• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America to Release House of Five Leaves on DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chii85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Why did NIS get the rights? Why not Funimation? They simulcast it! NIS release every title sub only (at this point)(I don't know when they will start dubbing)! Funimation Dubbs every title for home video release! Why them?

I'm sorry about the soapboxing but I expressing my opinion that NIS should do some dubbs, I don't hate them, but I hate it when an anime title does not get dub. Crying or Very sad Mad

Last edited by Chii85 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered this along with the Princess Jellyfish LE. So happy now!!

Tatami Galaxy would make me happy too, but I would really like a dub for that show. The poor actor would have to duplicate Shintarō Asanuma's wicked, dry, rapid-fire delivery. That wouldn't be easy.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Excellent news!
This is why I'm glad that over the last year or 2, we actually have US companies willing to license and put out sub-only DVD releases that otherwise wouldn't be financially possible with a dub.
While not everyone is a fan of sub-only, it's much better than not having a show released at all!
Such a shame from FUNimation though.
Another quality show goes in the radar because they couldn't have dubbed it.
Another's loss is another's gain though!
Chii85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Excellent news!
This is why I'm glad that over the last year or 2, we actually have US companies willing to license and put out sub-only DVD releases that otherwise wouldn't be financially possible with a dub.
While not everyone is a fan of sub-only, it's much better than not having a show released at all!
Such a shame from FUNimation though.
Another quality show goes in the radar because they couldn't have dubbed it.
Another's loss is another's gain though!

But there is a chance that existing title will get a dubb right? Like Sentai and Media Blasters are doing now.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
Why did NIS get the rights? Why not Funimation? They simulcast it!
As pointed out in today's ANNCast, and as posted by Lance in its discussion topic, not all of their simulcasts get picked up for DVD/Blu-ray release, so that was apparently the case for House of Five Leaves.

One day, it may be dubbed, like some of the titles Sentai Filmworks went back and dubbed after being released sub-only. It's a patient waiting game. NIS is still fairly new to the anime business, so dubbing may still be out of the picture right now, even with having a few big titles under their belt.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
Why did NIS get the rights? Why not Funimation?

Quote:
NIS release every title sub only (at this point)(I don't know when they will start dubbing)! Funimation Dubbs every title for home video release!

You just answered your own question. NISA got the show because Funimation didn't want it. It's their policy to only release dubbed shows and some shows just aren't profitable enough to dub. Hence, they passed.

I like to see shows dubbed too but the truth is, when it comes to this and many other shows, it's not feasible. It's only because NISA doesn't dub that this show was picked up at all.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
They use non-standard sized packaging for their premium editions. I love them, but they drive some people crazy because they are hard to put on shelves that have normal sized cases. I don't even bother, I have a separate section for my NISA premiums.
Ah, so I'll have to make space for it with my "weird" boxsets (at this point, that section consists of a stack of the 3 Rurouni Kenshin bento boxes and the wooden Samurai Deeper Kyo artbox). So if they're nonstandard compared to normal boxsets are they at least standard amongst themselves? And if so, what dimensions are we talking about-- as large as the average artbook?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Razzuel wrote:

Actually, all four Blu-ray volumes of The Tatami Galaxy are 40% off on Amazon Japan right now. Great Scott! I am so tempted.

Probably a really silly question, but are they subtitled in English?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
@ poonk -Yes, they are standard among themselves, thankfully. Just measured my Arawaka Under the Bridge and it is a shade under 8 inches wide, a shade under 11 inches tall and a shade under an inch thick. So interms of length and width, yes, I think about the size of the average artbook.

Last edited by Blood- on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
They are not English subbed. If you don't mind going the DVD route instead of BD, Beez is selling a DVD set on Amazon.co.uk right now for around ~40 USD. Probably a barebones release, but still an option for those who want to own the show.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ poonk -Yes, they are standard among themselves, thankfully. Just measured my Arawaka Under the Bridge and it is a shade under 8 inches wide, a shade under 11 inches tall and a shade under an inch thick. So interms of length and width, yes, I think about the size of the average artbook.
Hmm, so a little smaller than a basic 8.5"x11" sheet of paper, width- & height-wise. Thanks-- this will help me plan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
This is GREAT! I enjoyed Five Leaves when it was simulcast, looking foward to getting this, given idealy I would have prefered a dub... but meh, this is still pretty epic news imo! Look foward to pre-ordering this when I can!
Chii85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Chii85 wrote:
As pointed out in today's ANNCast, and as posted by Lance in its discussion topic, not all of their simulcasts get picked up for DVD/Blu-ray release, so that was apparently the case for House of Five Leaves.

One day, it may be dubbed, like some of the titles Sentai Filmworks went back and dubbed after being released sub-only. It's a patient waiting game. NIS is still fairly new to the anime business, so dubbing may still be out of the picture right now, even with having a few big titles under their belt.

Yes they are still new, but they have the potenial to start dubbing, if they have the right finances and a studo to do it. So that there is a chance that they might dubb it.
salvationtoakuma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
They are not English subbed. If you don't mind going the DVD route instead of BD, Beez is selling a DVD set on Amazon.co.uk right now for around ~40 USD. Probably a barebones release, but still an option for those who want to own the show.

That's awesome, but I'm really iffy about region locks and the like. But I'm tired of waiting for an American release! I really don't know why nobody's picked it up yet; it's really good.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Chii85 wrote:

Yes they are still new, but they have the potenial to start dubbing, if they have the right finances and a studo to do it. So that there is a chance that they might dubb it.

Usually that is contingent on how well the subtitled version sells.

In the Funimation ANNCast, Lance remarked that the cost of a dub is again as much as the cost of the license, and Funimation has their dubbing studios in-house!! For a small company like NISA, a dub will probably cost even more, because they have no facilities to do it in-house, like Funimation. They have to rent the studio, and that is not cheap.

I am just (ecstatic-ly) surprised to see this show get a physical release at all, since it is not a mainstream show in an already niche market. Putting a dub on this would probably hurt NISA financially.

I heard a dub costs around $15,000.00 to $20,000.00. If you have and are willing to invest that kind of money, I'm sure that the anime companies would be happy to set up a meeting with you!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5