• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otaku that watch only anime that "looks" good

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm not one of those diehard fanboys, EVERYTHING is meant to draw in money, no matter how you look at it. There was no rehash, they didn't talk about jenova cells inside cloud, they didn't talk about hojo or sephiroth's real parents, or didn't talk about Zack Fair. It was a completely new story with the different feelings and emotions of sephiroth. They didn't tie it up as well as I would've liked it to be, but it will do. I agree with you completely it was to milk out money from the fans but it wasn't as bad as say, the first appleseed.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I really came to appreciate AC more after reading "On the Way to a Smile." Hopefully they'll all get included with the BD release (whenever that is).
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
agreed about on the way to a smile. Sums it up really well and you realize how much AC has in it.
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
While I'd agree that there's not a causal relationship between animation quality and script strength, you'd probably have a hard case to say that they're not correlated.

There are two problems with what you have written. First, There are usually only three regions of correlation coefficients between two factors: positive, where the increase of one leads to an increase in the other; negative, where the increase of one leads to a decrease in the other; and zero, where there is no correlation. Assume that the correlation coefficient is zero, then there is little point in considering anime titles outside of those which are good graphically--there is already a large pool of good titles in the other areas from which to choose. Assume that the correlation coefficient is positive, then there is good reason to only consider anime titles with good graphics, since they are more likely to be better. It is only in the case where the correlation coefficient is negative that there is a good argument against those who only look for titles that have good graphics. The exception is when the person in question is struggling to find the next title, but that must be established on an individual basis. The second is a possibility of the straw man argument. Everyone else in the topic is talking about looks in general. Specifically, I, the one who first mentioned correlation between graphics and overall quality, used the term graphics. You can certainly use animation quality to mean any graphical quality which is not essentially arbitrary--such as character design--, but I would like to remind you here that this topic is not restricted to the number of distinct frames that comprise a motion, the number of reused frames, and consistency. The distinction between animation quality and graphical quality leads to the next point. However, first I must address a misconception.

Quote:
The other reason is a much less optimistic opinion, anime generally aren't well written.

This is irrelevant. The correlation between two variables measures the ratio of change between the two. Thus, it is the relative quality of the graphics and the relative overall quality that we must consider. Whether you consider anime well-written or not in general has no bearing upon this problem, even if we consider the script equivalent to the overall quality.

Quote:
For me at least, I've watched a good deal of anime, and my patience with the mediocre ones has shortened noticeably. I can sit through a show with a mediocre script if the art and/or animation is pretty, or occasionally I'll sit through a poorly animated show with a good script. Realistically though? The latter is nigh impossible to find for two reasons. If a show has a good script it'll almost certainly be awarded a budget large enough to allow the animation to keep up with the story.

Now we return to the problem of graphical quality. It is extremely simple for me to find good anime titles with bad graphics. This is because graphical quality--and specifically, the measurement system used by those who are the subject of complaint in this topic--makes no allowance for the age of the anime. The progression from cel to CG is an excellent recent example of this phenomenon. Cel techniques will inherently distort the colors of the background due to the layers of cell that are overlaid, whereas most CG titles do not suffer from this problem. Incidentally, this explains why so many anime fans refuse to watch titles made before 2000--that was about the time the industry switched from traditional cel techniques to CG. Thus, we have a system of measuring graphics that is inherently biased against age, and essentially any "classic" title is an example of an anime with bad graphics and good script--Macross, Zeta Gundam, Space Battleship Yamato, Galaxy Express 999, Bubblegum Crisis, etc. The list continues indefinitely.

selenta wrote:
sanosuke32 wrote:
Nope, not true. Advent Children was not meant to be a movie, but merely an epilogue since the game never really ended. If you thought of it as a movie, you probably didn't enjoy it, and if you expected a brand new story, then that explains why you thought it had no story.

Grow up. I didn't want to dignify you with a response, but to dismiss an extremely valid view point because it doesn't fall in line with the preconceived notions you have just exposes how immature your position is. I suggest you wait a few more years before so you can recognize the difference between fact and opinion.

I see no problem with respect to sanosuke32's perception of fact and opinion. What characterizes a statement that is a fact is its theoretical verifiability, and it does not care whether the statement is true, false, or unverified. In fact, a false statement, by definition, is a fact. The intention of a person or group of people who are alive, free, and in full possession of their faculties is a fact. It is theoretically very simple to verify whether the assumed intention is true: Just ask. Keep in mind also that whether the intention was properly conveyed to the audience also has no bearing on the matter.

Last edited by Boomerang Flash on Wed May 21, 2008 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:
I'm not one of those diehard fanboys, EVERYTHING is meant to draw in money, no matter how you look at it. There was no rehash, they didn't talk about jenova cells inside cloud, they didn't talk about hojo or sephiroth's real parents, or didn't talk about Zack Fair. It was a completely new story with the different feelings and emotions of sephiroth. They didn't tie it up as well as I would've liked it to be, but it will do. I agree with you completely it was to milk out money from the fans but it wasn't as bad as say, the first appleseed.

Everything is meant to draw in money obviously, but a lot of it still has artistic integrity to the point it at least doesn't feel like an obvious cash-in. AC felt like a cash-in from the first few minutes straight to the end, and it consisted of just about every trick in the book you'd expect from such a production.

It was a rehash, it just didn't bring the depth along with it. The story elements were shortened but were still more or less the same, including Clouds character from the opening to the end, and Tifa's relationship with him. One of the most cringe worthy moments of the whole movie was the battle between Cloud and Sephiroth where, in both the dub and sub, he spits out corny one-liner after corny one-liner. I swear, the movie practically made me despise his character by the end, when I used to think he was a top notch villain.

Anyways, I don't want to degrade this thread too much in to another discussion of this movies merits. Honestly though, given the number of critical responses this movie received from reputable sources, I don't feel so alone in my perception of it. And for the record, no, "On the Way to a Smile" did not do anything for my respect of the movie, it stands on its own, but doesn't save the movie for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chaos42

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Personaly i like anime when its got a good story behind it and atleast DECENT quality animation-you don't need computer graphics but atleast do make shoddy stuff

also as for advent children my response to that is-I bought it used from the video rental store i work at so i got one thats good as new for less than half the cost.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I personally find art/design to be more important than animation. For me, no amount of frames or animation techniques would matter as long as I have to keep staring at the character designs in spoiler[One Piece].

(spoilered out to protect the fans Wink)
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
I personally find art/design to be more important than animation. For me, no amount of frames or animation techniques would matter as long as I have to keep staring at the character designs in spoiler[One Piece].

I used to think the exact same thing as you...and then I tried actually watching the series. Wink

I've never let "bad," or at the very least, "old," visual styles get in my way of enjoying a series. Hell, I utterly love the red jacket series of Lupin the 3rd...and I managed to get through all 52 episodes of Gigantor. (Seriously, you can't complain about "framerate" or "recycled animation" until you've done the same. Razz ) If a series has inherent value, it'll shine through no matter how it's presented...and I personally feel that there's an inherent value in "dated animation" itself, in that it often manages to invoke a feeling of quaintness or nostalgia. Now, if you're talking about a modern-day series that looks like it was made 30 years ago...then we have a problem.

(Well, either that or DBZ. The last thing I want to stare at for 22 minutes at a time is foot-high hair, massive foreheads, and roid-boys. Razz )
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:59 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
It's still a movie, any way you look at it. I'm well aware of the fact it's meant as an epilogue, it's quite clear from the start of it that knowledge of the game is all but required. It's an epilogue told in a movie format though, like it or not.

Even as an epilogue it still failed completely. It didn't really continue the story, but rather it undid the story and then rehashed it in a quicker, flashier fashion. I don't even think it was meant to be an epilogue either. I'm pretty sure Square meant it as a cash-in to feed off the die-hard fanbase who were so in love with the idea of more FF7 that they would just stand in line.

Unfortunately for them we weren't all fooled. FF7 is still one of my all time favorite RPG's, but frankly, that movie just didn't pull it off. Even the fancy animation didn't hold up to well when it came to movement, and Bahamut looked like one of the plastic looking monsters we remember so fondly from Power Rangers. I wanted to love it, and given the amount of time it was delayed I was incredibly excited when it was released. It would have taken a lot to disappoint me with an FF7 movie, and sadly Square found a way to pull it off.

But really, what did you expect them to do with the story? In the space of a 2 hour movie it was hardly possible for them to create some brand new story to rival that of the original game. The best you could likely do is come up with might not be bad but in all likelihood would probably end up feeling like a weak compared to the original, sequel/spinoff. Look at Dirge of Cerberus for example. I think I'd rather a slight rehashing of the game than that.

For that matter as well, I think you're overstating how much it rehashed. The main focus was Cloud coming to terms with Aerith's death and learning to move on. That never was really covered in the game. Aerith's death was a significant event in the game as it ensured Cloud and the player's hatred of Sephiroth. However, Cloud's subsequent character development really had very little to do with dealing with that loss or blaming himself for it. It was primarily about his coming to terms with who he was. Being that as the case, I think it was a very valid follow up to look at how Cloud deals with the aftermath of the events of the game and thats what AC provided. A nice conclusion and look at what happens next to a game sorely lacking in that department.

As for the animation, I can't say I had the same complaint. Maybe it wasn't perfect but was it really all that bad relative to the norm? I'll give you that Bahamut looked lame though.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Boomerang Flash wrote:
Assume that the correlation coefficient is zero, then there is little point in considering anime titles outside of those which are good graphically--there is already a large pool of good titles in the other areas from which to choose.

I'm having hard time understanding what you said as written, but I'd assume you mean that there are plenty of titles with good graphics, so there's no reason to check out titles with poor graphics. If that's the case, I agree, that was part of my point.

Boomerang Flash wrote:
Assume that the correlation coefficient is positive, then there is good reason to only consider anime titles with good graphics, since they are more likely to be better. It is only in the case where the correlation coefficient is negative that there is a good argument against those who only look for titles that have good graphics.

Uh... yeah, that was my point, and then I explained why I thought the relationship was a positive correlation, and why a negative correlation is unreasonable and not reflective of the current state of most anime.

Boomerang Flash wrote:
The exception is when the person in question is struggling to find the next title, but that must be established on an individual basis.

What? The whole point of what I was saying was in regards to finding more anime to watch that one hasn't seen before. I was saying there's no reason for most people to even check out anime with poor graphical quality.

Boomerang Flash wrote:
The second is a possibility of the straw man argument. Everyone else in the topic is talking about looks in general. Specifically, I, the one who first mentioned correlation between graphics and overall quality, used the term graphics. You can certainly use animation quality to mean any graphical quality which is not essentially arbitrary--such as character design--, but I would like to remind you here that this topic is not restricted to the number of distinct frames that comprise a motion, the number of reused frames, and consistency. The distinction between animation quality and graphical quality leads to the next point.

It's not a straw man argument on my end as much as it is a general misuse of terms on my part. I did in fact mean the general graphical quality of a cartoon produced and aired in Japan, either believe that that was what I meant or don't. Obviously, animation is a MUCH better determinant of the overall quality of an anime than general graphical quality (because it is correlated more strongly with the budget) which is why I probably used the term, but I definitely stand by the same arguments made to general graphical quality.

Boomerang Flash wrote:
Quote:
The other reason is a much less optimistic opinion, anime generally aren't well written.

This is irrelevant. The correlation between two variables measures the ratio of change between the two. Thus, it is the relative quality of the graphics and the relative overall quality that we must consider. Whether you consider anime well-written or not in general has no bearing upon this problem, even if we consider the script equivalent to the overall quality.

No, it is not irrelevant. It is in fact quite relevant to my point. I say that anime budgets are influenced heavily by the quality of their scripts. The budgets generally are directly (positively, since it seems so important to you) correlated to the general graphical quality of an anime. Thus, anime scripts are inherently and directly related to the graphical quality of the anime if you accept both of my premises as reasonably true.

Boomerang Flash wrote:
Now we return to the problem of graphical quality. It is extremely simple for me to find good anime titles with bad graphics. This is because graphical quality--and specifically, the measurement system used by those who are the subject of complaint in this topic--makes no allowance for the age of the anime.

Is it really that ambiguous? I don't think it is, you just measure the visual quality of the show compared to everything else released in the same time period. You also seem to be making the assertion that it is all subjective. This is only as true as the person is determined to make it come true. I doubt you'll find many people on the forums here who thinks Kaze no Stigma looks as good as Haibane Renmei, or that Saint October looks as good as Death Note. I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination in the slightest to determine general graphical quality by the standards of the masses.

Boomerang Flash wrote:
The progression from cel to CG is an excellent recent example of this phenomenon. Cel techniques will inherently distort the colors of the background due to the layers of cell that are overlaid, whereas most CG titles do not suffer from this problem. Incidentally, this explains why so many anime fans refuse to watch titles made before 2000--that was about the time the industry switched from traditional cel techniques to CG. Thus, we have a system of measuring graphics that is inherently biased against age, and essentially any "classic" title is an example of an anime with bad graphics and good script--Macross, Zeta Gundam, Space Battleship Yamato, Galaxy Express 999, Bubblegum Crisis, etc. The list continues indefinitely.

"blah blah blah people think older titles are ugly blah blah blah" So what? Many people now think those shows are ugly, what do you want me to do, tell them they're all wrong? Some of them were produced brilliantly, while others were most certainly not. Artistry is subjective to a point, I'm not arguing that, and some people will never agree with anyone else on anything as long as they live, but let's be reasonable here, some shows have more effort put into them and just look better to everyone.

I already told you my position, if you want to try to determine the worth of a show in terms of its probable budget, script quality, and graphical quality, you have to compare it with other shows that came out in a similar time period. The fact that people tend to frown upon older styles changes absolutely nothing with respect to the budgets required to create them, the quality of the script, or how good the show looks when you compare it to the other shows that came out in a similar time period. Whether you prefer older styles to current methods is a matter of taste, but if you're going to look at older OR newer titles, there's little to no reason to look at anything but the best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
But really, what did you expect them to do with the story? In the space of a 2 hour movie it was hardly possible for them to create some brand new story to rival that of the original game. The best you could likely do is come up with might not be bad but in all likelihood would probably end up feeling like a weak compared to the original, sequel/spinoff. Look at Dirge of Cerberus for example. I think I'd rather a slight rehashing of the game than that.

Two hour movies are made all the time that not only introduce all the characters, but tell a good story to the point of a satisfactory conclusion. Advent Children already had the characters and the back story, it just needed the story. As far as I'm concerned, they actually had less of an excuse.

ikillchicken wrote:
For that matter as well, I think you're overstating how much it rehashed. The main focus was Cloud coming to terms with Aerith's death and learning to move on. That never was really covered in the game. Aerith's death was a significant event in the game as it ensured Cloud and the player's hatred of Sephiroth. However, Cloud's subsequent character development really had very little to do with dealing with that loss or blaming himself for it. It was primarily about his coming to terms with who he was. Being that as the case, I think it was a very valid follow up to look at how Cloud deals with the aftermath of the events of the game and thats what AC provided. A nice conclusion and look at what happens next to a game sorely lacking in that department.

Perhaps it wasn't a total rehash, but frankly it rolled through its new elements by practically replaying the development in the game in a more fast-forward fashion.

ikillchicken wrote:
As for the animation, I can't say I had the same complaint. Maybe it wasn't perfect but was it really all that bad relative to the norm? I'll give you that Bahamut looked lame though.

Of course not, it was really quite good, but people also don't put the norm on the pedastel that they put this movie on either. Not to mention its appearance is a bit central to why I brought it up in the thread in the first place, heh.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
If you review something in parts, animation plays a role.

Say you do:
Characters
Animation/art
Music
Story

Something like that, animation will sway a good chunk of a review score. I'd find it impossible to say animation has no indication of quality or changes nothing. Even the most touching, well written amazing anime with garbage quality animation could still benefit. Whether someone is able to look past the animation or doesn't care is moot, it can not be worse by looking better(unless you are of course looking for the best of the worst, I guess).

That said, personally I like to see pretty pictures with flowing animation. I am forgiving as a whole as I know not everyone has the time/money/man power to accomplish it. I've read multiple times that Spice and Wolf could've used a much better animation budget. While I agree it didn't absolutely wow me most of the time, I never found any glaring problems either. Samurai Deeper Kyo however felt like a mess and the extremely terrible animation job only worsened the wound.

I'd like every anime I watch to look spectacular but I realize they all won't quite make it that high. It matters and lately I've been skewing my habits toward things a little bit prettier, but it doesn't strictly dictate what I watch.
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Boomerang Flash wrote:
Quote:

No, it is not irrelevant. It is in fact quite relevant to my point. I say that anime budgets are influenced heavily by the quality of their scripts.

If you can't read what I have written, then at least you should learn to read what I quoted of what you had written. You made two claims about the quality of the scripts of anime. First, the quality of the script has a positive correlation with the quality of the graphics. Second, the quality of anime scripts in general are bad. It doesn't take much reading comprehension to realize that I had quoted the second point only in the above passage, and you wrote about the first point in reply.

Quote:
Is it really that ambiguous? I don't think it is, you just measure the visual quality of the show compared to everything else released in the same time period.

Is it really that ambiguous? I don't think it is. You just measure the visual quality fo the show compared to everything else that is available to the audience. You see, I have postulated a method of evaluation that is just as arbitrary and unjustified as what what you had written. The difference, however, is that my recommendation is justifiable, whereas yours is not. The reasons for this difference pertain directly to the following.

Quote:
I already told you my position, if you want to try to determine the worth of a show in terms of its probable budget, script quality, and graphical quality, you have to compare it with other shows that came out in a similar time period. The fact that people tend to frown upon older styles changes absolutely nothing with respect to the budgets required to create them, the quality of the script, or how good the show looks when you compare it to the other shows that came out in a similar time period.

Your position is incorrect. Neither I nor any viewer is required to adjust for the period during which the title is produced when considering what show to watch. If an old title is inferior to a new title, then it is inferior to the new title. If we assume that the viewer is choosing based on quality, then the old title should only be watched after the new title is finished. Nor is the preference for newer titles a mere stylistic preference, as you tried to say. I have given a concrete example of the inherent advantage of CG colored titles in controlling the consistency of colors.

To throw your own quote back at you: there's little to no reason to look at anything but the best, and there is no reason to allow the excuse of age get in the way of finding what is really the best.

And lastly, a little misconception of yours that I need to correct.
Quote:
You also seem to be making the assertion that it is all subjective.

I have, in fact, named objective criteria by which one may evaluate the graphical quality of a title. "number of distinct frames that comprise a motion, the number of reused frames, and consistency." The first two are difficult to measure, but it is possible to give numerical answers to the question. The last can also be objectively measured by examining the saturation of colors, character proportions, or--in the case of too many titles--even the colors themselves. These are factors which directly bear upon the graphical quality of the show, rather than the size of the budget, which is only an indirectly related variable.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
The artstyle doesn't effect my choice of a series really. I watch for the storylines. The art has to really rub me the wrong the way in order for me to hate it like the artstyles in Kaidohmaru and Reign: The Conqueror. The former because it's almost completely impossible to tell what's going on and the latter because of the unnaturally hidious character designs.

Also I'd probabally avoid any series with that huge eyed moe/loli look to it which I really don't like that much, unless I wanted a comedy.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
Boomerang Flash wrote:
The progression from cel to CG is an excellent recent example of this phenomenon. Cel techniques will inherently distort the colors of the background due to the layers of cell that are overlaid, whereas most CG titles do not suffer from this problem. Incidentally, this explains why so many anime fans refuse to watch titles made before 2000--that was about the time the industry switched from traditional cel techniques to CG.
I've seen the "2000 barrier" mentioned by many people, mainly younger fans, of course. If these fans got into anime via post-2000 anime, then that style and level of "quality" will be their baseline. They'll accept anime of equal or greater quality than that baseline, but not anime with less, meaning pre-2000 anime. These days I'm seeing another divide surface in the downloading scene with high-definition anime -- some are starting to say, "If it's not high-def, I won't watch it."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3