• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fullmetal Alchemist TV Anime Series Confirmed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
ChasingPhantoms wrote:
I'm gonna be the first to come out and say DO NOT WANT. I'm one of the like... 6 fans in existance who thought the anime was superior to the manga, so the thought of them retconning the whole series just to redo it following the manga makes me livid. But the thought of a continution of the anime isn't any better. I just. It's obvious that they are doing this to make more money and I just don't see it living up to the first series. Lighting doesn't strike in the same place twice, etc.

If this was all about making as much money as quickly as possible, they would have done it MUCH sooner, and they wouldn't have been so hush-hush about it.
ChasingPhantoms

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
ChasingPhantoms wrote:
I'm gonna be the first to come out and say DO NOT WANT. I'm one of the like... 6 fans in existance who thought the anime was superior to the manga, so the thought of them retconning the whole series just to redo it following the manga makes me livid. But the thought of a continution of the anime isn't any better. I just. It's obvious that they are doing this to make more money and I just don't see it living up to the first series. Lighting doesn't strike in the same place twice, etc.

If this was all about making as much money as quickly as possible, they would have done it MUCH sooner, and they wouldn't have been so hush-hush about it.

It's not about making as much money as quickly as possible, it's about making money. Period. If they still think after all this time that they can make a hefty profit off of FMA then they're gonna do it. As far as I can understand, the original director did not want any continuation and since it seems he won't be involved in this new series... yeah, I really can't see how this is anything but a rehash of an old cash cow.
Jori-Ness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy about this. We get to see Ling, Ran Fan and Mei in anime, along with some fantastic scenes from the manga.

I'M SO EXCITED!
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait!!! WHAT!!! O..M..G!!! Saying I can't wait is an understatement. I can see it now... every fansub group that exists' will be working on this one. Cool . This is huge dude.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Jori-Ness wrote:
I'm so happy about this. We get to see Ling, Ran Fan and Mei in anime, along with some fantastic scenes from the manga.

I'M SO EXCITED!

can some one say Ultimate Hellsing?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
And here I thought that you were gonna be more livid at this news, Penguin. Razz

Hmm. I thought that's what I was being. I guess I'm just interested in seeing what'll happen.

Maybe if it's set in our world, Edward will have to become something other than an alchemist.

Fullmetal Pharmacist! He's got a perscription... for justice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Fullmetal Pharmacist! He's got a perscription... for justice!

Or perhaps Fullmetal Botanist? :3

I still think they're just going to animate the manga - I have no idea how Ed and Al could spoiler[ever come back to the alchemy world ] after the movie, and I can't think of anything they could write that wouldn't sound contrived (although I suppose that's why they're having professionals do this and not me). And hey, with the manga being animated not only do we get to see more of the alchemy world and learn more about it, but there's tons of Roy backstory for me to squeal at!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap! It boggles my mind how they'll do this.

I did like the anime more than the manga though... The manga wasn't really doing it for me. :\
Dune

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts:

1. Hooray! More FMA. The first property in a long time that I'm really looking forward to. I don't expect this to be as good as Mizushima's work, though atleast I'll probably get to see Funimation do a great job again with Arakawa's characters.

2.Not looking forward to reliving debates over the changes Mizushima made.
tsukikage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm in the "the movie pretty much drew it to an end" camp. I mean, they could do something like bring the brothers back home, but it feels like it'll make the series less... Epic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JCB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm willing to call this the second most surprising and significant new anime announcement I've ever heard, the first being the Revival of Evangelion. A sequel to Fullmetal Alchemist is something I've thought about ever since the series ended. But despite its popularity, some anime just doesn't lend itself well to continuation, no matter how much fans may want it. Cowboy Bebop is a great example. (Though if that were ever announced I would probably dance naked through the streets regardless.)

Like Penguintruth said, I also prefer the FMA anime to the manga. It was much more emotionally poignant than the manga and had a more cohesive and well paced story, even if I also thought, like most others, that the parallel world ending was ill-conceived at best and sloppy at worst. All things considered I wouldn't hate to see a sequel. And that's the key word: sequel.

Now is the time for specualting about what FMA2 (for lack of a better name) would be. First off, let me just say that an alternative retelling, like so many anime series before it, is right out. The fans wouldn't stand for it, and it's just a terrible idea in any case. Lots of you are pointing to Hellsing Ultimate and hoping for a manga-faithful version. I for one would hate to see that happen.

Aside from my previous statement that I don't much care for parts of Arakawa's version (the Ishbalan War flashback was a chore to get through and her origin for the Homunculi is dull), there are several characters from the manga I would love to see incorporated into the anime in some form: Lin and Armstrong's sister in particular. Unfortunately a direct adaptation of the manga would be awfully impractical due to the length of the series and the amount a redundancy it would require. The first season of the original anime was quite faithful to the manga, so much of the show would simply be remade almost as is. One idea would be to start from where they had initially diverged and continue from there (similar to what Yukito Kishiro did with his Battle Angel sequel) but that would be a little unwieldy and complicated.

That's why I think they should stick with what they already have, and present the following two possibilities:

First, and the most simple one, continue from the film by having Ed and Al somehow return to their own world. (Obviously if they adventured on Earth, with the complete absence of alchemy, it would be forced into a WWII story, and I don't think anyone wants to see that happen.) From that point, they could head in any direction they want.

Second suggestion, a variation on the "divergent storyline" idea, is that they begin from the ending of the tv series, eliminating the plot of the movie entirely. This is what I would most like to see, primarily because I hated The Conquerors of Shamballa. An interesting story: I actually had this idea the night that the final episode of the series aired in America. I mentioned to a friend that if they had changed the ending slightly, they could have easily gone straight into a second series. When asked how, I elaborated with the following concept...

[Warning - something vaguely akin to fanfiction ahead]
Instead of sending Ed to our world, his attempt to restore Al's body could have simply caused him to sacrifice his entire being, basically ending the series with Ed's death, and Al's return to "life." From there you could begin a new story with Al and Wrath as the main characters. Due to his interaction with the Gate, Al would be granted unique abilities making him the most powerful alchemist in the world. (This was also touched upon in the film.) Wrath, being the only surviving homunculus, and feeling he owed a debt of gratitude to Ed and Al would join Al on his new journey. As in the movie he would be given automail limbs and be trained to fight, but in an homage to Ed's fighting style Winry would modify her design to include a transformable blade in Wrath's arm. The plot to follow would be fairly similar in structure to the first series, with Al researching the Gate in his hopes of finding a way to bring Ed back and helping the people of Amestris along the way. At that point my only idea for a main villain was to have someone resurrect Ed as a Homunculus or something. Yeah...

Sorry for subjecting you all to this. (Those of you brave enough to read it.) In conclusion, an FMA sequel would be great. Of course it will probably be years before we see it here.

PS: A note to those complaining about how a new series would exclude a post-pubescent Aaron Dismuke from playing Alphonse...
1. Oh please get over yourselves. The viability of English dub actors should be the last thing considered when discussing an anime sequel. Quite frankly I've always been a little ticked off by the cult following that dub actors receive in America, and the whole "fangirls swooning over teen heartthrob Aaron Dismuke" scene has been the most disgusting yet.
2. Why? As in "Why could he not play him?" His age wouldn't necessarily rule him out as any sequel following the anime series at this point would have him back in his real body, hormones and all. A post-pubescent Al isn't that much of a stretch, it's actually a given.

Last edited by JCB on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I was originally going to post a rant about how disgusted I was by this announcement, asking: "Why BONES couldn't have just left us to read the manga and be done with it?" However, as I typed I found myself becoming more intrigued, rather than angry. I'm actually curious to see just how this new series will turn out. Especially if Seiji Mizushima is truly not going to be involved. What are they going to do? Continue on from where the movie left off an continue the anime's story? Continue from the movie and miraculously get back to the manga storyline? Start anew a la Hellsing Ultimate? The possibilities just kept flowing into my mind and I became very excited.

As I thought about this more, though, I became very saddened by this news. Why? Because Alphonse will have to be recast in the dub when FUNimation will inevitably snatches up the license (if they don't manage to get this, it'll be an embarrassment). It's impossible for Aaron Dismuke to play Alphonse nowadays. A darn shame, because Aaron IS Alphonse Elric. One of the most brilliant dub castings EVER.

Still, I'll be watching this new series regardless. Hopefully they'll be able to bring back most of the original dub cast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChasingPhantoms

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm still holding out hope that they'll make more of a prequel series about the Homunculi. That's really the only way I can accept this and the only thing that really just makes sense all around. The homunculi, all of them, have a lot of stories left to be told whereas anything they could do post series would be incredibly forced or they'd have to retcon the movie. And I can't see them retconning the whole anime to do a remake following the manga.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
The manga is still on-going?

If so then they still have material to work with. I'm both excited but confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
You know what I'm afraid of? That the second series will wind up looking like Gunslinger Girl season II. Crappy looking and disjointed. I sure hope that won't be the case. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 14