• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-06-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
I hate to say I'm not surprised by the Pom Poko confession. But I have to disagree and say it's one of my favorite of the Ghibli films.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
As a film-maker, yes, I'd agree Oshii is overrated. However, his work on Patlabor and especially Urusei Yatsura makes me refuse to write him off entirely. UY went downhill after Oshii left.

Lessee... confessions...

1. I find Miyazaki to be overatted.
2. The Beck manga is pretty bad, especially the art. Watch the anime for whatever content it covers. And the music in the Beck anime DOES rock.
3. Evangelion's TV series ending > End of Eva
4. There still has yet to be a character more badass than Captain Harlock.
5. Excel Saga is terrible.
6. I read Air Gear mostly for the fanservice.
7. The Tsukihime anime was excellent.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
Okay here we go:

First I'll second...

"Fullmetal Alchemist is a great show but only in the second season." and "I pretend I read Tenjho Tenge for the fight scenes, but nope, I'm readin' it for the fanservice." and the latter half of "Half of the episodes of Cowboy Bebop are pretty boring, and Ed is a really annoying and pointless character."

Lets see...what else?

-I still kinda like DBZ

-I HATE Metal Gear Solid. I've tried to like it. I really have. I just don't like it. I think the story is massively pretentious, boring, and pointless.

-I'm sick of hearing about how great Miyazaki is. I don't disagree that he deserves that praise, but it just wears on me.

-I really really liked FFVII Advent Children.

-I don't like Escaflowne and I don't know why. In theory it seems great. In fact I really liked the first half. Somehow though the second half just lost my interest. I can't explain it.
Panon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
the_ferret wrote:
I've actually seen people successfully (sad) troll Miyazaki with the "overrated" tag. Because as we all know, anything that's popular is "overrated".

It's not even necessarily trolling, some people genuinely feel that way - the reason of course, is that on the internet "overrated" means "everybody likes this and says it's good, but I don't agree".

I've never made it through a single Miyazaki movie and I honestly never intend to try again. So for me, seeing his works praised as universal goodness does bring the word "overrated" to mind. I just don't actually say it, since objectively I can recognize that it's simply a matter of his works not matching my preferences rather than him not actually being any good.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:

I actually like Naruto (just not the Narutards).

It's not bad, and I don't see anything wrong with liking it.

I think it's just the onslaught of kids with a penchant for whining, refusing to pay to watch it, and spouting Internet memes who give it a bad reputation. It's not Ghibli, but it's not pure crap, either.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
Answerfan wrote:
Anime has "Gods" like Miyazaki, Satoshi Kon, Mamoru Oshii and Rumiko Takahashi. Do you think any of these people (or others not in that small list) don not deserve their "god" status or are overrated?
Gods,all of them.Do you think they would even look in your general direction?I wouldn't be into anime if they weren't. Laughing

Answerman wrote:
3. I pretend I read Tenjho Tenge for the fight scenes, but nope, I'm readin' it for the fanservice.
That edited fanservice is pretty sweet.You must mean Battle Vixens.

Answerman wrote:
7. I think Chobits has some really smart and sometimes poignant things to say about man's relationship to technology.
Yeah,I'd turn Chi on,off,on,off,on,off,on,off.HurHurHur.Yeah,I'm "That guy" Twisted Evil

Answerman wrote:
9. Pom Poko sucks. A lot. It's unwatchable.
Yet you host "Flake of the week",come on.Pom Poko was great.I would have expected Only Yesterday or The Cat Returns.Not Pom Poko.

Sid Warrious wrote:
"how Dragon Ball Z is Yaoi"
That was you're chance to send him to the next dimension.

Sid Warrious wrote:
"Does it matter? As long as people genuinely like the material, isn't that what counts and not who liked it first?"
Good one.When you and people like you,say things like this, do you feel as if you are the hero of the mainstream otaku or something?Do the hardcore aggravate you to no end?It must.It sounds like you like to stew in the hatred,and then bring it in here for the rest of us to make fun of.Let it go. Wink

Kimberly Naff wrote:
He has a bit of the same problem of being an elitist... if too many other people like it, then it loses its appeal to him.
and
So, "That Guy"? Please, next time? Just stay at home with your fansubs!
I think this is the kind of crap that made me a Super Elite about 20 years ago or are you building a new generation of haters?

What is the best Miyazaki Movie? Why?
I'll say Nausicaa the Valley of the Wind,because we had to wait so damn long to get the real thing (and you thought that old butchered VHS copy wouldn't be a collectors item.) Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
Pom Poko only works if you are really into Japanese culture; if you're ok with it, but you don't like in-jokes, Princess Mononoke works better for you.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote
I might not argue that they aren't good, but I'll argue that Miyazaki isn't all that wonderful either. I've enjoyed some of his movies, but haven't loved any of the ones I've seen. The closest was Howl's Moving Castle, which is probably the only one I would willingly watch again. Mostly they're too episodic for my tastes (the ones I've seen are Howl's, Princess Mononoke, Laputa/Castle in the Sky, and Kiki's Delivery Service).

I hate Princess Mononoke though. I had to sit through part of it again while I was staffing a con recently and I played my DS with earphones on the entire time to avoid it. I don't see any reason why it's so popular, but whatever. I can't argue that it doesn't look pretty, but I will never watch it again unless forced by necessity (and even then I'll try to get out of it).

Despite all this...I do want to see Spirited Away.

Anyway, I guess that's one confession. So here are some more.

2. I have never seen Evangelion (though I do have the intention of at least trying it out some day).

3. I think the first episode of Melancholy of Haruhi S-something is one the stupidest idea in the history of television. Who the hell makes the first episode a joke? I turned it off after about 5 minutes and have happily not looked back.

4. Despite it's flaws, Fushigi Yuugi is my absolute favourite anime (and I have spent a small fortune to show my love for it).
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
My confessions.....

I did not cry during saikano. the main male character looked like a pedo.

I cried profusely during full moon wo sagashite..... and fruits basket.

I dunno if this is a confession or not but Avenger is the worst anime I've ever seen. period.

... and I think hunter x hunter is the best shonen series out there.

I still don't understand Akira.

everytime I watch the original GitS movie I fall asleep at the exact same moment. (after the helicopter ride and just before the final battle)
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
All right, I'll bite.

-Miyazaki is brilliant with visuals, but his stories and characters are boring and grating.

-Fullmetal Alchemist is terrible, especially the second season.

-Alucard isn't really that cool.

-Go Nagai can do no wrong.

-These are the only good Gundams: G Gundam, 08th MS Team.

-G Gundam is better.

-Yasuhiro Imagawa is the best director ever in anime.

-I love everything else I've read by Naoki Urasawa, but Monster is... kinda boring.

-GaoGaiGar is better than Gurren Lagann.

-Paranoid Android was way too good for Ergo Proxy.

-Akira was not remotely difficult to understand.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I hate Princess Mononoke though. I had to sit through part of it again while I was staffing a con recently and I played my DS with earphones on the entire time to avoid it. I don't see any reason why it's so popular, but whatever. I can't argue that it doesn't look pretty, but I will never watch it again unless forced by necessity (and even then I'll try to get out of it).
I'll have to say this about Haruhi.If someone didn't tell someone about the last episodes,first,and the episode order I'm pretty sure the U.S. fans,being the way they are, wouldn't have even glanced at the series.

marie-antoinette wrote:
3. I think the first episode of Melancholy of Haruhi S-something is one the stupidest idea in the history of television. Who the hell makes the first episode a joke? I turned it off after about 5 minutes and have happily not looked back.
It took me from when the fansubs were finished in August 2006 to June 2007 to get through those 13 episodes.Every episode (Like Blood+)was a dragfest.
b4k4ni04

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
6. I watched all of Onegai Twins and I liked it.

... ... ... how... ... how... ... HOW COULD YOU *cries*

Potential spoilers so ... into darkness~.:::spoiler[
they bitch gripe and moan through all 12 episodes about who is related and who isn't. For the ONE. and ONLY episode they give up the farce of being whiny, I enjoy it. On the whole I enjoy the Onegai universe, but i struggle through twins as they continuously beat the dead horse of the "who is related who isnt" *sigh*]

random confessions: I Love FMA, but Hate the endings.

I guess that's all i've got :/...
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
CruzMissile wrote:
the main male character looked like a pedo.

What exactly do you mean by that? That he just looked like one or that being in love with Chise made him look like one?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
CruzMissile wrote:
the main male character looked like a pedo.

What exactly do you mean by that? That he just looked like one or that being in love with Chise made him look like one?

I have no idea if this is what the guy was talking about, but I thought he looked kind of old. Especially compared to Chise; just seeing them I wouldn't have guessed they were both highschool students about the same age.

EDIT: Not that this fact really bothered me, it was just something I noted.
the_ferret

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:04 am Reply with quote
LOL, I'm trying to decide if these are sincere or trolls. I mean, "hating" Princess Mononoke? "Liking" Radiohead?

- I've yet to finish the Fullmetal Alchemist anime, and I've sat through almost everything else on [adult swim], including InuYasha.

- I loved s-Cry-ed.

- I'd claim to dislike popular shonen publically but it's easily what I read the most of.

- G Gundam was the best Gundam.

- Gundam Wing was the worst Gundam besides SEED.

- I've flipped through various Oh! great manga for the fanservice but never even read any of it.

- I've never really liked a Macross series.

- I like magical girl manga as a rule. I own all of Cardcaptor Sakura on DVD (18 freaking volumes) and consider it my only essential anime.

- I never understood the Akira movie either. The manga cleared it up. But I still don't "understand" Eva.

- Gunbuster 2/Diebuster was a pale, awful shadow of the original and only the most dense of Gainax fanboys would disagree.

- I am currently re-watching the Hokuto no Ken TV series.

- Finally, I don't like any anime OPs that were made after 1990 and aren't Cowboy Bebop or Yuusha shows. And I don't even watch EDs.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10