• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Dub Cast, Streams Trailer for B Gata H Kei

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
No one has mentioned the "69 second trailer"? Really? Laughing Laughing Laughing I wonder if Funimation planned on that or if it was a coincidence...I'm betting on the latter, still funny though.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Its baffling that people are going to waste their money on such a mundane title..the subject matter is absolutely ridiculous..I'll pass.
jopchan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Mundane? To you maybe, but for me, it was hilarious. Can't wait to watch it on BD... Laughing
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
mgosdin wrote:
This one was on my "You'll never see it in the USA" list, let alone getting dubbed by what looks like a pretty good cast.

Same.. but I said the same about Queens Blade and then that happened.

All we need is Seikon no Qwaser and we'll be all good.

Anyway, love the show, one of the underrated gems of 2010 that got overlooked.

Difference is that Queen's Blade is very well made show despite plot and narrative. B-Cupped Slut is not, besides there being zero nudity and nothing actually develops between the two main leads. Perhaps the manga isn't so pointless.
The purpose of the narrative wasn't exactly to have a typical romantic comedy-ish ending. To say that nothing developed between the two main leads is like saying nothing developed between Satou and Misaki in "Welcome to the NHK." While on the surface it seemed like no real chemistry had occurred in the end, the characters were in fact greatly changed. In NHK (which is a much better anime, I will openly admit), we saw spoiler[Satou ceased being a shut-in and Misaki started trying to recover from her emotional trauma."] In "B Gata", we saw spoiler[JYamada seeing the purpose in a meaningful relationship, and Takashi becoming less bashful and more open towards Yamada. ] Saying that "nothing" happened is, quite frankly, devaluing the whole show as having no point, when in fact, it's quite the opposite case. The show's point was to illustrate the fickleness and immaturity in many fledgling teenage relationships, and how somebody uses an overblown personality or goal (i.e. Yamada's quest for 100 sexual encounters) to bury down the fact that they're deeply, deeply lonely.

I'm quite excited for this show's release in America so I can support it. Watching the whole thing via fansubs last year, I spread the word as much as I could, while feeling horrid for not having given one of the rare good ribald anime comedies my dough. The dub sounds great, which makes me happy considering that I was expecting a D-grade treatment of this show. Knowing that I'll be able to support the original creators, while being able to introduce new fans to the show via a great sub OR dub track, makes me really happy.

I never expected this series to come over here, so seeing such a good treatment is awesome.
Botan24

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
jopchan wrote:
Mundane? To you maybe, but for me, it was hilarious. Can't wait to watch it on BD... Laughing

No kidding. I tried this totally on a whim (I'd passed over it before after reading the slim synopsis). I figured that I would be totally offended, or at least grossed out. But this show is more about comedy than anything else. Its what I would classify not so much as romantic comedy, but a screwball type. Yamada tries so hard to get it on with such a hapless guy (plus she has no clue what to do) that it makes for hilarious misunderstandings, situations, and whatnot. Wink I do believe in the very first episode spoiler[she goes to Kosuda's house and they attempt to make out. But, Kosuda gets "excited", Yamada notices his bulge, freaks out and runs off.] I was sold after that, because that is such a sweet, girly reaction from this character who wants one hundred sex partners.

FMAvatard wrote:
Karbowski may be the closest thing to Yukari Tamura we'll get, that was nearly spot-on.

Yeah, I have to disagree there. I find nothing attractive about Karbowski's voice. In fact, it rather bugs me. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually prefer the Japanese voice actors. At least in the roles of Kosuda and Yamada. Don't get me wrong, I love, love Funimation's dubs; just not too happy with the casting decision this time.
corinthian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
It's a great show, but I refuse to watch dubs with Greg Ayres. Other than him, the dub might be ok though.

That's rather petty, isn't it? And you're missing out on some great work, particularly on Beck.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
FMAvatard wrote:
Karbowski may be the closest thing to Yukari Tamura we'll get, that was nearly spot-on.

Yeah, I have to disagree there. I find nothing attractive about Karbowski's voice. In fact, it rather bugs me. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually prefer the Japanese voice actors. At least in the roles of Kosuda and Yamada. Don't get me wrong, I love, love Funimation's dubs; just not too happy with the casting decision this time.

Yeah, not really feeling her or Chika's VAs (though Chika had one line). In general, I find teenage girls/lolis the hardest to play in a dub, and ones I usually dislike the most. Adult women like Riza Hawkeye and Lust are good, but it sounds really forced to hear adult women acting like little girls a lot of the time. I think it's just something Japan is much better at.

But there are some decent/good VAs for younger girls I've seen... the Soul Eater cast was pretty good for the most part. Laura Bailey is probably my top two voice for young girls in a dub.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't matter what we think, 'cus it'll make money, even though IRL, a girl like that probably has herpes. Rolling Eyes
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Damn, Brittney's been working hard everywhere. Angel Beats, That Robot Angel one, now this.

Not bad voice work. Not sure I'd actually be interested in this series, but nice work, dub-wise.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote
This is gonna be good. Laughing Laughing Laughing
scineram

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:24 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Doesn't matter what we think, 'cus it'll make money, even though IRL, a girl like that probably has herpes. Rolling Eyes

You spit in her coffee or something?
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Why do I have a feeling that this anime isn't going to either do well or be that well-reviewed?

It's a fanservice / ecchi / harem type series.

OF COURSE IT IS NOT GONNA BE WELL REVIEWED! Unless it's Love Hina,Negima or another creation of Ken Akamasu.

Other than those two series and Queens Blade which was the bigger shock that it got solid reviews, I've yet to see any series from the fanservice/ecchi/harem type genere get a good review even though some of them are really good.

Then again it's just me since i'm a fanervice junkie.

Either way I'm glad it's getting a dub, and with a mix of newbie and vetrans, it's going to be interesting to say the least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beized

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:12 am Reply with quote
Trailer wrote:
"a ballsy teen-sex comedy" Tim Maughan, Anime News Network.

Wait a minute, I remember that preview guide...

Tim Maughan also wrote:
Rating: 1
...tacked on as an after thought in order to justify a butt-load of smut.
Certainly by the mid way point a couple of scenes had me feeling somewhere between fairly uncomfortable and positively creeped out.
...painfully generic
Perhaps, given a few weeks, B Gata H Kei will settle down a bit and start to genuinely make some poignant commentary on modern teenage life. The problem is whether anyone will notice or even care.

Hooray for quoting out of context.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
wow i'm just speechless on it casting really of all people to voice yamada they went with karb to voice her oh well yea got wonder how translate whole 100 "you know what" really imagine here saying that in dub version oh well she did ikaros this year figure really trying guess karb is do some playing against type voice roles first ikaros & now yamada?

rest some good casting give each of ero's god whoa glass, ayers, & tipton being ero's god indeed who came up with casting i'm in to looking forward to hear as well waiting for rest of cast to reveal.
Konopan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
IRL, a girl like that probably has herpes. Rolling Eyes

Being a virgin with herpes can't be easy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3