• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Eat-Man

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Never thought I'd hear about Eat-Man again. I rented it many years ago. My roommates absolutely hated it but for some reason there was *some* kind of weird element in it that kept me watching. I never could tell what that element was though, like the fragment of a dream that is just at the edge of memory so that you can't quite put your finger on it.

Ultimately I decided that it was a flawed creation, that it attempted to do something different and ambitious but ultimately failed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
frubam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
I totally thought that was Mosquiton when I first saw that image on the main page. Master of Mosquiton would be a good title for a future Buried Treasure *hint**hint**wink**wink* =)

I hope you mean the OVA. I have the re-release ADV brought out(w/the original... Media Blasters?... dub, which was pretty good IMO) and i LOVED it. Got it at Best Buy for 20 dollars and was well worth it. I just couldn't get into the TV series though. The first 2 ep seemed GAWD AWFUL to me :\

I watched the first ep of the original Eat-Man today, and i rather liked the vibe i was getting from it. Very different from the most protagonists seen in today's animes. I picked up the Bandai's Eat-Man DVD brick pack at some import bootleg store, and i felt it was a waste of $15 bucks :\ . Of course, it was like 4 years ago, and my tastes have matured, but i don't think i could ever go back to it.
Grico

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
frubam wrote:
RadicaLElly wrote:
I totally thought that was Mosquiton when I first saw that image on the main page. Master of Mosquiton would be a good title for a future Buried Treasure *hint**hint**wink**wink* =)

I hope you mean the OVA. I have the re-release ADV brought out(w/the original... Media Blasters?... dub, which was pretty good IMO) and i LOVED it. Got it at Best Buy for 20 dollars and was well worth it. I just couldn't get into the TV series though. The first 2 ep seemed GAWD AWFUL to me :\

You have it the opposite direction, ADV Films did the dub and had released it on VHS and then media blasters did the re-release. Very enjoyable little series. I remember when I was really getting into anime and saw the review here on ANN and I thought "wow i cannot believe they make stuff that sounds that weird" and really wanted to see it. Haven't seen the tv series though, would give it a shot if they released it in the US.
weirdofu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Just a fun little tidbit that was included in the author's notes at the back of the original mangas that were released. The original manga was actually created in the author's spare time, which for most mangaka is kind of amazing. Even his editor who he eventually showed the work to, thought he had too much free time. The manga ended on vol 19 a few years back, and it does eventually piece together, to a certain extent, Bolt's history, personality, and possibly what he is. Not to mention the core group of main characters eventually grew from just 1 to around 4 or 5.

As a fan of the manga, I watched both series as they were released, the original and '98 version. They each had a specific feel to them that was just "Eat-man"-esque. So, I thoroughly enjoyed them both. And I'm pleasantly surprised and happy that it showed up as a Buried treassure as it surely is one.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
Oh, wow...I never thought that I'd see or hear about Eat-Man ever again, after seeing Locomotion get canned! He's one of my favorite characters in Anime. Sure, his name is silly (and 'Pistol Gunn' doesn't sound so lame, either!), but I liked the show. Granted, I didn't get to see a lot of it, but if I ever saw it on, my butt was glued to the bed for a while.

While I know that fans of the manga hate the anime version, I actually preferred the original Eat-Man to Eat-Man '98; not that I didn't like Eat-Man '98 (I loved it as much as the original Eat-Man). It was just that every time I watched, it was in the first four episodes! spoiler[Also, there were lesbians involved in there; that was a bit of a shock for me, when I was 14. Yes, I know, I'm a late bloomer])

Rock on, Buried Treasure guide. You've brought back an extremely happy memory. Now, when do we get an article about Nightwalker? Anime smile
Grico

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Rock on, Buried Treasure guide. You've brought back an extremely happy memory. Now, when do we get an article about Nightwalker? Anime smile

That would be nice. Pretty good series, with a GREAT last episode.[/quote]
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Interesting lil' tidbit, for anyone looking to buy this... vol 1 is listed on Amazon as Haunted Junction on DVD, starring Eat-Man. See?

Just got done talking with a seller to confirm it was Eat-Man for sale. There's some really weird listings on Amazon...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2