• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Man Sentenced for Anime Sharing with Share Program

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
What was that 8 legal series on crunchyroll u listed there and how many illegal series are on there? I people want to keep supportin this so called collage kid carry on but when the industery is run into the ground he will run with money he's made and laugh.

It's more than 8. I list distributors and not all the titles. It's a pain to go thru that site and list all the legitimate stuff. You can just as easily find this info out by going there or doing a Google search.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
So yet again its allright if CR has all that illegal content on it? keep goin there and fund the idiot whos laughing at u and the anime industery.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Harmony Gold/Fireworks International (Gatchaman) isn't having any problems with it either.

The previous entry is being corrected.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Incase You havnt noticed the entire of bandai and funimation do.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
Incase You havnt noticed the entire of bandai and funimation do.

It would be a little hard to back off and keep face at this point in time. They are locked into that stance right now.

If CR had faded into oblivion, they would have been heroes of legitmate download. As what is happening now, CR didn't fade and is getting more legitimate business as what should have been expected given YouTube's history. So now they (Bandai and FUNimation) are losing income due to not reaching potential CR clients.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Quite how anyone can defend crunchyroll for selling illegal content to people is beyond me. Furthermore funimation have recently set up there own LEGAL i reapeat LEGAL channel go there instead.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
Quite how anyone can defend crunchyroll for selling illegal content to people is beyond me. Furthermore funimation have recently set up there own LEGAL i reapeat LEGAL channel go there instead.

And their other legal channel is on YouTube. Isn't that ironic?

CR is baby YouTube. Just like YouTube, it starts out illegitmate and will gradually become more legitimate with time as more businesses invest or make arrangements with them. I find its evolution very interesting to watch.

It's also not a new one. Lots of enterprises have started out illegit and became legit. BitTorrent and Azureus did a similar thing for example.

So I'm basicaly done with getting upset or offended when I see an entity that was illegit trying to become legit.
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
^ Which is exactly what CR is. An illegal site trying to become "legit" by accquiring Gonzo and so forth. A shame. It puts up fansubs and expected people to pay for higher quality footage.

CR is right up there with Naruto Fans. No many how legit they can "try" to become, CR will never appease to the people who know the truth.
Dardre

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

It's more than 8. I list distributors and not all the titles. It's a pain to go thru that site and list all the legitimate stuff. You can just as easily find this info out by going there or doing a Google search.

It really doesn't matter how much is legal, the fact that they have copyrighted material for which they don't have a license available for download is a crime; doubly-so if they are making money off of it.

If CR really wants to be considered legit, then they can do something pretty easy to become so... get rid of all downloads they don't have a license for; and do so promptly and without outside pressure.

I'm sorry, but just because CR has some series for legal download does not make them totally legit. The only way to become legit is to offer only those series they have a license for.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, they only charge extra for higher quality downloads for special cases like Strike Witches now.

Dardre, if you used that as your litmus test for who is legit, then the other sites like YouTube, Reever and Nico Nico would be considered illegit.
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
^ For special cases? Give me a break. They have the higher quality option available for all cases. Also, in the past, they limit how much you can see on Crunchyroll with bandwith limits. They ask you to pay more to see more. Youtube does that? Nope.

Stop trying to bring up Youtube to erradicate CR's own wrong doings. We all are aware of Youtube's own situation which rides between fan vids, actual uploads, and copyright infringement. At least, Youtube is not asking any of its users to pay to view more.
Dardre

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Dardre, if you used that as your litmus test for who is legit, then the other sites like YouTube, Reever and Nico Nico would be considered illegit.

Youtube was never intended to be used to show copyrighted material. That happened due to users, and Youtube does make an effort to remove those videos that break copyright law. Does CR do this?

And as the poster above me says: Youtube does not ask it's users for money for better quality videos.
magatsu17

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a lot of you are just haters, Crunchyroll doesn't sell anime, just makes lets people download its videos like a million other sites out there. There are so many sites that stream anime and have it availbe for download illegally that for you just to be going after crunchyroll seems just wrong to me.

What really Urks me is that with so much anime that comes out in Japan that people around the world want to watch, why don't the people who distribute it make it easy for its fans to find it. While its finally starting to happen now, it's very late in coming.

How many anime fans watch new episodes of anime weekly online through streaming sites of shows that are already being shown on Japanese TV. With such a wide audience of fans out there for their shows, and a cheep easy way for then to broadcast them online it amazes me they don't take advantage of it.

Imagine if shows like Naruto and Bleach were made availbe online they were shown on TV. You think they fans of the shows around the world would mind seeing a few comercials? I know i wouldn't, when that finally be less of a problem.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
I actually just got my first taste of a real illegal site that catered to more than just anime fans the other day. All_ _ is more of a threat to everyone more than CR or even Youtube. Its just that that is where people expect folks to go. It's kinda funny, yet sad to watch all that potential cash flow go to waste to save an industry that needs to be saved. To bad they can't realize it.

Oh, and so it wasn't misunderstood, the site I spoke of doesn't run on donations from what i can tell. It just... exists. I'm not sure how though.

As for this guy, well. Good luck to him. The title of this article made me wonder, in Japan have there ever been any woman uploaders that have been caught?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kireek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:06 am Reply with quote
magatsu17 wrote:
Sounds like a lot of you are just haters, Crunchyroll doesn't sell anime, just makes lets people download its videos like a million other sites out there. There are so many sites that stream anime and have it availbe for download illegally that for you just to be going after crunchyroll seems just wrong to me.

What really Urks me is that with so much anime that comes out in Japan that people around the world want to watch, why don't the people who distribute it make it easy for its fans to find it. While its finally starting to happen now, it's very late in coming.

How many anime fans watch new episodes of anime weekly online through streaming sites of shows that are already being shown on Japanese TV. With such a wide audience of fans out there for their shows, and a cheep easy way for then to broadcast them online it amazes me they don't take advantage of it.

Imagine if shows like Naruto and Bleach were made availbe online they were shown on TV. You think they fans of the shows around the world would mind seeing a few comercials? I know i wouldn't, when that finally be less of a problem.

There are people on CR who buy these badges? and that money goes straight to this guys back pocket and not the anime industery. On top of this they are paying him to watch mainly illegal files.

On a personall note I am dissapointed with UDON I have brought his streefighter comics and stuf in the past.. I understand he probebly wants to advertise his work to the masses but I dont like him doing it through that site.

And why doesnt this Shinji come out and identify himself???? Oh thats right because he knows he would be arrested...he's doing that site out of the goodness of his heart?? yeah right. People are paying this guy money rather than the anime industery!!!!!!! how crazy can you be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7