• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Reveals Clannad Anime License

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panda Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
hmm... i actually thought funi was going to get this because of the current state of which adv is in, however it might be that adv is dubbing it and funi is distributing

Maybe, either way, I'm excited. If the dub sucks, I will just watch the Subbed version on the DVD.
Akari-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
This news has made me a really happy KyoAni fangirl Very Happy . I really love Clannad and I really hope that ADV does really have the license for it. Clannad was my favorite series from 2007 and it is one of my all time favorite series. I am a Visual Art's/Key fangirl and I love all the anime series that they have done. Clannad is my favorite series of theirs with Kanon being second, and Air being third. I hope that the same voice talents that worked on Air and Kanon work on Clannad as well.

As for the actual presentation of the series I hope that ADV goes with the widescreen version as opposed to the full screen version. When Clannad was aired on TV in Japan it was originally aired in full screen and then aired later in widescreen format. I have watched Clannad in both formats and I found that the series really benefitted from the widescreen presentation. Clannad is a really beautiful, well done series and I hope that it gets the best treatment possible because I love the series so much. Dango, dango, dango, dango, dango, dango daikazoku.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
I'm glad for this news, hopefully the covers will be as lovely as the R2 ones. As for the dub, I just can't wait to see who they cast for Sunohara. LOL

Pssst, starts with "G" and rhymes with "Feg Ayres."

...WHAT?? You were ALL thinking it!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
Is that so? They released Air in its entirety months before the Sojitz freeze earlier this year. They put out the first disc only four months after announcing it and gave it a monthly release, pretty nice treatment for a show like Air don't you think? They didn't even treat their real seller of this year that well (hint: it's also a video game-based show). Rolling Eyes

Personally I'm happy they got Clannad but I'll pass if they decide to do singles and not sets, it's just another thinpak to wait for then. Hopefully they've learned something from this year...

Well, they were prob trying to put the titles out as fast as they could before the Sojitz deadline took effect. We got 5 volumes of Kanon, all of Air , 5 volume of Red Garden, 5 volumes of Pumpkin Scissors, 3 volumes of Tokyo Majin, 2 volumes of DMC and 5 cm/s to name a few. They did a good job at putting it out.

Yes, hopefully they did learn something. That the care that they put into Kanon and DMC singles translated into sales that even cheap FUNi could not ignore which means we're getting the last volumes of both titles. Pat yourself on the back ADV for a job well done.

Thank you ADV for Air and Kanon singles and box. Looking forward to Clannad and how you'll release the singles and what design you'll choose for the box. Very Happy
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
tasogarenootome wrote:
I'm glad for this news, hopefully the covers will be as lovely as the R2 ones. As for the dub, I just can't wait to see who they cast for Sunohara. LOL

Pssst, starts with "G" and rhymes with "Feg Ayres."

...WHAT?? You were ALL thinking it!

Hmmm, Vic Mignogna?

Smile I hope for Greg Ayres, but they used him as Kitagawa already so I wonder if they'd reuse him for Sunohara?
icepick314

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
i thought ADV did excellent dubbing on UFO Princess Valkyrie, Kanon, and Air...

i'm sure few people have their difference in whoever does dubbing but i watched all those 3 series in both languages and throughly enjoyed every one of them...

Kyogissun wrote:
...No... no no no no no no no.

THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING.

DEAR GOD, PLEASE LET IT BE A LIE. PLEASE LET THIS BE A RUMOR.

Some may be calling my comment an overreaction, but I just don't trust CLANNAD to be in good hands of a company who dubbed UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie. That show all its own was a nightmare, not just cause of their dub, I couldn't care about that, it was just a bad show in general.

Please let this be some really bad rumor. They REALLY mishandled the direction of Air TV. And granted, Kanon was not as bad, sans maybe one character, but they really missed the characteristics of most of the persona's of the former title's cast.

Again, disclaimer, this is the one show I am a purist about. Key's works are not something to be tampered with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Metatron:
Quote:
ADV's dubs for Shinkai's films are HORRIFIC. The translations are fine, yeah, but the voice acting and direction is truly awful.

You should be glad ADV's licensed the Shinkai stuff in the first place, since no one else would touch it in the current market.

Quote:
Though I do have to question the wisdom of licensing the same sort of series (low sales potential, low crossover/mainstream appeal) that got you into the financial difficulties that resulted in the loss of your business partner

Their business partner stabbed them in the back for more money. That's all there is to it. If those shows they picked up were doing that badly, then DMC wouldn't have been called a best-seller, and FUNi wouldn't bother touching them. [Geneon's crap is a different story, though.]

Quote:
ADV needs something that will sell outside of the moe otaku fanbase if they actually want to dig themselves out of their hole.

Replace ADV with FUNimation, and I'll agree. [*cough* Shana *cough*]

Tyrenol:
Quote:
I may be the only one, but I thought ADV's flinging of "Welcome to NHK" towards Crunchyroll was "a middle finger" towards the general mainstream anime fandom.

General anime fandom wouldn't buy a series like NHK.

FW:
Quote:
I don't want to pay 25 dollars on each single disc then, all of a sudden, ADV relinquishes rights, and im left without the final effing disc (i.e. Welcome to the NHK, Kanon).

As I said before, that wasn't ADV's fault.

Quote:
I think the solution to the problem would either be releasing the series in two parts (funimation has started doing this with many of their new series, as well as their re-releases through their "veridian" line),

FUNimation's still gonna release singles for Claymore, though. Anyway, there's no way for ADV to make money if they release the sucker in boxes. FUNi can afford it, because they either paid cheap for a show, or they've already made their money back on it.

Manslayer:
Quote:
They released Air in its entirety months before the Sojitz freeze earlier this year.

Perhaps, but you don't know if there weren't already issues brewing during that same period. Especially since they released those volumes of Air so close together, instead of spacing them apart, as usual.
amazingwind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Clannad licensed I am so happy!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

it could not have been picked up by a better company, i love ADV films dubs. If someone else got it my incentive to buy would be smaller

i laugh at all the clueless sub viewers Kanon and Air and ADV releases in the last year is always voted and praised for tight and great dubbing by review writers and fans at this site.

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2008-01-01

Quote:

AnimeNewsNetwork best of the year awards

Best dub

Best English Dub Performance – Male/Female: Chris Patton as Tatsuhiro Sato, Welcome to the NHK;

hikaru004 wrote:
ManSlayer07 wrote:
Is that so? They released Air in its entirety months before the Sojitz freeze earlier this year. They put out the first disc only four months after announcing it and gave it a monthly release, pretty nice treatment for a show like Air don't you think? They didn't even treat their real seller of this year that well (hint: it's also a video game-based show). Rolling Eyes

Personally I'm happy they got Clannad but I'll pass if they decide to do singles and not sets, it's just another thinpak to wait for then. Hopefully they've learned something from this year...

Well, they were prob trying to put the titles out as fast as they could before the Sojitz deadline took effect. We got 5 volumes of Kanon, all of Air , 5 volume of Red Garden, 5 volumes of Pumpkin Scissors, 3 volumes of Tokyo Majin, 2 volumes of DMC and 5 cm/s to name a few. They did a good job at putting it out.

Yes, hopefully they did learn something. That the care that they put into Kanon and DMC singles translated into sales that even cheap FUNi could not ignore which means we're getting the last volumes of both titles. Pat yourself on the back ADV for a job well done.

Thank you ADV for Air and Kanon singles and box. Looking forward to Clannad and how you'll release the singles and what design you'll choose for the box. Very Happy

totally with you! Cool
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Metatron:
Quote:
ADV's dubs for Shinkai's films are HORRIFIC. The translations are fine, yeah, but the voice acting and direction is truly awful.

You should be glad ADV's licensed the Shinkai stuff in the first place, since no one else would touch it in the current market.

One is allowed to be glad for a release of a product and still recognize that the dub work on it is godawful. There's a big difference between subdued but poignant and emotionless robotic.
darcerin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not griping over the potential license, I'd like to know why Yotsuba&! manga is still on hiatus? And where is the rest of the Full Moon DVDs?

Maybe they'll complete these in due time, but I'd figure they'd get the best selling manga they've got the license for NOW other than getting a brand new license?

And seriously, don't drop the ball on this one ADV, my best friend will cry for months if you screw around and don't release it at all. It's all she's talked about for months since it came out in Japan.
Flaed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Metatron:
Quote:

One is allowed to be glad for a release of a product and still recognize that the dub work on it is godawful. There's a big difference between subdued but poignant and emotionless robotic.

Eh? I thought the Voices dub was not very good at all, but I've seen The Place Promised in Our Early Days both ways and the dub's quite nice. It's certainly not "horrific" or "godawful," nor did I find it robotic. I thought Jessica Boone and Chris Patton both did pretty fine jobs.

A dub like Crest of the Stars = horrific. Revolutionary Girl Utena = godawful. But The Place Promised in Our Early Days is merely okay, at worst.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear ADV's got another release going out now.

...still waiting for someone to get zetsubou sensei...
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
If this is true, then fantastic job ADV. And coming out of Hurricane Ike no less. This is the only series from The Holy Trinity of Key that I've watched, so I'll be glad to be able to pick it up.

Also, to the people who have said that ADV needs to pick up a title that isn't niche; don't be so sure that Clannad can't sell well. It may not be completely mainstream, but Kanon in particular seemed to have pretty solid sales numbers; I saw it place high consistently on online retail sites and AoD.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
If anyone makes a comment about 'licensing moe crap' without having seen Clannad before, I'll blow a gasket 8D' Clannad is the type of show that appeals to even people who -hate- moe.

I just wish freaking Madman would license these things already. We got bloody Shuffle, but no Air or Kanon. I hate being an anime fan (in particular, a moe anime fan) in Australia sometimes.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
amazingwind wrote:
i laugh at all the clueless sub viewers Kanon and Air and ADV releases in the last year is always voted and praised for tight and great dubbing by review writers and fans at this site.

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2008-01-01

Quote:

AnimeNewsNetwork best of the year awards

Best dub

Best English Dub Performance – Male/Female: Chris Patton as Tatsuhiro Sato, Welcome to the NHK;

I hate to go off-topic, but I'd like to point out that "Best dub" is a purely subjective opinion of a writer or group of voters. For a sub fan who thinks all dubs are trash, all that might mean is that the dub was simply the least of the worst of the year.

I mean, you might as well laugh at all the clueless vanilla lovers when you're a chocolate ice cream man. Tastes differ from person to person. Coming down on people for what amounts to having a differing sense of aesthetics isn't particularly cool (and there are folks on both sides of the dubs vs. subs debate who are guilty of this).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12