• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Alabama 6th-Grade Boys Arrested for Death Note Book

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
At the same time though, I was at a comic convention and plenty of vendors were selling death note notebooks to kids. I think its kinda cool though that there have been so many of these situations popping up. Is death note becoming a popular show on Adult Swim?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Is death note becoming a popular show on Adult Swim?
Depends on your definition of popular. The ratings aren't the best ever or anything but it gets a lot more discussion than, say, the lastest Squidbillies.

Sadly I often think all TV airings really accomplish is reminded people that they haven't downloaded everything yet. Sad

@ ikillchicken: No worries, Canada rocks. Some of favorite VAs work there. (Yeah there are other reasons but this is an anime forum.)
N15PCA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
Sooner or later people are going to find out how these kids are getting the idea for this Death Note book's.

This is last thing anime need right now.
hogkill3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Only in the states would you have to go to a Juvenile hearing for this. I can see how the school might decide to give you a suspension for a day or two but only in the states could anyone be dumb enough to hit the kids with legal action.

Yeah you heard me. All you americans can take your mall/school shootings and your omgviolenceinfluencesourkids/letstakeeverythingsoseriouslycuztheworldisouttogetusbecausewearethealliesofjusticebs and shove it.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
hogkill3 wrote:
Only in the states would you have to go to a Juvenile hearing for this. I can see how the school might decide to give you a suspension for a day or two but only in the states could anyone be dumb enough to hit the kids with legal action.

Yeah you heard me. All you americans can take your mall/school shootings and your omgviolenceinfluencesourkids/letstakeeverythingsoseriouslycuztheworldisouttogetusbecausewearethealliesofjusticebs and shove it.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Sorry, I'll stop this now. In fact, I'll stop reading this thread entirely. I've heard this discussion seventy-nine times before, one more and ANN will be able to achieve Buddhahood. Noone has anything new to say, and nothing we say here, new or old, is going to solve or change anything, it's all just pointless wanking over our own ability to make dire prophecies and armchair-quarterback parents and societal institutions. It not only promotes demented ranting and bombastic internet speechifying, but it's DULL. It follows like Prufrock's streets, and I'm sick of it.

Okay, I lied. One more, THEN I'll stop this:

fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
hogkill3 wrote:

Absolutely controversial statement. There are plenty of other countries out there who have problems with their youth and in the juvenile systems. The Japanese have been having to deal with how low the age rating should be for prosecuting children who commit atrocious crimes for some time.

http://en.ce.cn/World/Asia-Pacific/t20040603_989211.shtml
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Absolutely controversial statement. There are plenty of other countries out there who have problems with their youth and in the juvenile systems. The Japanese have been having to deal with how low the age rating should be for prosecuting children who commit atrocious crimes for some time.

http://en.ce.cn/World/Asia-Pacific/t20040603_989211.shtml

I was shocked until I realized that the article was about 4 years old. How about bringing something recent to the table?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

I was shocked until I realized that the article was about 4 years old. How about bringing something recent to the table?

Well if you can provide on your end I will provide on mine. I think mine though is convincing enough on the problems that the Japanese have had, and there are plenty of cases over here where we have had to question the age limits of children and minors who commit crimes. It's in a work of balance where environment, peers, law, and the outcome play the roles of what determines how we handle our children.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:19 am Reply with quote
You don't understand. All I asked was for a recent article, if there was one. No strings attached.

You sure like making things difficult. =/
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
You sure like making things difficult. =/

Which is why my girlfriend broke up with me Laughing
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
....wow...

xD Harsh.
yukikanou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
I find myself very curious as to whether this sort of thing has happened in Japan as well. Confused

I know it's happened in China and Belgium. Japan? No idea.

I (whatever number) that thought also! But then again, Neba-tan killed...I'm surprise that hasn't happened with higurashi no naku here in America...
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Miho wrote:
*Sigh* Again? When will these kids learn? They're giving anime fans a bad name.

Not to mentioned the entire industry in general. Let's just hope this conterversy dies out unlike with the chaos that the directors cut of mezzo forte and kite brought out cause if more of this happens,the industry might find itself with the same mess the gaming industry got when mortal kombat came out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8