• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funico - What Does it Mean?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J3N0V4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:14 am Reply with quote
There's something a bit odd about all this though, there is NO real reason for Funi to go through with this. They don't need to offer a legal stream option to find out what's popular with the fans and what could be worth licensing, All they need to do is go to Nyaa or whatever the tracker for the fansub is and look at total downloads complete so Funi is now paying for something they could have got for free. I often think Funi is just a couple of guys throwing darts at a wall with names of different anime on it and have no time for their scheduling for releases but all in all this would have to be right up there with censoring Bund in terms of bad ideas for them.
I'll be blunt and say I'll take the fansub a day later any day of the week as well because any show that is simulcast has horribly Americanized subs in the horrible yellow font and type setting that looks like a 5 year old did it. It'll be a sad day when all the good subbers give up but at least I know that some of them HAVE to stick around
P.S. please don't start spamming the comments on that link, it's too good a site to ruin but it made the point very well
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:51 am Reply with quote
Seigi:
Quote:
The way I see it is that everything that Crunchyroll has for this season is literally the scraps Funimation passed up mostly due to other companies already having rights to them or obscure series with difficult selling points/unlicensed Jump titles

Perhaps, but I like Beelzebub, Level E, Sket Dance, and even Hunter X Hunter 2.0-and I'm not even a fan of the latter show's manga. I don't, however, give a fark about harem/moe show number one million which Funico gets as an exclusive. CR doesn't always get the winners, but it generally has titles I can feel satisfied with watching on the go and/or promoting. How 'bout that idea? Making anime, releasing anime on home video, and/or streaming anime I actually want to talk about again with others-like any other live-action show or movie-instead of being bored from the trailer alone? That's what got me into anime in the first place, stuff I could call my own, but which I could find likeminded people who were interested in it. To me, that's the better business model-growing an audience for a series and the medium in general, rather than just trying to make a quick buck on DVD/BD sales.

GSAttack:
Quote:
Why pay for the discs when they don't offer anything more than what I can view online (even if it requires a paid subscription).

As anyone who got KOR before Animeigo lost the rights, if it's something you really like, then it's worth it. Wink But only if the price is justified for a niche title like KOR. No point in owning, Yawara, if Animeigo's not gonna finish it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
J3N0V4 wrote:
They don't need to offer a legal stream option to find out what's popular with the fans and what could be worth licensing, All they need to do is go to Nyaa or whatever the tracker for the fansub is and look at total downloads complete

So... you're saying the people who download fansubs are as likely to buy DVDs than people watching legal streams? Does Nyaa provide a geographical breakdown on leechers?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
J3N0V4 wrote:
They don't need to offer a legal stream option to find out what's popular with the fans and what could be worth licensing, All they need to do is go to Nyaa or whatever the tracker for the fansub is and look at total downloads complete

So... you're saying the people who download fansubs are as likely to buy DVDs than people watching legal streams? Does Nyaa provide a geographical breakdown on leechers?

Funi essentially have done that (finding out what's popular) impliciitly by previously asking people through regular polls what they would like a year or two ago where the anime in the polls were not available through streams. And people were already commenting on what they liked or didn't liked. And they only way they could have done so was through fansubs. Heck the only they could have gotten all their One Piece viewers who started at their middle episodes was through fansubs ironically. (Recall there's a huge gap from where they started their simulcast and the video releases)

In any case I'd say the relationship is orthogonal, where it doesn't matter whether it's legal streams or fansubs. There's no indication of people who watch streams being any more likely to buy either (in fact, there some ANN members have stated they'll just watch the streams and don't buy) I think this is the most accurate statement:

People who have seen a show--from any source legal or not--and enjoy it, are much more likely to buy it.

For me, I buy a lot of anime. Like at least $1000 worth a year. Perhaps close to $2000 at times. Bascially most anime released in the US, sooner or later. I also have fansubs of each one I buy. The streams? I hardly watch simulcasts, usually waiting until the end of the season or two, for most shows. I just play them in the background just to add to the stats they can use in their decisions and whatever meager ad revenue outside of CR (being a member already)

Switching gears, people have mentioned some advantages the CR player currently has already like quality (bigtime), fullscreen. There are some other things I'd add that would be required for nico to gain parity:
- skipping ahead without having to wait for buffering (i.e. CR and youtube and others restarts the buffer from where you seek to)
- remembering where you left off. If I'm logged in, close my browser. Restart and come back to the show, it'll start where I left off at the right time in the episode.
- Softsubs. Probably not much of an issue for most, but it allows for easy correction (everyone has had mistakes even in video releases), multiple languages without seperate videos (server side effeciency), and good if you want to practice Japanese as well

Also I noticed CR has nico-like comments in their NYAF live stream: http://www.crunchyroll.com/live

Last edited by configspace on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:52 am; edited 2 times in total
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
SeigiNoSenshi wrote:

The way I see it is that everything that Crunchyroll has for this season is literally the scraps Funimation passed up mostly due to other companies already having rights to them or obscure series with difficult selling points/unlicensed Jump titles

do you even watch anime...
this season is indeed slow, but for everyone

I wouldnt call Working!! season 2 or Ika-musume season 2, scraps
not to mention fate/zero, idolmaster, beelzebub is still ongoing

I only go to funimation for two current shows, one piece and baka and test season 2, which recently finished - means I have NO reason to visit funimation

I think you guys are not giving crunchyroll enough credit
they literally curbed the anime piracy days where everyone was downloading torrents - simply because they offered the content people want to watch in a timely fashion.

CR also has the best user interface, the US nico is a joke.

the way I see it, funimation is trying to dig themselves 'another' financial hole. Remember when 'sentai filmworks' tried to license everything in the 90s? Did that work out for them? Apparently not since they had to change the company's name.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
I wonder what that means for Funi on Hulu as well-- I like Hulu because I use it for streaming non-anime stuff as well, so a Hulu+ account is a no-brainer for me. I'd really prefer NOT having yet another streaming service added, especially one that will have to go through a long trial-and-error period before they make it available for streaming on the PS3 and whatnot-- and you know it's going to take forever, because they can't even get their videos to stream correctly and they've been in the business for a long damn time.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
In any case I'd say the relationship is orthogonal, where it doesn't matter whether it's legal streams or fansubs. There's no indication of people who watch streams being any more likely to buy either (in fact, there some ANN members have stated they'll just watch the streams and don't buy) I think this is the most accurate statement:

People who have seen a show--from any source legal or not--and enjoy it, are much more likely to buy it.

I hold that a person who chooses to download something illegally in preference to a legal option is less likely to be a "buyer" so the numbers of legal viewers is more valuable data.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
configspace wrote:

I hold that a person who chooses to download something illegally in preference to a legal option is less likely to be a "buyer" so the numbers of legal viewers is more valuable data.

As long as you are comparing your numbers off similar sources, that argument doesn't hold logically.
I.e. even illegally, a show that's downloaded twice as much as another is downloaded is probably going to do twice as many sales on DVD.
The only way your argument works is by claiming illegal downloaders have fundamentally different taste than legal ones.

Which may well be true from a demographic perspective, I would definitely say that illegal download/streams skew younger than DVD/Bluray buyers... But that can also be accounted for in the data analysis.

Fundamentally, if you are being paid to do this sort of analysis you should take all available data, from legal sources to illegal sources, and do your best to account for the statistical sample differences.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll has many license anime too, but the license anime are normally take down very fast because i wasn't able to finish couple anime. I'm surprised that durarara is still on CR.

TV tokyo will always help CR to get couple good anime every season. Some anime in CR can only be watch by pay member. Free members have no access to fairy tail. Aniplex stream alot anime at CR for all members.

CR's top viewed shows are Naruto, Bleach, Gintama, And Shugo Chara. As long as they still have those, they will be fine.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I don't fully understand I keep reading Fujiko, Lupin's female competitor, when I see Funico. It's just me. Laughing
It's interesting little tid bits one can get from watching Japanese NHK World HD. Its "Imagine-Nation" programme stated back in September that Japanese cultural products including anime and manga, with the merchandise both carries is now the nation's third largest GDP export just under automobiles and auto parts, so to see something like this is no surprise to me and I fully expect more to come. Japan is in a deep recession and has been twice as long as the rest of the world, plus having its major export industries crippled and in some cases completely wiped off the surface of the planet by multiple natural disasters in so short a time means any smoldering ember of business opportunity has to be fanned by them in the hope it will turn into a warm fire of profits and prosperity and this is an example of that. Whether it works, or not still remains to be seen. On the worry about the impact on the amount of dubs produced, that too remains to be seen, however my personal opinion is it could give Funi more apples to pick and more idea which ones to dub going by the results of which titles do well in the streams. But even having said that I also have a deep concern in the back of my mind that popular streams won't always follow with popular DVD sales, as there is that "I've seen it already and it isn't worth a re-watch" affect that could hinder that. I must confess I commit this sin as well, but with rentals so it's not a complete loss to them like fansubs are. I'm not that keen on streams as it's not very convenient for me to watch and I can barely stand watching a DVD on my computer let alone a constantly buffering stream on my archaic internet infrastructure. I do like the idea that NicoNico is pushing for the international license deal, not totally relying on North America only. However this could either be the beginning of something great, or a total train wreak with little survivors if not managed well. I wish them both luck. Wink
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Crunchyroll has many license anime too, but the license anime are normally take down very fast because i wasn't able to finish couple anime. I'm surprised that durarara is still on CR.
It depends on what you mean by very fast. Except for Fairy Tail, the minimum for most has been a month after the end of the season, and more recently the end of the following season has been more common.

Quote:
TV tokyo will always help CR to get couple good anime every season. Some anime in CR can only be watch by pay member. Free members have no access to fairy tail. Aniplex stream alot anime at CR for all members.

CR's top viewed shows are Naruto, Bleach, Gintama, And Shugo Chara. As long as they still have those, they will be fine.
And they can expand laterally as well if they can get wider regions for Sket Dance and Hunter x Hunter, which are likely to appeal to some of the same viewers as Naruto, Bleach and Gintama.

If Crunchyroll could work out an automatic sharing deal with TAN, and a standard offer to original licensors that included an opt out of exclusive North American rights in return for a steep discount on MG and rights to the other streaming licensee's subtitle script, they'd be in a position to contract for broad international rights in advance without the licensor having to worry about being blocked out of a possible richer first week exclusive streaming deal with another North American licensee, they might be able to overcome this season's blackout problems in Northern Europe, and even greater blackout problems in South America, Africa and the Middle East.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
I wonder what that means for Funi on Hulu as well-- I like Hulu because I use it for streaming non-anime stuff as well, so a Hulu+ account is a no-brainer for me.

One change (which won't affect you) is that Guilty Crown on Hulu is only available to Hulu Plus subscribers. A normal Hulu viewer, such as myself, only gets a 90 second preview. I expect the same will be true for Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing.

BTW, with Hulu Plus, are the simulcasts & recent series posted by Funimations available in 720p, or are they still limited to 480p maximum, as with the standard edition of Hulu?
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
... One change (which won't affect you) is that Guilty Crown on Hulu is only available to Hulu Plus subscribers. A normal Hulu viewer, such as myself, only gets a 90 second preview. I expect the same will be true for Last Exile -Fam, The Silver Wing.
Here's hoping ~ Last Exile -Fam on Hulu+ would mean I get it on my Roku.

Quote:
BTW, with Hulu Plus, are the simulcasts & recent series posted by Funimations available in 720p, or are they still limited to 480p maximum, as with the standard edition of Hulu?
Let me go look {step} {step} {step} {crash} ow! {bang} damn! {step}

OK, so I'm offered 480p at best on Guilt Crown, so I think that's their top Hulu resolution for now.

Mohawk52 wrote:
For some reason I don't fully understand I keep reading Fujiko, Lupin's female competitor, when I see Funico.
FUNimation and niconico must have had to hash out between FUNico or funicofunico or variants thereof ~ perhaps its easier to maintain a silly capitalization inside a single company, and so they compromised on the least silly way to write it.

But FUNico would have been harder to misread as Fujiko.

Last edited by agila61 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
batou37

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
J3N0V4 wrote:
There's something a bit odd about all this though, there is NO real reason for Funi to go through with this.

I'd say that there is. First off it releases them from the burden of competing with the other companies that stream simulcasts for acquiring new titles each season. They no longer have to worry about the simulcast streaming side of things as Funico does it all. They still seem to be going ahead with their Elite membership site which is where they will stream their catalog of titles, which will possibly gain them some revenue from those who like to subscribe to the most places possible because they can watch a lot of content that they might like, but not like enough to actually purchase a hard copy (I'm one of these people.) It will also serve (primarily I would think) as advertisement for their main business model of selling physical media. I would also think that it would smooth and streamline one of what I would think is the most difficult parts of their business, license negotiations. They now basically have a proxy that does the initial negotiating and this gives them a foot in the door on options to license and lessens the amount of work.
SeigiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

do you even watch anime...
this season is indeed slow, but for everyone

I wouldnt call Working!! season 2 or Ika-musume season 2, scraps
not to mention fate/zero, idolmaster, beelzebub is still ongoing

the way I see it, funimation is trying to dig themselves 'another' financial hole. Remember when 'sentai filmworks' tried to license everything in the 90s? Did that work out for them? Apparently not since they had to change the company's name.

You're completely misinterpreting the basis of my post, perhaps scraps wasn't quite the best term to describe things they didn't want? Of course I watch anime, I'm watching 20+ shows this season.

I'm not saying __ show is bad at all (In fact I'm looking at my Wagnaria! box set right now and patiently waiting for my Ika DVDs [I'll still buy the BDs, MB, make it happen!]), the point is that the S2s have probably already been reserved for the respective companies that have the rights to S1, why would they license something for streaming if they have no chance of getting the DVDs? I can't speak for most of the Shonen Jump titles other than possibly CR + Tokyo TV exclusivity contract.

I'd be glad to give Crunchyroll more credit, but as someone who has been subscribed for long enough, that there was a point where the only original delay being what I'll assume was the "translator's day off," I'm extremely frustrated that more (but not all) of the titles I enjoy now that are between 3 days and 3 WEEKS behind, that just does not sound "timely" to me at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8