-Luv-Ru listed as similar titles, but we all know that Sentai has that one.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, stuff like that doesn't mean much. They have many reccomindations for titles owned/released by other companies scattered throughout their site. Even a few for shows that haven't been picked up yet. (Like the Michiko to Hatchin recomindation on the Lupin III: Woman Named Fujikoe Mine page.)

But hey you never know, Funimation still has a summers worth of conventions to attend, so anything is possible I guess.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
Teacher and Twins would be such better rescues than Ai Yori Aoshi so I knew it was too good to be true. Also, it's an old Bandai license and who knows what they did with it after the title went OOP. I think it's like parts of the Galaxy Angel series; it wasn't popular enough so it didn't merit keeping the Legend release in print {I guess. I would say it's kind of like how Funimation handled When They Cry; Something that shouldn't have gone OOP with an active company went OOP anyway. The second market sale prices are always a dead giveaway} so good luck finding a copy at a decent price after the fact.

But hey, there's Lucky Star. There's always Lucky Star.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Teacher and Twins would be such better rescues than Ai Yori Aoshi so I knew it was too good to be true. Also, it's an old Bandai license and who knows what they did with it after the title went OOP. I think it's like parts of the Galaxy Angel series; it wasn't popular enough so it didn't merit keeping the Legend release in print {I guess. I would say it's kind of like how Funimation handled When They Cry; Something that shouldn't have gone OOP with an active company went OOP anyway. The second market sale prices are always a dead giveaway} so good luck finding a copy at a decent price after the fact.

But hey, there's Lucky Star. There's always Lucky Star.

Ai Yori Aoshi is a pretty good series, just as much as Teacher and Twins. Besides, I managed to get Please Teacher for $36 from eBay and Please Twins for $29.85 off of Amazon.com (from goHastings).

Also, I pre-ordered Ai Yori Aoshi from RightStuf. Its cheaper to pre-order from RightStuf, but generally cheaper to buy from Amazon (except for RightStuf's bargain bin prices)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Apologies for what might be a dense question, but what is meant here by "rescue" of an anime?

Please Teacher and Please Twins have been on my shelf for years -- would a "rescued" edition be different in some way?

I know there will be people who disagree but I think the dubs on those anime are 9-out-of-10-stars.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Those dubs are good enough for what the shows were. Although Twins features Johnny Bosch and Kari Walgren, so no way in hell would I want anybody to even consider touching that dub! Evil or Very Mad

Rescue would be this: license expires/is lost... somebody picks it back up... gives it a new box with episodes probably on fewer discs with the same things it had before... fans who didn't buy it before can have another chance... the end. I don't know what else "rescue" could mean, especially since this is the pattern we've seen with the tons of rescues that have happened over the years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1