• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm guessing no one here likes One Piece...?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
If we're going to go down the One Piece vs. Naruto route (and I don't feel entirely qualified to do so, since I've seen about a quarter as much of Naruto as I have of One Piece), the reason I'd choose One Piece in an instant is that its main cast doesn't sink into that oft-abused shounen standard of good ol' fashioned teenage angst. Naruto's endlessly prattling on about how he's going to be the next hokage (believe it!) and stroking his inferiority complex to Sasuke. Sasuke himself is continually polishing up on his aloof, superior airs and denigrating Naruto (which doesn't even get into the total asshat he becomes later on). And Sakura can seemingly do nothing but fawn over her unrequited love for Sasuke and completely brush aside Naruto's good-hearted attempts at affection. I found the main cast (besides Kakashi, who's just awesome) to be, by and large, rather insufferable...and I only made it 35 or so episodes into the series. I shudder to think what my opinion of them will be when I finally get around to moving further. I actually did skip ahead and watch the climactic fight of the first series (I'm sure you know which one) when it aired on Cartoon Network, and though the animation was jaw-droppingly gorgeous, the whole mess of build-up flashbacks and in-battle posturing just left me rolling my eyes.

You know the main reason why I love One Piece? Because it's unabashedly fun. Even in the most dire of straits, even when facing villains that are truly sadistic slime, Luffy and company genuinely enjoy what they do. In the midst of these intensely serious battles, even after he's been pounded to a pulp, Luffy will still crack a one-liner or come up with a truly zany method of attack. I'd go so far to say that Luffy is far and away my favorite protagonist out of any shounen series I've seen. He just has such an amazingly unique personality and outlook on life. He doesn't undergo existential crises. He doesn't spend eons searching for the motivations for his actions. Hell, half the time, he's not even completely sure of what's going on around him. He just sees what needs doing and does it, all with a smile on his face. It's that refreshing sense of lightheartedness and genuine love of adventure that made me fall in love with the series almost as soon as I started watching it.

(Also, that DVD trailer is awesome. I'd pre-order the first set this instant if I wasn't flat broke. Sad )
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
I like Naruto, but I wish the fights looked better. Naruto and Bleach have really cool looking fight scenes, but One Piece fights never look as cool as I hope. Although, i've only seen 1-73. They've had some cool bad guys (Shanks) and Zoro should always look insane, but it never seems to come off as cool looking as i'd hope it would.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the OP tv series rarely brings in the high budget animators for the fight scenes like Naruto and Bleach tend to do. I think they did during the CP9 arc at one point. The movies tend to have better animation though, some of them are insanely cool.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
If we're going to go down the One Piece vs. Naruto route (and I don't feel entirely qualified to do so, since I've seen about a quarter as much of Naruto as I have of One Piece), the reason I'd choose One Piece in an instant is that its main cast doesn't sink into that oft-abused shounen standard of good ol' fashioned teenage angst. Naruto's endlessly prattling on about how he's going to be the next hokage (believe it!) and stroking his inferiority complex to Sasuke. Sasuke himself is continually polishing up on his aloof, superior airs and denigrating Naruto (which doesn't even get into the total asshat he becomes later on). And Sakura can seemingly do nothing but fawn over her unrequited love for Sasuke and completely brush aside Naruto's good-hearted attempts at affection. I found the main cast (besides Kakashi, who's just awesome) to be, by and large, rather insufferable...and I only made it 35 or so episodes into the series. I shudder to think what my opinion of them will be when I finally get around to moving further. I actually did skip ahead and watch the climactic fight of the first series (I'm sure you know which one) when it aired on Cartoon Network, and though the animation was jaw-droppingly gorgeous, the whole mess of build-up flashbacks and in-battle posturing just left me rolling my eyes.

Once again, I really think this all has to do with just simply good 'ol personal opinion. I've always loved the characters in Naruto for pretty much the same reason as I've always loved Naruto himself. It's because of their imperfectnesses. I mean, aren't most of us as people unlikealbe? I just think that, and it's quite obvious that he does, Kishimoto wants you to not like his main characters at first, because of how those characters remind you of you, and aren't on a higher level than you, so that it makes room for better, at least more meaningful anyways, development.

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again, knowing where the story is at at that point, I honestly don't believe giving it just 35 episodes is giving it enough of a chance. Heck, I'm not even sure you could say giving it just 52 (2 full seasons) episodes is giving it enough of a chance. And also what I've said before many a time and I'll say it again, I think that if the anime's "filler" techniques really bug you that much, then I'd go read the manga instead. At the point you mentioned, out of 41 or so volumes, that was only at about volume 6 or 7 in the manga. Yeah, not much of a chance.... But I have to honestly say that with maybe the exception of Sasuke, and for obvious reasons too (and even he's included in this to a particular extent, he just also gets worse at a particular point as well ), every one of it's characters does indeed get WAY more likeable at a particular point. I just feel like where they are at that point feels a lot more meaningful because of at what point they were at once before, and because of this I feel like the main themes of Naruto are as a whole more meaningful because of how easily one can relate to the characters themselves (not saying everyone can, just saying a lot of people can).

But hey, you guys have your own opinion and I have mine. I'm not trying to change your minds or argue against you or anything like that, I'm just simply letting you guys know why I feel the way I do about the issue is all.

braves wrote:
But I'd like to add that while I like One Piece a lot, the art style gets kind of distracting sometimes due to its quirkiness(sp?).

Actually for me, it's that very art style that 's one of the reasons I like One Piece as much as I do. I just love how it perfectly captures the overall feeling of the series in the first place, and I also feel like it gives a lot of room for a lot of the imaginativety and creativeness about the series as well.

I also wanted to add one more thing:

Ohoni wrote:
Yeah, that was the scene where I fell in love with One Piece, when he puts his hat on Nami's head? Perfect.

Even though I had already fallen in love with the series beforehand, I have to say it was pretty much the same for me. I don't know if I really, truly knew just how much I was going to love this series until I saw that scene, and the scene after that as well. Great stuff.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Even though I had already fallen in love with the series beforehand, I have to say it was pretty much the same for me. I don't know if I really, truly knew just how much I was going to love this series until I saw that scene, and the scene after that as well. Great stuff.

Yeah, that's what I meant, I already liked the series, I had gotten that far, after all, but I LOVED if after that. Wink
braves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:

Actually for me, it's that very art style that 's one of the reasons I like One Piece as much as I do. I just love how it perfectly captures the overall feeling of the series in the first place, and I also feel like it gives a lot of room for a lot of the imaginativety and creativeness about the series as well.

The art style works pretty well in the manga, but it doesn't translate that good to the anime sometimes.

Collecting One Piece on DVD will cost me a small fortune, not to mention all the other series I like. Anime cry

Top Gun wrote:
Sakura can seemingly do nothing but fawn over her unrequited love for Sasuke and completely brush aside Naruto's good-hearted attempts at affection.

If it helps ( not that big a spoiler)spoiler[ Sakura becomes more mature and she actually helps out on missions afterwards.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
As for Onepiece in general,I'll say this and say it now,now don't get me wrong,I don't wanna try to start a hyped Naruto vs Bleach vs Onepiece war,I mean,I like all 3 just fine.

Naruto (it was good for awhile,but than as soon as it got licensed and midway through season 3,it started going downhill when it becamed way too overhyped

Bleach (the soul scociety arc was good,but than the plot just started getting too weird in recent episodes,no offense,but the later episodes just did'nt interest me.)

as for Onepiece,not because I think the artstyle was unique and cartoonish because it's one of the few original animes to use a storyplot about"Pirates" unless you count Peter Pan no Bouken, and unlike most storyarc animes,the Strawhats don't always stay on the same continent land to fight a different villian,like in for example,DBZ fight scenes always take place in the West city region or some other place thats closed to master roshi's house or Goku's house or whatever,but in onepiece,they travel to places like an ice world,dessert world,skypiea,I mean,it's like Oda took ideas from the Mario franchise or something.lol
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
ChronoBall X wrote:
as for Onepiece,not because I think the artstyle was unique and cartoonish because it's one of the few original animes to use a storyplot about"Pirates" unless you count Peter Pan no Bouken, and unlike most storyarc animes,the Strawhats don't always stay on the same continent land to fight a different villian,like in for example,DBZ fight scenes always take place in the West city region or some other place thats closed to master roshi's house or Goku's house or whatever,but in onepiece,they travel to places like an ice world,dessert world,skypiea,I mean,it's like Oda took ideas from the Mario franchise or something.lol

Granted, the Mario franchise is one of the largest in the world, and it has had a lifespan two and a half decades now.Whether Oda took ideas from Mario itself, may or may not be true. We know that Oda over the years has taken influences and ideas from several different sources, Mario could be one.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Somehow, I kind of doubt that the Super Mario Bros. series was the originator of the "hey, let's place our characters in a lot of different settings!" concept. Razz
braves

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
The official release date for the season 1 DVD set was yesterday. So please comment on it. Smile

EDIT: I'll comment on it when I get it sometime later this week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wellness

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
ChronoBall X wrote:

Actually I think One Piece took ideas from the original Dragonball more than it did Super Mario. In the OG series, outside of the tournament every four years, Goku and crew traveled to all sorts of places and encountered weird/enemies and the like searching for Dragonballs or ways to get stronger. OP has the same fun and unpredictable adventure aspect of the original DB series that is lost during the transitions to DBZ and the adoption of pure action super power stories that DBZ is renown for.

But beyond all that the current arc is insane but in the best way possible. Very Happy
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Oh there's lots of One Piece fans on here if you look hard enough. And guess what? I'm one of 'em! Anime hyper And I believe we did indeed have a thread that discussed the series as of the Funimation dub. Let me see if I can find it........ Ah, here it is!

Anyways, it's a pretty darn shame that this series got really poor treatment over here, otherwise I really think it'd be at least almost as popular as Naruto anyways. It really is up there as one of the all time shounen greats. Personally, I don't really care about how "childish" a series is. I just base how much I like it off of how good it is overall. Thing is, even though it really is quite childish, it's still got a lot for the older audiences to love as well, or at least the "truly" mature anyways. Wink I think it's a very creative and imaginative series with a lot of really fun adventure and exciting epicness. With probably some of the best comic relief of all time as well! Laughing In a way, I can almost say it's the crazy, odd, chidlishness about it that I love so much.

And Luffy as the main hero is just awesome! Definitely one of my all-time favorite lead characters. It can also be quite emotionally powerful at times as well, with some of the things that Luffy does for his friends and all the close bonds between the characters.

Pretty much everything I love about a good shounen series, and then some, even if it doesn't have that "cool factor." But I don't know man, it actually can be pretty cool, just in a different way than your typical coolness. Wink And I'm actually starting to realize as I watch the episodes more that it actually does indeed have a much better storyline than I originally thought, it just doesn't get too deep into it yet. Wink

I agree with you 100%! One Piece really is a good series with a great storyline, and for all you naysayers, One Piece is getting higher ratings in Japan than Naruto Shippuuden. As proof, check ANN daily news. They often have Anime TV Rankings, and One Piece is always on there, above Naruto. One Piece and Detective Conan usually compete for spots 4-7. (The higher spots are taken up buy Shin-Chan, Chibi Maruko chan and Doreamon.) Naruto Shippuuden is almost always in spot ten, lower than Pokemon DP even. Cool
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
I agree with you 100%! One Piece really is a good series with a great storyline, and for all you naysayers, One Piece is getting higher ratings in Japan than Naruto Shippuuden. As proof, check ANN daily news. They often have Anime TV Rankings, and One Piece is always on there, above Naruto. One Piece and Detective Conan usually compete for spots 4-7. (The higher spots are taken up buy Shin-Chan, Chibi Maruko chan and Doreamon.) Naruto Shippuuden is almost always in spot ten, lower than Pokemon DP even. Cool

Even though I do like One Piece slightly more than Naruto, I fail to see how TV ratings judge quality (think of how many people were tuning into the latest generic family sitcom instead of Arrested Development.......). Especially with Case Closed (Detective Conan) ahead of Naruto. I like Case Closed, BUT say what you will about Naruto, at least the overall plot is guaranteed to advance if you watch 10 (non-filler) episodes. Even Inuyasha gets to the point quicker than Case Closed! Good show, but nothing I'd ever consider rewatching or possibly even completing for that matter (might buy the first few season sets for good measure and call it quits).
Chaos42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
nartuo and one piece are both good series but the reason it gets more ratings is simple the story is moving-one piece they are always moving around adventuring even the anime only stuff is about that. Naruto has the 200+ filler-stories that GO NO WERE.

right now im worried bleach is doing the same thing i hate filler that gets out of control
braves

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote
Chaos42 wrote:
nartuo and one piece are both good series but the reason it gets more ratings is simple the story is moving-one piece they are always moving around adventuring even the anime only stuff is about that. Naruto has the 200+ filler-stories that GO NO WERE.

There were only 85 episodes of filler in Naruto. While some of the anime only stuff in One Piece is good, like the ones that go over Chopper's and Zoro's past, there are others that are on a Naruto filler level type of stupid (ie, Rainbow arc Rolling Eyes ). And filler doesn't go anywhere, that's why it's filler.

Anyways, I might be going a little off-topic with wanting to talk about the manga. But, does anyone following the Japanese version of the manga feel that it's coming to an end soon?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12