• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Roujin Z

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
You mean Hiroyuki Kitakubo.

Oops. How stupid of me. Thanks.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
I saw this movie on Space Channel in Canada a decade ago. It was a pretty funny movie in a WTF way. Smile The movie was dubbed too BTW.

People here can't sit here and tell me that they didn't find the whole high pitched HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT line in the dub of the movie hilarious. Laughing

There were a few things in the movie that still confounded me though. Namely:

1. How the whole Project Z device got possessed by Takazawa's late wife in the first place.
2. How the device for some strange reason managed to grow an organic brain.
3. How one moment we see the device collide into a building with random twisted metal and when the smoke clears, the device had already amalgamated the pieces to itself. I think it would've been more cooler to see the actual amalgamation take place.
fronzel wrote:
Didn't everyone die at the end for some reason?

Possible. spoiler[The Project Z device managed to come back to life again for some reason with Takazawa's wife greeting Haruko and the others cheerfully. Then when it was about to move into the building, everyone's look of shock turned to prayer followed up by fade to white screaming. End of movie.]
bci110

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:
Sure, easily available NOW. But Elf Princess Rane went out of print within a week of your last article. You are an evil, evil man Justin. Wink

Good thing I was able to get a copy of Elf Princess Rane before it was too late. Guess I'll have to do the same for this title. Cool
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
i remember watcing it on Sci Fi years ago. hilarious movie.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
UtenaAnthy wrote:
You mean Hiroyuki Kitakubo.

Oops. How stupid of me. Thanks.

You don't have to call yourself stupid, also you are welcome.

I loved the article, I really like Roujin Z and purchased the DVD when I decided I wanted to get all the movies and short OVAs I wanted to see, which led quickly to me trying to find all the OOP DVDs I hadn't acquired yet that I wanted. I also picked up Time Stranger and Please Save My Earth, both of which I loved, and They Were Eleven at this time.

I have a buried treasure request: Strange Dawn. This had 7 episodes of 13 released by Urban Vision released before being cancelled, the second DVD also had a changed ending song, it's an excellent series about two girls with different and well developed personalities being transported to another world, spoiler[where the people are at war and they are thought to be gods, the series deals with their reactions and those of the shorter people who live in that world (this being the reason they are viewed as special) and the history, people, politics, religious faith and lack of religious faith, living conditions and even things like sexual taboos (regarding feet) that exist there,] it's compelling viewing directed by Junichi Sato, and I wonder why it was released by Lil' Vision considering the subject matter and the fairly downbeat feel of the series, it's really not about cute little people being LOL hilarious. Worth seeing, I'd like to see the rest but couldn't find a fansub. It also has good animation and lovely music (the original OP is gorgeous).
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Looks like life is imitating art once again.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I would be lying if I said an old men with destructive beds are particularly relevant to my interests, but if it's Otomo, I'm sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
taeko-san

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Worth seeing, I'd like to see the rest but couldn't find a fansub. It also has good animation and lovely music (the original OP is gorgeous).

Thanks for your insightful notes upon one of my fav anime (I really like "Roujin Z" too, but that's another story)! I wholeheartedly agree with what you say about "Strange Dawn". I bought the two US discs at a sale, knowing nothing about it. I fell in love with the OP song, the engaging character studies and the compelling story-telling as a whole. It's indeed a very strange fantasy series, understandably bombing in the US following a total marketing failure - this is _not_ kiddies' stuff.

Compare with the darker series presentation for the Benelux/France release (available through http://www.amazon.fr et al). Luckily I can digest French, so I know how everything ends for these two teenage girls, lost in a very different world...
jsevakis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
I have a buried treasure request: Strange Dawn.

Thanks for the request. I liked Strange Dawn quite a bit as well, though I have to admit I feel a little uncomfortable recommending something I haven't seen it its entirety. What if it nosedives later?
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Zewerr wrote:
AZN TV has played Roujin Z a few times, and I was able to watch it one of those times. While watching it seemed to go from a normal feeling film into something totally rediculous, and in a good way. Watching a hospital bed go from a hospital bed slowly into what it ended up being was just hysterical. Roujin Z is truely a classic in my opinion.
Thanks Justin! You just convinced me to plop in the recorded DVD I ripped off of the now defunct AZN TV three years ago. Come to think of it, I haven't seen it for about a year now( the disc also includes Project A-ko IV and V) the animation looked very great for it's time( May 1991) the dub was suprisenly really well done! Which is unsual for a CPM dub that was recorded in 1994. Toni Barry who also dubbed "La Blue Girl" using a pseudonym, and did work for Manga Enertianment plays Haruko. Jana Cartpenter who plays Tomoe(Norie in the dub) was also in La Blue Blue and I think also played Keiko Nakadai on "Weather Report Girl". If this is the case then that means that both Tomoe on this anime and Keiko on WRG were played by the same actress in english and the same seiyuu Rika Matsumoto in Japanese!

The action is charming and campy, spoiler[ Those old guy hackers were a nice touch to this farfechted storyline] throw it in with the really catchy and bizzare ending theme "Go Bicycle" and you've got qiute and interesting adventure romp.

Hey, Justin since you've done "Rouijn Z" an anime still in print and that still has a review on this website from a few years ago(animenewsnetwork.com/review/roujin-z) could you do "Weather Report Girl" on Buried Treasure next?
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
taeko-san wrote:
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Worth seeing, I'd like to see the rest but couldn't find a fansub. It also has good animation and lovely music (the original OP is gorgeous).

Thanks for your insightful notes upon one of my favorite anime (I really like "Roujin Z" too, but that's another story)! I wholeheartedly agree with what you say about "Strange Dawn". I bought the two US discs at a sale, knowing nothing about it. I fell in love with the OP song, the engaging character studies and the compelling story-telling as a whole. It's indeed a very strange fantasy series, understandably bombing in the US following a total marketing failure - this is _not_ kiddies' stuff.

Compare with the darker series presentation for the Benelux/France release (available through http://www.amazon.fr et al). Luckily I can digest French, so I know how everything ends for these two teenage girls, lost in a very different world...

I'm glad you liked what I wrote, I sadly speak almost no French (otherwise I'd opt for those discs if they have the original Japanese on), which reminds me I want to pull out those Spanish learning CDs.

jsevakis wrote:
UtenaAnthy wrote:
I have a buried treasure request: Strange Dawn.

Thanks for the request. I liked Strange Dawn quite a bit as well, though I have to admit I feel a little uncomfortable recommending something I haven't seen it its entirety. What if it nosedives later?

Wholly understandable, but maybe one day the rest will be available, at which point the series may cease to be a buried treasure...
jsevakis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
the dub was suprisenly really well done! Which is unsual for a CPM dub that was recorded in 1994. Toni Barry who also dubbed "La Blue Girl" using a pseudonym, and did work for Manga Enertianment plays Haruko. Jana Cartpenter who plays Tomoe(Norie in the dub) was also in La Blue Blue and I think also played Keiko Nakadai on "Weather Report Girl".

That's... not true. Toni Barry is a London-based actress, as is everyone else in the cast. La Blue Girl was recorded in NYC, as was Weather Report Girl.

TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
could you do "Weather Report Girl" on Buried Treasure next?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was wayyyy not a fan of that one.
MH Knights

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
My favorite line of the dub was the "...uncontrolled orgy of destruction..." said by the newscaster.

If we are making suggestion for future columns how about Now and Then, Here and There?
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
the dub was suprisenly really well done! Which is unsual for a CPM dub that was recorded in 1994. Toni Barry who also dubbed "La Blue Girl" using a pseudonym, and did work for Manga Enertianment plays Haruko. Jana Cartpenter who plays Tomoe(Norie in the dub) was also in La Blue Blue and I think also played Keiko Nakadai on "Weather Report Girl".

That's... not true. Toni Barry is a London-based actress, as is everyone else in the cast. La Blue Girl was recorded in NYC, as was Weather Report Girl.

TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
could you do "Weather Report Girl" on Buried Treasure next?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was wayyyy not a fan of that one.
I knew that. CPM's dubbing studio is called "The Bridge" it's located in Brooklyn, NY(of course you should know since you live out there) On my DVD's credits it says that WRG was recorded in a Mamaroneck, NY studio.

Speaking of not being of fan of WRG, how long has it been since you've seen it?It was released by Rightstuf on DVD in 2003 and then remastered in 2005 to fix several coding errors.
PunchAPeach

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I saw this movie on the Funimation Channel, and I agree that it's a really fun experience. I particularly liked the fact that the main characters blend in with the extras and secondary charas, rather than sticking out like a glossy sore thumb. In alot of newer anime, like Gundam Seed Destiny for example, the background characters seem to look normal, whereas the main cast looks like a troop of rainbow-colored supermodels. Roujin-Z has nice, realistic character designs across the whole cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3