• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gurren Lagann - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
I was about to be pissed at the lack of an epilogue.
abynormal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I was about to be pissed at the lack of an epilogue.

HAHAHA! Me too! I thought they'd excised it for time, but I forgot it came after the credits on the last episode.

Man, this series hits all the right chords in me. I was very, very impressed with the dub, considering just how hot-blooded the last few episodes are. I can't wait for the dub DVDs to come out so I can get my grubby mitts on them.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
Anybody want to see a really good show?

Also I want to read and see more and more of this Gurren Lagann world with all the characters and people and I want to read and see more and spoiler[they're all old now I'm going to get old too and then I'll die as well oh wow scary thought but maybe hey let's live life to the fullest, k?]
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
Wow, that was a truly epic ending. I kinda jumped up during that final attack. So exciting!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
Overall, Gurren Lagann was a pretty satisfying experience. Exciting, well-animated, great music, interesting characters. I wouldn't place it as a favorite of mine, because all the over-the-top super robot "hotblood" attitude gets tiring after a while, but it was worth sticking with until the end. Probably one of the better titles in the past few years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
That was absolutely amazing!!! I loved every minute of it. This is definitely one of the best shows that I've seen all year.

This was so enjoyable to watch. It had a little bit of everything in it and I thought the dub was very well-done. It makes me even more excited for the DVD's to come out.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Anybody want to see a really good show?

Also I want to read and see more and more of this Gurren Lagann world with all the characters and people and I want to read and see more and spoiler[they're all old now I'm going to get old too and then I'll die as well oh wow scary thought but maybe hey let's live life to the fullest, k?]

spoiler[Everyone except Leeron. He looks like he hasn't aged one bit and he seemed like he was older than most of the others when the series started!

I just wonder how many years have passed from the end of the series to the epilogue. They mention that it took the government 20 years to organize the assembly for galactic peace, although some of the characters such as Yoko, Rossiu, and Simon look much older than 20 years suggestion, while Gimmy and Darry look about that much older.]
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:41 am Reply with quote
My new favorite anime. I laughed, I cried, but mostly I cheered from all the hot-bloodedness that was appearing before my eyes. I loved it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
joshuafer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:00 am Reply with quote
What a kick ass anime. The one thing I thought sucked was spoiler[ the disappearance of Nia.] Besides that, it kicked ass, man those commercial breaks were pissing me off, I am glad I DVR'ed it, I can not imagine having to wait for the commercial's to be over for some of those scenes !
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
Truly an epic ending. This was firmly at my #5 spot right below FLCL, but now it's tempting to have it reach 4. Guess when I get my rewatch as the DVD volumes come out (next week for Part 1, woot!), I'll be able to decide.

Also now I understand what my friend meant when he said episode 26 would have an Eva-like moment: spoiler[seeing all the characters in bizarre alternate lives had me remembering the Eva alternate reality that Shinji briefly went in a "what if?" world. Pretty neat. Kyle Herbert also did a fine job in his last farewell.]
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
overall i liked the dub, but Sci Fi's treatment of the last two episodes just sucked. i'd recommend checking out the dvd's when they arrive, cause they cut quite a few scenes. for instance, spoiler[they cut the intro to Simon's parallel universe, and they cut fake Kamina being a coward, and groveling to the police (that's why the real Kamina showed up). they also cut the explosion of the spiral universe (what were they thinking?Evil or Very Mad) out of the last episode.]

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
overall i liked the dub, but Sci Fi's treatment of the last two episodes just sucked. i'd recommend checking out the dvd's when they arrive, cause they quite a few scenes. for instance, spoiler[they cut the intro to Simon's parallel universe, and they cut fake Kamina being a coward, and groveling to the police (that's why the real Kamina showed up). they also cut the explosion of the spiral universe (what were they thinking?Evil or Very Mad) out of the last episode.]

Um, I don't know what channel you were watching, but the Sci Fi Channel broadcast I saw had all of those scenes. I have them all on my DVR from last night, and just confirmed that they are there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
v1cious wrote:
overall i liked the dub, but Sci Fi's treatment of the last two episodes just sucked. i'd recommend checking out the dvd's when they arrive, cause they quite a few scenes. for instance, spoiler[they cut the intro to Simon's parallel universe, and they cut fake Kamina being a coward, and groveling to the police (that's why the real Kamina showed up). they also cut the explosion of the spiral universe (what were they thinking?Evil or Very Mad) out of the last episode.]

Um, I don't know what channel you were watching, but the Sci Fi Channel broadcast I saw had all of those scenes. I have them all on my DVR from last night, and just confirmed that they are there.

? i'm sure they cut them out, i even rewatched it today.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Nope they were cut out. spoiler[Before the real Kamina showed up we saw the fake grovelling. Scifi ended the commercials right when the real one showed up. Also, they removed the part where the anti-spiral appeared in Earth's sky. Next was the anchor attack, where Scifi cut back in right when they started pulling it back (they never actually showed the anchors connecting). And no, the series of explosions that followed the anti-spiral's defeat were also cut. We just saw the final cross-explosion in the sky. There were a bunch of multi-colored ones]
joshuafer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
So it would seem they cut stuff, just have to wait until I get the DVD's, I guess, to see all the badass fighting and explosions and such.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 24