• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-03-26

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Twisted ending. I think I'd have liked this one better if it had stuck with cute stuff like Nina's VHS fort.

Oddly this strip is timely as my family is beginning to finally purge itself of all VHS tapes. (I doubt we'll switch to Blu-Ray before it's impossible not to. Frankly, if the companies weren't pushing HD like heroine, I doubt most people would switch to it at all given that unless you're dealing with HD quality to begin with, there really isn't that much of a difference.)

But VHS fort was win. Poor Nina's bleeding mouth is pain. Kevin has apparently eaten enough old media to aquire gums of steel. That's scary enough to warrant a flashback comic.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh lordy, this sounds like me entirely. Although at the moment I have neither a blu-ray player nor an HD quality TV so I'm not gonna panic over replacing my dvds as of yet. But I still have a small mountain's wroth of anime on VHS I never got around to replacing. It was actually just last week that I managed to part with some of my ancient VHS fansubs.

Not planning to get the converter box for my TV either. Not much point to it when I only have basic cable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
At lease you can use at least you can play dvd in a blu-ray player
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
RevyHenriettaRider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Hello! Smile

I must say that this one is really funny and it pains me to say that it hits home a bit too much. I have way too many VHS tapes. Maybe I should make a fort of them too. Very Happy
Xevo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's a great idea actually. Since cd's are made of salt and all.. Wonder how a cd will taste.. ~bites~
Xevo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
Oh lordy, this sounds like me entirely. Although at the moment I have neither a blu-ray player nor an HD quality TV so I'm not gonna panic over replacing my dvds as of yet. But I still have a small mountain's wroth of anime on VHS I never got around to replacing. It was actually just last week that I managed to part with some of my ancient VHS fansubs.

Not planning to get the converter box for my TV either. Not much point to it when I only have basic cable.

Just keep the dvd's. because even if blu ray takes over, a computer will always be able to read dvd's. Anime catgrin
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
Don't give the desperatley hungry ideas like that!

On a side note, my parents still have VHS movie tapes. I don't think they'd even sell at a garage sale....
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
Foolish Nina...

Everyone knows that you need to marinate the discs in hydrofloric acid for 6 hours before eating them and they become much more malleable, much like tortillas. (Don't forget to thoroughly rinse off the acid beforehand!)
JNOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Foolish Nina...

Everyone knows that you need to marinate the discs in hydrofloric acid for 6 hours before eating them and they become much more malleable, much like tortillas. (Don't forget to thoroughly rinse off the acid beforehand!)

And that might be why Kevin does not bleed. It could also be that he is also related to Michel Lotito, the real-life version of Eat-Man (minus the metal sticking out of his arm)!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
Good news, tons of shows will not ever be on Hi-def formats because they're too old. hooray. Also, as for what to do with VHS, you can just have someone put them on a DVD for you and make a menu and what not and then just toss the VHS away, unless you really want the quality. Then again, tons of shows are only on VHS even now.[/list]
ZZalapski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
That last frame with bleeding Nina was disturbing.

There are places that will recycle unwanted media such as CD/DVD coasters, VHS, audiotape, VHS, floppy disks, etc. Greendisk is one such place that'll take in small quantities (i.e., on a per-home level, although they work with businesses too) for a nominal fee; there may be others too.

Before you recoil at the notion of paying someone to take your unwanted tapes; even putting aside the idea of helping the environment, isn't it worth something to free up whatever space they were occupying?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
I chuckled, then sighed, because this whole new format thing has me irritated. I'm just now catching up on replacing my VHS tapes with DVDs and have barely had my DVD collection long enough to enjoy the format completely, since the televisions I have aren't all that great. Now not only do I have to replace my television before the signals all switch over to digital, but I have to replace DVDs with Blu-Ray if I want to keep up? I've seen Blu-Ray and HD-DVD video, and it's not all that better.

I realize that my Nintendo Wii will probably be replaced with some new system in a year or less, too.

These new video/game format changes every couple of years now make me wretch.

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
With that many VHS tapes, surely Kevin has a couple of ultra-rare Anime on them (and perhaps on laserdisc or Betamax as well?) from decades past. Selling a single tape of such rare Anime to a collector could pay for one of those hybrid DVD/VHS combos, which (I am under the impression) can burn the Anime on the VHS to DVD format. Then, just take the rest (non rare) tapes to the dump, and hey presto.

It should be that easy. Since no-one seems to do it, I guess it isn't.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
I loved Myoopi's expression on the final panel.

As for switching between media, I've ripped all my DVD's to my hard disk and that's where they're going to stay. At this point I don't even feel remotely inclined to buy a Blu-Ray player, never mind replace my existing media.
Thainen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:37 am Reply with quote
Yes, switching media is really a problem - i just got a laaaarge bag of CD and DVD from a senpai otaku. Though what he eventually changed to is HDD which probably do not get outdated so fast. I hope to do the same thing and get rid of that bag and my own boxes - their sight usets me sooo.

Also, if someone really rebuys anime he has already paid for, than maybe he deserves that =) And buying the same thing three times is beyond my comprehension - does anyone really do such things?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6